• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc golf college

I see that Texas State is #10 on the list. They have a decent course on campus and is about 20 miles south of Austin. Disc Nation is in Austin, so availability of discs wouldn't be a problem.

As for having fun, both of my kids went to different colleges and took road trips to Texas State "to party". I'm not sure that would be great for learning, but you wouldn't have to travel to get to party central.

My nephew graduated from Texas State, so it is possible. He definitely had fun. He still lives down there. He's not moving back to Dallas.

You guys are boneheads if you haven't used the map feature to figure out who's got it good for courses. Wanna know? #2, South Alabama in Mobile. 1 course on campus, 2 courses within 1 mile in city parks, 3 courses within 7 miles. 6 18-hole courses within 7 miles, none less than 3.5/5.

Last edited:
You guys are boneheads if you haven't used the map feature to figure out who's got it good for courses. Wanna know? #2, South Alabama in Mobile. 1 course on campus, 2 courses within 1/2 mile in city parks, 3 courses within 5 miles. 6 18-hole courses within 5 miles, none less than 3.5/5.

Sounds like the place I'd go. But... I'm getting ready to retire, not go to college.

Sounds like the place I'd go. But... I'm getting ready to retire, not go to college.

Yeah, but---it'd be a great disc golf holiday, like Santa Cruz or Clearwater or Portland or Dallas or NC or WI or........Finland.

Last edited:
I know I'm being a homer but NC State is the place to be. Top 10 team, 8 courses with a 3 disc rating or higher within 25 miles, a Houck championship level course almost complete, there's like 5 more courses in the works as of now, great private courses in the area, it's in NC which is well known for it's disc golf, Charlotte is 3 hours away when you want to make a trip, and wolfpack red is the best damn color to wear.

I like your style! and you are aware that NCSU offers distance education classes.. take 2 and your on the team haha

I've got to take a minute to represent my Alma Mater. If you want to be an engineer, go to Georgia Tech. The school has great academics, and a strong disc golf club and team. There are two brick and mortar disc golf shops and dozens of courses in the metro area. It's also centrally located in the hotbed of collegiate golf (less than two hours to SECO, Georgia State Championships, Georgia Tech Invitational, Alabama Slammer, and Nationals).

The University of Texas also just formed a club. Plenty of quality courses <20 minutes from campus, and a bunch of other courses. Plus DiscNation is in our backyard! The only drawback is that a car is required, but if you're in the club transportation isn't an issue.

It sounds like the OP wants to know which colleges might be the best to attend for a DG'r, insofar as quality courses nearby,etc. Maybe not so much which schools have the best teams. Correct me if i'm wrong, OP.

Just a curiosity thing I wanted to see some discussion about the topic, all posts are welcome

Having payed for two kids college degrees, I know for a fact that a student that's happy with where they're at are better students and are more likely to graduate. If you're and avid disc golfer, you'll want to have the opportunity to play a quick round when you can. College is a grind, so physical activity is crucial to balance the mental discipline needed to succeed.

There are a lot of colleges. Go where you want to LIVE for the next 5 years.

You guys are both correct. Having just graduated college and organized/run the DG club for 2 years, having something that's fun is necessary. I graduated Dean's List in Electrical Engineering, and I'm proud of that. But I wouldn't be nearly as happy with college or the job I have now if I didn't do something else in college. For me, that was playing disc golf.

Bottom line, all the schools who do well at Nationals could play more "year round" golf than we could at Penn State. Six out of the nine months you're at University Park, it's likely to be below freezing. That's just not good practice weather for Nationals, no matter how you cut it. So, if it's important for you to play disc golf at school...you need to think South (East or West).

The University of Texas also just formed a club. Plenty of quality courses <20 minutes from campus, and a bunch of other courses. Plus DiscNation is in our backyard! The only drawback is that a car is required, but if you're in the club transportation isn't an issue.

Even being an Aggie I have to second this. Austin's disc golf scene is huge with dozens of courses in town (Old Settlers, Circle C Metro, etc.). College Station, home of Texas A&M, sadly only has one 18 hole course and 4 9 holers. So if you want to win at football, come on down here to Aggieland, but if you want a booming disc golf college experience there is no better place than Austin.

I am going to make a case for Colorado State because I am a Colorado Native and can speak truth about how awesome Colorado as a state really is. As per the qualifications of nearby courses and a good disc shop, CSU is easily one of the best. Bill Wright, who runs Wright Life, a shop that has Disc Sports as one of its primary focuses, has done so much for the sport of Disc Golf. There is an amazing course at Edora Park in town, which will solely host this years Colroado State Disc Golf Championships. You can also make a 45 minute drive or less and end up at a number of other courses that have or will one day host the Colorado State Championships.

That being said, I also believe that Colorado State hit the jackpot last year at the College National Championships. It is not everday you have two guys on your team that put off turning pro just so they can play in the College National Championships, plus two more guys who are top ametures in the state. That does mean that the top two CSU guys will not be back this year and CSU will be relying on younger talent to carry the team.

This. Jared Roan played like a beast for Colorado State.

Latest posts