• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf Shoes?

impressive. i usually burn through discing shoes about one per season, but i do also wear them at work.

From what I've heard and read, you're not alone.
Like I said, some people are just rougher on shoes than others. Guess I'm just fortunate as far as that goes.

I assure you that other than brushing off dirt/mud/snow, and spraying the insoles and interior with alcohol (and occasionally baking powder) for stench control, I haven't done a blessed thing to these.

Here they are. :|

There's a bit of heel wear, but there's still black on the heel. It's not worn through.

attachment.php

Just from the looks of it, there is some toe drag, but there is also the built in toe protector.

Good to hear. Just picked up a great deal on them myself as i have always wanted to try Altras. Any problems with the wearing out quickly?

They have held up well, I am on my second pair now. I am trying the waterproof version (the sidewall is much stiffer due to H2O proof lining) the flex point at the ball of the foot is cracking just a bit so we will see. As far as the original lone peaks, I love them still. Only issue has been the side lugs on my plant foot, they have been chewed up a bit. But the grip is awesome, they almost sound like cleats when walking on pavement. Outside of sloppy mud I haven't slipped in them yet.

After going back and forth between Merrell and Salomon for years, I decided to try a pair of Keens( Targhee II) that were on sale. The best shoes I have ever used for disc golf. So good, I just ordered two different models from Sierra that were on sale. Love all three. I should be set for a while.

Timely that this popped back up. I always thought the Adidas were the best dg shoes I ever had but as I aged my feet got wider so they didn't fit me well anymore. Sizing up 1/2 a size didn't really help so I abandoned them a few years ago. Have gone through a couple pairs of Merrells, a pair of Keens, and a pair of Hi-Tec since then without really liking any of them all that much (hated the Keens). Amazon guy just dropped off my new Adidas sized up a full size this morning. They feel great.

Moral: no two people's feet are the same and sometimes the feet aren't the same even on the same person over time.

Moral: no two people's feet are the same and sometimes the feet aren't the same even on the same person over time.
Absofrigginlutely correct!

Additionally, there are features some people specifically look for, while others specifically look to avoid that feature.

Example: waterproof membrane.
Some want it for wet, morning rounds.
Others avoid it in favor of enhanced breathability.

Absofrigginlutely correct!

Additionally, there are features some people specifically look for, while others specifically look to avoid that feature.

Example: waterproof membrane.
Some want it for wet, morning rounds.
Others avoid it in favor of enhanced breathability.

I avoid waterproof because it's not.

I avoid waterproof because it's not.
Understood. You do you.

I'll just say "waterproof" shoes keep my feet dry much longer, during morning rounds in dewy, grassy fields. Depending on the course and conditions, sometimes I can make it through the entire round with dry feet.

But with "regular" hikers, my socks are usually soaked by the the 4th or 5th hole.

YMMV

I tend to wear shoes out from the interior first. Waterproof shoe interiors will outlast several pair of non-waterproof shoes for me.

Understood. You do you.

I'll just say "waterproof" shoes keep my feet dry much longer, during morning rounds in dewy, grassy fields. Depending on the course and conditions, sometimes I can make it through the entire round with dry feet.

But with "regular" hikers, my socks are usually soaked by the the 4th or 5th hole.

YMMV

I like the GTX even more so for warmth. That GTX liner is basically a thick, insulated extra sock built right into your shoes. I can wear Terrex GTX shoes in reasonably cold weather, like anything above 30 degrees as long as there isn't a ton of snowpack down. Definitely not a substitute for an insulated snow boot but definitely a good go between for that 30 to 45 degree weather for when a boot isn't necessary but a regular breathable running shoe would leave my feet cold.

As far as early morning rounds with wet grass, for me it depends on how cold it is out. If it's above 60 degrees, I wear regular shoes and just get wet. A good pair of polyester socks and some experience getting used to this for me is superior to wearing waterproof shoes/socks because I'd rather have lightweight shoes that breathe, are lighter and will dry out quicker. But yea, when it gets colder, I'll go with the GTX stuff and try and keep my feet as dry as possible.

Currently entertaining the idea that the Altra Lone Peak All Weather might be the shoe. Not water proof, technically, bit too much lug, but other than that.

While waterproof socks and breathable shoes are my go to for wet courses, I recently picked up a closeout pair of Moab 2 waterproofs to wear in mild weather. I am impressed. While I can't speak to the waterproof quality, the waterproofing adds just the right insulation for cold mornings. And with wearing them on dewy morning, so far so good.

Currently entertaining the idea that the Altra Lone Peak All Weather might be the shoe. Not water proof, technically, bit too much lug, but other than that.

I'll be curious how those hold up. I have a pair of Altra running shoes that I absolutely love and have thought about getting the Lone Peaks for discing.

. While I can't speak to the waterproof quality, the waterproofing adds just the right insulation for cold mornings. And with wearing them on dewy morning, so far so good.

I've been telling people this for years. The waterproof liner is basically a thick, insulated extra sock built right into your shoes. Even if the waterproofing is so so, the extra insulation alone makes them a must have if you play when the temperature dips down below 50 degrees. No need for extra socks/thick socks or whatnot, and having a go between wearing a regular shoe versus a snow boot is a must. As long as the snowpack isn't more than say a few inches, I can get away with wearing some GTX Terrex shoes in near freezing temps, that's a nice perk to have.

I've been telling people this for years. The waterproof liner is basically a thick, insulated extra sock built right into your shoes. Even if the waterproofing is so so, the extra insulation alone makes them a must have if you play when the temperature dips down below 50 degrees. No need for extra socks/thick socks or whatnot, and having a go between wearing a regular shoe versus a snow boot is a must. As long as the snowpack isn't more than say a few inches, I can get away with wearing some GTX Terrex shoes in near freezing temps, that's a nice perk to have.

Not discounting what Nick said in the least. But everyone's different.

Some people's feet "run warm" and don't need much help staying warm in sub-freezing temps. Other people need more to keep their feet warm in cold situations.

Plenty of folks here (Nick being
just one of them) provide great advice, useful experience, and make solid recommendations as to how to outfit yourself for winter play. While there are some pretty well documented, universal do's and dont's (e.g. avoid wearing cotton next to your skin when layering for winter activities), individuals can differ greatly. Ultimately, YOU gotta figure out what works best for your body and your game.

Start with listening to what experienced people say, and tweak to suit your individual wants and needs.

Bottom line: YMMV

Last edited:
(Still going strong with the Asics Gel Venture 8 Waterproof. One thing I've realized after quite a few years is that I don't need - or really want - to wear my Very Special DG Shoes for every round. In fact, I've found that I much prefer regular ol' Nike running shoes, provided there isn't too much in the way of elevation or wet grass/mud. So on dry days, I just stick with my "street" shoes. Moist, cold, or rainy days require the waterproofing - which does work very well. The Asics aren't as hot on the foot as the Adidas - not even close. And the Gels let you feel like you're walking on a wrestling mat, all soft and bouncy.)

As wise men have already said: YMMV. (Had to look that up about 6 months ago. Comes in pretty handy. Your Momma May Vacillate.) :D

Played 9 holes yesterday at one of our favorite 18-holers in the pouring rain. Got a par on one hole I have not been parring lately. Got a birdie on a short (220ft?) woods hole without knowing that the basket was moved until AFTER teeing off.

More importantly, my Salomon XA PRO 3D's passed their first real test since I got them. My feet were completely dry after completing those 9 holes. Highly recommend these. :thmbup:

A former co-worker is a Digital Director at Merrell and they are really trying to get into disc golf (they're sponsoring Ledgestone and several other events this year). They sent me the shoes they think are best for Disc Golf and asked me to try them out.

The Merrell MQMs (I like the MTL MQM) have beat out the Adidas Terrex I've been wearing for 5 years. I wear them every round now. They feel broken in when they're brand new because the of the material they're made of, but they're perfectly waterproof as well.

I loved the Terrex Swift R3s, but they always break down at the toe where I drag a bit on lower powered throws—and were very stiff brand new.

A former co-worker is a Digital Director at Merrell and they are really trying to get into disc golf (they're sponsoring Ledgestone and several other events this year). They sent me the shoes they think are best for Disc Golf and asked me to try them out.

The Merrell MQMs (I like the MTL MQM) have beat out the Adidas Terrex I've been wearing for 5 years. I wear them every round now. They feel broken in when they're brand new because the of the material they're made of, but they're perfectly waterproof as well.

I loved the Terrex Swift R3s, but they always break down at the toe where I drag a bit on lower powered throws—and were very stiff brand new.

Merrell makes a terrific boot. The above does not look like much of a departure from their long standing offerings. I don't use them because of their toe box. It is much more pointed, as is the Terrex. I am also not a fan of the tread on this incantation. Merrel had the best disc golf tread on the market for awhile and has discontinued making it. For those that can use a pointed toe box, this looks like a great option.

I hope they sponsor Master's Worlds. If I get a 50%+ discount, I would gladly pick up a pair for light hiking.

Latest posts