• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Disc Golf State

I live in Oregon, and while I'd never claim it's a top disc golf destination -- for one thing, there's a lot of distance between courses -- I will say that we've got variety. That's one thing the west coast has going for it: you've got mountains, deserts, foothills, flatlands, deciduous forest, evergreen forest, beaches, you name it.

Someone should find a list of how many courses each state has, and divide those numbers into the land area of each state. Because, sure, Texas has a lot of courses, but I'm guessing Iowa would come out on top in terms of courses per square mile.

Someone should find a list of how many courses each state has, and divide those numbers into the land area of each state. Because, sure, Texas has a lot of courses, but I'm guessing Iowa would come out on top in terms of courses per square mile.

Everyone should search for courses within 25 and 50 miles of your zip code. Whoever has the most wins. I'll start.

I have 15 courses within 25 miles.

I have 28 courses within 50 miles.

I certainly wouldnt claim it is the absolute best, but Minnesota has both qualtiy and quantity. Ive only played a dozen or so of the courses in the eastern part sofar, but the design is very good, with elevation changes and lots of trees.

One thing i will argue for Texas courses, they may not have the elevation changes or thick forests ofMinnesota courses, but whoever designs courses in TX knows how to use those water hazards! Many of the TX courses I`ve played have more water in play than those in the "Land of a Thousand Lakes". Not that parks in MN have less water((quite the opposite), just that many courses (Kaposia, Basset Creek,Lakewood Hills) weave around and avoid the lakes. The Texans make far more out of far less, IMHO, so in some ways, having flat "boring" land to start with can yield more, if done right.

For me, I LOVE playing in a different state, and having an obstacle that is completely unique to that state. This is one reason why I don't care much for park courses. From Huge ass evergreens in WA to arid mountain pine in Colorado, to rolling prairie and cliffs in Wyoming, to Cedars and creeks in Texas, To Seaside weeds that grab your disc like a hand in CA, and the dense forest courses in New England. It's the differences that I LOVE and find it very hard to rate one above the other.

Everyone should search for courses within 25 and 50 miles of your zip code. Whoever has the most wins. I'll start.

I have 0 courses within 25 miles.

I have 0 courses within 50 miles.

Do I win anything?

I have 29 courses within 25 miles.
I have 37 courses within 50 miles.

And they are almost done building 1 more that will be added to both of those. And to think I used to hate that I lived in TX now. :D

C-Town

I have 20 courses within 25 miles

I have 35 courses within 50 miles

Clarkston, MI 48346
:D:cool:

I have 8 within 25 miles (two more going in soon)
1 is on our top 10 list and two others are 4 or more discs.
138 baskets

30 within 50 miles.
10 are 4 disc or more.

It was pretty well-established on a recent thread that in terms of pure course density, i.e., number of courses in a radius around a downtown zip code, that the Chicagoland area wins (I think it was 66 within 50 miles) and Minneapolis/St. Paul comes in second (54).

Now, we all know this is an entirely different conversation than "best" courses or course quality, because you never hear anyone on this site sticking up for Chicago courses. I will, however, stick up for Minnesota courses while we're at it. The city hosts a major event every year (the Majestic) attended by the top pros, and at least 5 different championship-18s have been involved in it over the years. But for people like me who couldn't care less about tournaments, the city is just teeming with feel-good, beautiful courses of all shapes and sizes. You drive 10 minutes and stumble over another 9 or 12 or 18-hole round.

I think it's clear that we all have our own criteria and our own limited exposure to disc golf's personality around the country. I still haven't played in the breadbasket of KY/OH/TN/NC etc. that I hear so much about on here, but when I do, I'm sure I'll a) love it, and b) find it hard to compare fairly against MN and New England and CO and all the other crazy corners of the country. THAT's what's great about this game.

For me, I LOVE playing in a different state, and having an obstacle that is completely unique to that state. This is one reason why I don't care much for park courses. From Huge ass evergreens in WA to arid mountain pine in Colorado, to rolling prairie and cliffs in Wyoming, to Cedars and creeks in Texas, To Seaside weeds that grab your disc like a hand in CA, and the dense forest courses in New England. It's the differences that I LOVE and find it very hard to rate one above the other.

I totally agree! We think alike. How about adding in the forests of NC?

It's impossible to determine the BEST disc golf state, since the criteria can't even be conclusively decided.

However, it should be possible to determine the 10 best states (top 20%) and maybe even the top 5 best (top 10%).

If I were the Grand Poobah of Course Quality I might try this:

You have to take population density into account.

1) Wait until course in the U.S. has a DGCR rating from 0-5.0. Assume that these ratings are as accurate as you're going to get. (Assume that the HBB would be uniform among all states.)
2) Add together all of the rating stars for each state. Call this number "Total Stars".
3) Divide "Total Stars" by the state's population (in millions).
4) Divide "Total Stars" by the state's square miles.
5) Divide "Total Stars" by the number of U.S. Congressional districts.
6) Add together 3-5.

How's that?

If I were the Grand Poobah of Course Quality I might try this:

You have to take population density into account.

1) Wait until course in the U.S. has a DGCR rating from 0-5.0. Assume that these ratings are as accurate as you're going to get. (Assume that the HBB would be uniform among all states.)
2) Add together all of the rating stars for each state. Call this number "Total Stars".
3) Divide "Total Stars" by the state's population (in millions).
4) Divide "Total Stars" by the state's square miles.
5) Divide "Total Stars" by the number of U.S. Congressional districts.
6) Add together 3-5.

How's that?

Is this grading on a curve? I've heard of that. :p ;)

Hmm, actually brother, I this will be partial to smaller states in the long run, don't you?

I was just thinking if the big numbers are smaller (size and population), the end result will be bigger if the avearge ratings are even close to the same. But hell, I am just guessing here.

I think as far as numbers are concerned, PA ranks fairly high. There are 72 courses listed here for PA. Thats one course for every 622 sq mi...

Some of this is quality vs quantity and as most people have'nt played in all or even most of the states there is really not much chance of getting any kind of credible answer at this point. For both quality and quantity I know that Fort Worth is a great area but ther are so many places that I have not played.