• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Discs for kids

What would be good for a little girl that just turned 3? My niece practices with me sometimes and loves any disc with animals on it (mostly the Spider, Leopard, and Sidewinder). Her putting forms a little off (run to the basket and then overhand it in), but she might have some fun at the 6 hole kids course close by me.

For kids I think you have two main options: (1) find them a PDGA Approved disc that is easy throw, or (2) let them use an unapproved disc that is very easy to throw.

For any kids' disc, keep the gram-weight light (150g or less), the rim narrow (1.2cm or less), and the outside diameter small.

A full write-up on the science is here: Best Disc Golf Discs for Kids

Good luck! Getting kids inspired to play the sport is critical to its future!

My son has a light Gateway mid/fairway. It has a stamp on it saying to pass on the disc so people can learn about disc golf. The mold name was already wiped off when he first got it.

Anyway, that's a good disc for kids. :|

*edit*

It may be an Element.

Last edited:
I keep a stack of 150 Aviars for the kids/grandkids to either fire at the baskets or, as is often the case, just play catch with when they tire of the basket.

For the youngest of throwers, I would consider an ultra lightweight Birdie. I have one in 145 that even the youngest can move with confidence, if not distance.

My 7-year-old son can throw two Discs pretty well. One is a 150 Aviar. The other is the lightest Stratus I could find. It had the 160-162 Discraft sticker on it. My 12-year-old daughter also throws that Stratus very well. Neither of them can throw any other Disc very well at all.

My nine year old daughter uses starlite and dx. She has a 110 wraith and leopard. She also has a 135 wizard.

Don't forget that things like color are important to kids. Sparkles? Even better. Graphics? Also important. They will only care a little that you've picked the best disc for their ability. My 7 year old daughter was given an unmarked Paige Pierce signature disc by the guys at the course, and she loves it despite it being a horrible disc for her skills.

DX Wedge
Small diameter, comes in light weights I think, and is very easy to throw. perfect for 1 disc rounds.
Hell, I'm almost 50 and I still throw the thing.

My 155 DX Wedge is the most versatile disc I own, does anything and everything. Definitely my go to for a one disc round.