• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Discs for kids

I do completely understand about the disc being so big for a child's hands. My son is 7, and I've been playing with him some since he was 5. Although I've gotten him some lightweight discs, the biggest problem for him does seem to be the size of the disc. Discs he does seem to be best with...150KC pro Rocs, 138g Archangel, and 146g blowfly. He likes the dragon, but doesn't throw it as well as others, still seems too stable.

Posting an addition......I would definately reccomend a blowfly in the lightest weight you can find for a child, which I believe is a blowflyII mold. The glide on these are incredible, they are VERY soft, so in case they hit things, which you know Kids will, it causes no damage. If you play near water, they float. Kids love the fact they are so floppy, so it's fun again. My son has only had his a few months now, but absolutely LOVES it.

Posting an addition......I would definately reccomend a blowfly in the lightest weight you can find for a child, which I believe is a blowflyII mold. The glide on these are incredible, they are VERY soft, so in case they hit things, which you know Kids will, it causes no damage. If you play near water, they float. Kids love the fact they are so floppy, so it's fun again. My son has only had his a few months now, but absolutely LOVES it.

Who makes the blowfly?

DGA

Our 8yo daughter throws rocs and polecats and we gave her a Val Jenkins signed Pegasus for christmas and she loves it...it flies really nice for her too.

She has low weight leopards, a cobra and a couple others but she always does best with Rocs.

My two youngest are 5 and 6. Both throw Fastbacks really well...they're light and glide really well...and they're bigger than a golf disc. Both boys can grip a Fastback better than some other discs.

As for golf discs, my five-year-old throws a 150g 78-Mold, a 138 Sonic and a pole cat on the course along with a Fastback. My six-year-old throws a pole cat and a 150g Shark.

I taught them how to throw when they were 2 and 3 years old. I taught them with Dodgebees....mostly because I can throw them at the boys and they were able to catch a Dodgebee at those young ages.

The 150 DX Sharks that come with the starter packs are awesome for kids. I even keep one in the bag for zero effort dead straight up shots.

As important as WHAT a kid is throwing is also HOW s/he is throwing. Be sure to teach your little ones how to throw forehand in addition to backhand. My take after watching many young competitive kids throw is that the more successful little ones are doing their best with the forehand. (I'd guess this is probably a matter of hand size, but I'm not certain.)

my 2 year old can only throw forehand and her grip is a backhand powergrip kids are dumb

My 4 year old throws a 163 Blowfly II. Mainly for everyone else's safety. She can get it about 50+ feet but her aim sucks.

As important as WHAT a kid is throwing is also HOW s/he is throwing. Be sure to teach your little ones how to throw forehand in addition to backhand. My take after watching many young competitive kids throw is that the more successful little ones are doing their best with the forehand. (I'd guess this is probably a matter of hand size, but I'm not certain.)

I agree. Last year I got my son, who was 7 at the time, throwing a bit. He didn't do so well. Then I saw Dan Doyle's 7-year-old throw. He throws forehand and gets a lot more distance and control. I showed my son how to do that and he was much more successful.

I agree. Last year I got my son, who was 7 at the time, throwing a bit. He didn't do so well. Then I saw Dan Doyle's 7-year-old throw. He throws forehand and gets a lot more distance and control. I showed my son how to do that and he was much more successful.

Is there a vid out there for that?

TBH, I let them throw whatever they want, as long as they're playing and having a good time. My 9-year-old was having a blast with a 150g DX Destroyer, just because he liked the robot on it. If I took it from him, and told him that he had to throw a leopard because it was better for him, it would have ruined the game for him.

The simple fact is, that if I keep him on the course, by 16 he will have been throwing discs for 7 years. My 15-year-old is a different story, and he can take advice, and change his throw based on what he's told.

Do I worry about them picking up bad habits? Not really. By the time they're old enough to play seriously, they will have thrown discs for so long that most of this will be second nature. My 10-year-old can throw his DX Orc over 200', and on a pretty good line most of the time. Should I tell him not to use it? ... I don't think so. Kids are strange that way. Just make sure they're having fun, and leave the 'coaching' until they're old enough to handle it, and deal with it correctly.

Just my 2 cents.

Get the shortie an optimizer... I think they're out of print, but is extremely understable. A 7 year old will be able to hyzer flip this disc. It's got a short profile, so you don't need big hands to get a grip on it. It's also made for beginners.

I 2nd the 180 DX Rancho Roc. Good all around one disc for even the weekest of arms. Sounds hard to believe but I discovered it on accident and now all three of my kids love throwing my 180 Rocs. Easy to get up to speed, HSS, good glide and not much fade. Good for putting, approaching and all out bombs for a kids strength level.

You would say that Chris. I might not be as experienced as others but I'd recommend throwing none if any drivers. One of the best disc golfers in spotsy says that new and unexperienced players should start on mids and putters.

Latest posts