• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best discs for tomahawk/thumber

I need to try the boss cause right now it is too overstable to do anything else with it.

Many say that over stability is the key but I have found that for pure distance, the speed of the disc was more important. When I throw a Boss/Destroyer the disc stays perpendicular to the ground longer thus traveling farther before it fades.

I if I need the disc to fade on a dogleg or around trees faster I use a KC Pro TeeBird.

If I need to throw a get out of trouble short overhanded throw less than 50 feet I will use a 10 meter Brick. It turns to a fade quick and tends to lay down on its top much faster, thus preventing a unknown roll.

Last edited:
My XCaliber is like a dart when i tomahawk it. Very accurate and dependable in rough situations. If i want more fade in the throw the TeeRex is great as well.

100-200 feet out from a basket where there are no branches overhanging the fairway, I like to use a Coyote as a tomahawk approach disc. This is more consistent for me than any other approach at this range, though it doesn't work well on windy days or when there's a low ceiling of tree branches. I throw the disc on a high arc so that it turns under as it lands flat on its top about 20-30 feet in front of the basket, sliding from there right up to or a little past the basket. In windier conditions, or the upper end of this range, I'll use a Valkyrie or a Wraith.

Does anybody here throw a tomahawk-roller with any success?

The problem with most discs is the amount of turn I can generate. The EPIC, which is useless for about anything, is maybe the perfect tomahawk disc. I kept a 168 in my bag when I need it. I have gone through a few EPIC's for this purpose, and find that the key is a lighter disc, since wind resistance isn't a huge issue based on flight path, and the hold the disc with two fingers on the inside where the disc starts to thicken. Holding it in that position helps generate the extra torque needed to really get it to turn over and hit the spot you wanted.

I was able to birdie #5 alternate tee at Terramont outside of Houston with that throw - which may be the only good consistent way to do it based on the amount of foliage. I think it doesn't matter if the plastic can gets beat to hell since it just gets better and turns easier with every hit. Good luck.

i use my 172 champion beast, i occasionally use my orc. my friend can't figure out his epic at all, but he kills it with his DX viper.

I use my 175 Champion Monster. If I throw it in a perfect line above my head, it will stay that way throughout its whole flight til the very end when it flips over and lands top down and usually slides for a bit. I can chuck it about 230' consistently. I want to get a lighter disc to see if I can get more distance.

MONDO

Ive heard the Viper is pretty mean when it comes to thumbers. Never tried it.

I ordered a 147 gram esp Flick on a recommendation. I throw a lot of tomahaws so I will let you know if I get any more distance than what I am currently using.

Does anybody here throw a tomahawk-roller with any success?

For my rollers, I use the same "two fingers inside the rim" placement with hte disc sideways just like a tomahawk, but just aim lower, if thats what you mean?

I do have success with this roller shot. I use my Star Gator. Its really pretty similar to a forehand with all wrist snap. Just snap at the ground as quick as you can and watch it go The nice wide rim on the Gator is like a tire, and its pretty predictable. Instead of holding it perfectly sideways, you can throw with the underside slightly down and it will roll straight for longer before it curves off to the left (or right if you're a lefty like me)

Im somewhat decent with the tommy roller aswell. Z Predator works pretty well for those.

thumber

i throw thumbers more than anyone i have ever played with or have seen and
Star Firebirds are the way to go.....not sure on thomahawks cause i very rarely throw them

I ordered a 147 gram esp Flick on a recommendation. I throw a lot of tomahaws so I will let you know if I get any more distance than what I am currently using.

It was not for me.