• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

best distance driver for small hands?

dukdukgolf

Birdie Member
Basically my problem is that my hands are small and id love some advice. Maybe a disc im missing. Because of my small fingers,,i really cant throw many of the distance drivers. Ive tried, boss, force, groove, destroyer and all of them have a rim that is simply too big. I just cant get a comfortable grip with them.

The longest disc in my bag is an avenger and most of the time im throwing a stalker on drives.

Anyone have advice on a disc i might be missing. Something that is more overstable/more distance than an avenger with a comparable rim? I understand that the larger rim is what makes it a longer distance disc because of the added weight. Im hoping that im missing something or there is a exception to the general rule.

thanks for the help.

Depends on how far you're throwing, but maybe a teerex. Also, if the rim is the main problem, check out a riot.

If a stalker is the longest disc for you right now, get a dx teebird. It has a small rim and I can throw it over 400 when a stalker dies out around 360.

Dukduk, measure the inside area between your first knuckle, and your second knuckle of your index finger with a CM measuring tape or something measuring in CM. Get the max, and then that will be the widest rim you can grip consistently, and will be generally your farthest disc. Most people are around 1.9-2.0 cm. So any disc that falls into the category of your measured width, will be the disc you'll be able to transfer the most potential energy to, given you have good form. Anything larger and you'll have more potential for slips to cause energy loss during transfer to the disc, and possibly lose, or never gain distance over the disc that fits that measurement you got.

Or GRAB A BOSS! :p

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Of late, I've been throwing the Avenger quite a bit. I usually stick to the older drivers. Beasts, Orcs, Crushes, Surges. The Destroyer is about as big as I can go on a regular basis. For me, 2.2 cm seems to be the cut off.

I can throw a Katana, if I go to a two-finger grip. But that only gets pulled out with a tail wind and a wide open throw anyway.

I have fairly small hands and I've had the same problem over the years. I too threw the Avenger as my primary distance driver for a few years. Part of what might help is throwing very grippy plastic, I'd recommenced getting a FLX Surge, it's my main driver now and it has plenty of distance, the FLX plastic as well as a wide but not too wide rim ends up being perfect in my hands.

Dukduk, measure the inside area between your first knuckle, and your second knuckle of your index finger with a CM measuring tape or something measuring in CM. Get the max, and then that will be the widest rim you can grip consistently, and will be generally your farthest disc. Most people are around 1.9-2.0 cm. So any disc that falls into the category of your measured width, will be the disc you'll be able to transfer the most potential energy to, given you have good form. Anything larger and you'll have more potential for slips to cause energy loss during transfer to the disc, and possibly lose, or never gain distance over the disc that fits that measurement you got.

ty for the advice,,,never heard this before. seems about 1.7-1.9 hard to tell exactly where to measure from and to. helpful though,,,thanks.

Why not? Should people also not buy le runs? There are plenty of people, some on this site, looking to get rid of decent z talons. Few bucks to try ain't bad, and they're not really exspensive through eBay and such- I grabbed two new z's for $20.
I guess another option would be the crush but I believe the talon has less lip.

To the op, what avengers are you using? What lines and distances are you hoping for?

Valk, Teebird, Monarch, leopard. If you can't get them to go far then get a lighter one. a 150 valk is a beast if thrown right!

avenger ss is my valk.

No no no no. Avenger SS is not a valk. They might have similar flight patterns, but the Avenger SS is much more of a fairway driver. I have decently small hands and find the Valkyrie to be a great disc for driving long distances when I first started entering into the world of distance driving. :D

bk_tinyhands.jpg

A teebird might work for you.

Basically my problem is that my hands are small and id love some advice. Maybe a disc im missing. Because of my small fingers,,i really cant throw many of the distance drivers. Ive tried, boss, force, groove, destroyer and all of them have a rim that is simply too big. I just cant get a comfortable grip with them.

The longest disc in my bag is an avenger and most of the time im throwing a stalker on drives.

Anyone have advice on a disc i might be missing. Something that is more overstable/more distance than an avenger with a comparable rim? I understand that the larger rim is what makes it a longer distance disc because of the added weight. Im hoping that im missing something or there is a exception to the general rule.

thanks for the help.

My favorite driver (and longest driver) is my Champion Orc. It has a small rim in comparison with stuff like the Destroyer. Its easy to grip and I imagine you will be more comfortable for you!
Just my word but try it out, great disc and small rim!

I have little midget hands and can grab and chuck my nuke further than all my discs but a katana. it has more to do with finger strength and form. Try some finger tip push ups or catching the rock when it's thrown to you. I do have ocho cinco like hand on the field so maybe it is just my advantage :)

I never heard this before and it was funny because this last weekend I stopped at the sporting goods store and know I have no business at all throwing a Nuke but it felt so good in my hand, I did anyway and hope to grow into it one day.

Just measured mine and I am at 2.5 cm.

Any wide rim discs at speed 7? :p

Latest posts