• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Best Dog Driver

Achasteen

I love throwing discs for practice in open fields and back yards. My dog also likes to accompany me and will pick up the disc afterwards on the ground to retrieve it back to me. I am worried that one of my drivers could accidentally hit my dog running after them.

Is there a disc that has the distance and feel of a normal driver, but is also safe and soft enough for a dog? Surely something like that must exist.

Thanks for your help!

I love throwing discs for practice in open fields and back yards. My dog also likes to accompany me and will pick up the disc afterwards on the ground to retrieve it back to me. I am worried that one of my drivers could accidentally hit my dog running after them.

Is there a disc that has the distance and feel of a normal driver, but is also safe and soft enough for a dog? Surely something like that must exist.

Thanks for your help!

Try hero discs, they make a lot of dog discs and the sonic from innova. Most of em are like a sonic, so not drivers. I've been eyeballing the super sonic 215 in taffy (star) plastic but I think they have k9 soft plastic as well. I havent pulled the trigger yet but I was impressed by their Jawz dog disc in glow years ago. They are all fairly light and slow 130g ish.

The superhero is the heaviest and furthest flying disc of theirs. Supposedly. Haha.

Be curious to see what others say.

Maybe one of the silicone/rubber discs? They are legit drivers and go far but soft an unlikely to hurt a dogs mouth unless they caught them at speed. Would be interested to see if they hold up to a bite though. Ideas are Daredevil Ogopogo, Elevation Binx, Divergent Discs Wyrm.

Maybe one of the silicone/rubber discs? They are legit drivers and go far but soft an unlikely to hurt a dogs mouth unless they caught them at speed. Would be interested to see if they hold up to a bite though. Ideas are Daredevil Ogopogo, Elevation Binx, Divergent Discs Wyrm.

Thanks!

What a strange disc the ogopogo sounds like 9 4 -2 5 . I went to their site, now I'm tempted to get a bunch of their xouts... be cheaper than 10 from herodiscs. Maybe an ogopogo and a caribou x 2.. I also saw they have dog discs but they are "Non bite proof". �� haha

Good call on the soft ones. From my experience before a Star/taffy/Esp plastic has been the most durable, the bit of flex avoids some teeth marks.

Thanks!

What a strange disc the ogopogo sounds like 9 4 -2 5 . I went to their site, now I'm tempted to get a bunch of their xouts... be cheaper than 10 from herodiscs. Maybe an ogopogo and a caribou x 2.. I also saw they have dog discs but they are "Non bite proof". �� haha

Good call on the soft ones. From my experience before a Star/taffy/Esp plastic has been the most durable, the bit of flex avoids some teeth marks.

The Ogo is funky, some high speed turn but a ton of low speed fade, with the shape of a puddle topped Firebird. I actually have used ones for mountain courses around here on rare occasion and they warp but haven't gotten cut.

Could be a winner?

My dog and I compete in canine disc dog competitions, long distance being one of them.
Hero Disc - probably the top brand and widest selection. My favorite is the Supersonic 215 in taffy ( star plastic)
But you mentioned driver feeling - HyperFlite Max Q in jawz plastic is going to be similar to a midrange - https://hyperflite.com/maxq-jawz-disc/

if any of you guys have any questions on any of the canine discs, especially Hero Disc and Hyperflite I can answer them .
The longest disc is going to be dependent on the thrower and their form.
*In the Disc Dog Long Distance World 100 yard catch is equivalent to the elusive 500 ft disc golf throw for reference *

if any of you guys have any questions on any of the canine discs, especially Hero Disc and Hyperflite I can answer them .
The longest disc is going to be dependent on the thrower and their form.
*In the Disc Dog Long Distance World 100 yard catch is equivalent to the elusive 500 ft disc golf throw for reference *

I'm curious which one was fairly bite resistant I was eyeballing some 215 sonic in taffy, what do you think?

I'm curious which one was fairly bite resistant I was eyeballing some 215 sonic in taffy, what do you think?

For my lab the Supersonic 215 taffy (my assumption is this is star) plastic has been great, I prefer it slightly to the Superstar 235 just because it is smaller/lighter. We also have an L64 Bite in Opto that shows no real wear. Bonus is that throwing any of these a lot really helps your angle manipulation on the golf course.

I suspect that they are all susceptible to getting chewed up if the dog is a chewer though.

The most bite resistant Hero Disc is the Super Hero Candy ( Champion Plastic )
I have a American Staffordshire Terrier, so I know a thing or 2 about a strong bite lol
Our main disc we use, unless a competition requires a certain disc/ weight, is the Super Sonic 215 taffy ( star) - and we have no problem with them lasting long time. Unless you allow your dog access to the disc when your not practicing/playing.

The most bite resistant disc on the market is the HyperFlite Jawz plastic, which comes in different sizes and firmness. These disc fly like bricks though, no glide/float.

Other than the Super Sonic 215 Taffy, we also use the Super Star 235, which they released a limited Edition Halo Plastic ones a few weeks ago. We got 3-4 of them, and really like them, a little more high speed stability, with same amount glide/float. https://herodiscusa.com/collections...am-hero-halo-superstar?variant=43273467756738

Other Discs in our bag are really only for the Quadruped, which is the longest running and most prestigious long distance competition - Tour Series. They have held true to requiring Fastback Discs with 110 gram weight limit.
We use the Hero Air 235 and Hero Extra 235. Our next one of these is coming up in Detroit on 7/1.

Latest posts