• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driver to achieve long s-turns

"If you throw a sidewinder and it doesn't come back at the end of the flight you're either releasing it at a bad angle, too low and or not snapping the disc hard enough."

I wouldn't agree with that.

A well thrown sidewinder with a lot of speed, snap and thrown perfectly flat will turn over and never come back very much in my experience. Because it is very understable, and doesn't fade a lot, even at low speeds. A Tern is designed to have an S curve shape. It has a lot of Turn and a lot of fade. Other discs aren't, like a Destroyer. You really need to force them over with anhyzer to get that shape. Depending on the wear and your power, a Destroyer might turn over a little if you throw it flat, but it is mostly just straight to fade kind of flight.

The flight path profiles from the manufacturers might help you make this choice. But it really comes down to throwing them and finding out what works for you. Check the flight paths out here:

Sidewinder:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/sidewinder/

Tern:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/tern/

Destroyer:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/disc/destroyer/

For the record I suck at this quote thing.

Ok the problem I have with recommending a tern is it is a much faster disc and more importantly the OP said he doesn't doesn't generate that much power. If he's already under snapping or under powering (or both) a speed 9 disc than he is going to magnify whatever combination of problems he might be having by moving up to a speed 12. Innova in my opinion has some of the fastest real world discs, and by that I mean it takes way more power for me to get a speed 14 Innova fly like its ratings verse say a speed 14 legacy. This isn't a dig against legacy its just an acknowledgement that there is no uniform standard for disc speed among different manufacturers.

Discing down I think is also a better way to discover exactly what is going wrong with your form. Discing up just masks those problems.

What I use: Seasoned or beat up champ eagles, g star leopards instead of pro for durability, or star terns for the longer shots. I prefer understable discs for this shot as long as there isn't a strong headwind.

What I recommend: Find a disc that you can hyzer flip to straight with little to no fade, first. I'd think that shot is more important than a distance turnover shot anyways. From here it is just a matter of fine tuning your throw. Hit the field and experiment with less hyzer and even more height to give the disc time to fade back. *If the sidewinder is that hyzer flip disc, than don't try to find an off the shelf alternative. Use a slower disc if you can't hyzer flip the sidewinder to straight with little to no fade. A low 170's Gstar leopard would be my first choice.

For me, it is much easier and cheaper to adjust my throw for the shot than to get a new disc and keep my throw the same. It is generally a matter of needing more or less hyzer/height instead of a more or less understable disc.

For the record I suck at this quote thing.

Ok the problem I have with recommending a tern is it is a much faster disc and more importantly the OP said he doesn't doesn't generate that much power. If he's already under snapping or under powering (or both) a speed 9 disc than he is going to magnify whatever combination of problems he might be having by moving up to a speed 12. Innova in my opinion has some of the fastest real world discs, and by that I mean it takes way more power for me to get a speed 14 Innova fly like its ratings verse say a speed 14 legacy. This isn't a dig against legacy its just an acknowledgement that there is no uniform standard for disc speed among different manufacturers.

Discing down I think is also a better way to discover exactly what is going wrong with your form. Discing up just masks those problems.

Yep, good point. Valkyrie is a good choice then for a slower driver.

Cleav
A couple things I've yet to see mentioned:

OAT= off-angle torque--this occurs when, at the end of your pull-through and snap, you roll your wrist to the outside, causing the disc to turn over more than its indicated flight #. A common ailment of noobs, drunks and know-it-alls, it is cured by throwing MORE unstable discs, so you are forced to throw and gain distance without turning and burning [driving into the ground].

Marshall Street flight chart--a listing of discs by stability, speed and model-the basic flight characteristics of almost all discs. Use it to find discs to suit your style of throwing. Find your current discs and move to more/less stable, faster/slower, fade/turn etc.

My one suggestion is: don't try to change everything at once--steps, windup, discs, clothes, hairstyle, beverage, friends, city of residence. Right now, work on a straight, flat pull-through, without even taking a step.

From a Star Valkyrie to a Sidewinder to a Roadrunner. The Roadrunner gives me the shortest S turn while the Valkyrie gives me the longest S turn.

Latest posts