• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dekuscrub's ITB

dekuscrub

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: ~2.5 years

Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right-handed

Throwing Style: RHBH/RHFH

Golf Distance (avg/max) for putter/mid/driver :

- Envy: 280/320'
- Hex: 300/340'
- Teebird: 360/390'
- Emperor 400/450'
(All backhand)

Optional:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I generally like my bag. I took a very systematic approach to building it over the past few years, focusing on a set of core molds that can display a variety of flight characteristics in different plastics and stages of wear. I also like that I can throw every disc in my back both backhand and forehand. One thing I dislike about my bag is that it's a little boring. I didn't intend over 90% of my bag to be effectively just two manufactures. It just kind of naturally evolved that way over time.

Specific areas of desired feedback:
Happy to hear any feedback! Are there any obvious gaps? Any places I can trim down molds or discs?

Immediate and long-term goals:
I'm working on adding the faster drivers back into my bag. I had only been throwing Teebirds as my drivers since the beginning of the year. I feel like that process was very helpful, but I'm looking to jump back up to the full bag as I (hopefully) begin to play more this spring and summer.

I'm also looking to add a greater variety of shot shapes to my game. Right now, I throw almost every shot on a slight hyzer (both backhand and forehand). I also effectively have no utility shows.

Long term, I'm hoping to continue working on my form to add more distance and consistency. I'd also like to put a lot more work into my forehand form in general, as I have dedicated most of my effort into working on my backhand thus far.

Bag:

Distance Drivers:
- Destroyer, Halo (fresh) – very overstable, headwind
- Destroyer, Halo (seasoned) – moderately overstable
- Emperor, S-Blend (well-seasoned) – hyzer flips, s-flight
- Emperor, G-Blend (fresh) – flippy bomber, turnovers

Control Drivers:
- Thunderbird, Champion (seasoned) – very overstable, headwind, utility (this one is oddly FAF, basically a Firebird!)
- Thunderbird, Star (seasoned) – moderately overstable
- Thunderbird, G-Star (fresh) – straight-to-fade
- Sidewinder, Halo (seasoned) – hyzer flip, turnovers

Fairway Drivers:
- Teebird, Champion (seasoned) – moderately overstable
- Teebird, Metal Flake (seasoned) – straight to fade
- Teebird, Star (well-seasoned) – hyzer flips, straight shots
- Teebird, G-Star (seasoned) – hyzer flips, turnovers

Midranges:
- Pyro, Prism Proto (fresh) – overstable
- Hex, Eclipse (fresh) – straight to fade
- Hex, Neutron (seasoned) – neutral, straight shots
- Hex, Neutron (well-seasoned) – hyzer flips, straight shots, turnovers

Approach:
- Zone, ESP (fresh) – overstable, skips
- Zone, ESP FLX (fresh) – overstable, sits

Putters:
- Envy, Neutron Soft (seasoned) – moderately overstable
- Envy, Eclipse (well-seasoned) – neutral, straight shots
- Envy, Electron (well-seasoned) – hyzer flips, turnovers
- Envy, Electron Firm x2 (seasoned) – putting
- Glitch, Neutron Soft (fresh) – fun

Hello!
I like that you went down to Teebirds. Drivers fly different and should be thrown more nose down than mids and putters and I'm not always a huge fan of the advice of going all the way down to putters. I don't get enough driver practice and it sometimes feels like the weakest part of my game. Love the putter simplicity. What bag do you have that can hole 8 putters and 4 Mids?

Hello!
I like that you went down to Teebirds. Drivers fly different and should be thrown more nose down than mids and putters and I'm not always a huge fan of the advice of going all the way down to putters. I don't get enough driver practice and it sometimes feels like the weakest part of my game. Love the putter simplicity. What bag do you have that can hole 8 putters and 4 Mids?

Hello!

I totally agree. I used to go putters-only whenever I wanted work on things with a super simplified bag. I always enjoyed the process, but found that I tended to start throwing everything more nose-up and too high.

I use an Upper Park Rebel, with six putters in the two upper pockets and the Zones and midranges in the main compartment with all the drivers. Definitely recommend the bag. I'm a big fan.

GStar Teebirds can definitely get flippy... but they never quite fly the same as a Leopard.

I understand not carrying them in your full bag, but while you're doing fairway only spring, do you ever mix in leopard/leopard3s? A controlled leopard3 shot can go a long way and get you places a GStar Teebird can't.

I definitely throw a lot of teebirds on the course, but I also always have a fat stack of leopard3s for field work. I find they give much better nose angle feedback.

GStar Teebirds can definitely get flippy... but they never quite fly the same as a Leopard.

I understand not carrying them in your full bag, but while you're doing fairway only spring, do you ever mix in leopard/leopard3s? A controlled leopard3 shot can go a long way and get you places a GStar Teebird can't.

I definitely throw a lot of teebirds on the course, but I also always have a fat stack of leopard3s for field work. I find they give much better nose angle feedback.

This is a good point! When I went fairways only, I just took a bunch of discs out of my bag and didn't think too much about whether I wanted to add something else in. But I think you're right that mixing in some Leopard/3s (or something similar) would be a good practice.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity for me to try out a new disc or two...

Latest posts