• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best dye method to achieve a bowling ball look

jbrian24

Bogey Member
Hello folks, which dye method would you recommend to achieve the look of a bowling ball. The ones that have the 2 color swirl effect on them. I have a friend that is a bowler as well as a disc golfer and was thinking I might make him a disc that resembled a bowling ball. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I would probably go with the shaving cream method. The trick would be making the swirl pattern look right. I'll be curious to see what others recommend.

I would also think shaving cream.

I was thinking shaving cream was going to be the way to go, just thought I'd hit everyone up. Thanks for the input folks. If anyone else has any other suggestions feel free to keep posting them.

Definitely shaving cream but first I would do a simple stencil of the 3 finger holes...offset rather than centered, and in proper perspective (think ovals rather than circles) to create a more 'realistic' look. Let the dip dye sit for a day or two before doing the shaving cream to avoid the black bleeding.
My $.02

edit: Oooh!.....and mask off one of those 'bent rectangle" highlights opposite the holes to create more of a 3-D illusion :thmbup:

looking forward to seeing the results

Last edited:

Latest posts