• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best EVER to have never won Worlds

Actually. I'd rather he didn't. Cuz then he'd come back under a new username. I've already trained myself just to skip past his posts. Under a new name, I might accidentally read a few.....

He has a pretty unique posting style...I feel like an alt would be pretty easy to spot.

Ashton, Stokely, Courtney McCoy, Tom Monroe, Joe Mela

Ashton???

ASHTON?

hmmm

are-we-being-punkd.jpg

Sorry long story, but with a point.

During my tennis high school hey day, on my best state bid as a senior, I was eliminated in a last sectional round, only winning 5 points in the entire match. I tried real real hard. I got destroyed.

Deal was that my opponent needed to hurry and beat me to get to the state track meet. This is where he was a true star.

He did well in both tennis and track, later finishing 5th in the state in tennis. I bet if that tennis was his sport he could have done better.

I know people are "good at sports", many fewer are "great at sports". I notice these people, cause to do well, I have to try hard.

I met Mike Randolph at 2000 worlds. I was a spectator. I was the first to approach him as he walked disappointed away from the crowd, not making the final four ending up fifth. Maybe if disc golf was his sport, he could have made the last card. I heard he's better at ultimate, hard to imagine. He still played awesome as did his opponents. I asked him for the first autograph on my disc.

That disc now also has Ed, Julianna, Climo, Stokely, Schultz, Dr. Rick, Stan Mc Daniels autographs.

Courtney McCoy

There is part of me that relives the Final 9 playoff from 2018, knowing that when I tie Courtney on the ninth hole (after losing the four-stroke lead I had to start the Final 9), that I'm about to deny her the World Championship she has yet to win and certainly deserves. I didn't think of it that way at the time, obviously. It's something I've become more aware of in time.

I've never played against someone who scrambled so well in the woods, finding holes in the trees and turned probable bogeys into clean pars like Courtney did. Such an underrated player, and such a determined competitor.

At USWDGC in 2017, she had to beat Elaine, Barrett, and Des to claim the Masters title there. In 2018 at Masters Worlds, the only legend in the game I had only to beat was Courtney. Fate is cruel sometimes - while I don't regret my win, I am more aware of historically what I denied Courtney that day.

She's come so close so many times.

Last edited:

Latest posts