• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best First Disc

blizzard ape

Champion Ape was one of the first discs I bought, thinking, in my ignorance, well faster, that means better, right? I could throw my putter farther. :D

I forgot the groove. How stupid of me.

Yes, what a way to grow the sport that would be!

For those of you saying Mako, is that disc as straight as Inbound's chart would have you believe?

When I introduce someone to the game I always give them 2 discs. I give them a putter (SSS Magic) and a midrange (R-Pro Roc). This is for their first round. If it's their second or third round playing with me and I think they aren't doing that bad with form I'll toss them a TL to play with as well.

If it has to be just one disc then a opto pure. Great driving putter and can work some lines with it. For a second disc either a gl fuse or a warship.

I think it depends on the person who's throwing them. Whatever keeps them in the fairway and having fun (generally something slow and neutral). I've given people anything from a Sonic to a Leopard.

The important thing, in my opinion, is to throw the same disc(s) they're throwing. It gives them a chance to see what their disc can do and gives them an idea of how to make it do what it can. It's no fun to hand someone a putter for a round they're going to be throwing 100' and then have you pull out a driver and rip one 300'.

D buzzz did the trick for me, and got me my first ace. Although, I've found the buzzz has better success with seasoned ultimate players who are trying out DG than a person who is fresh to any kind of discing.

Axis.. Not only for new players but for everyone you know. I have given an axis to EVERY disc golfer i play with and they LOVE the disc, every single one made it into their bag. Its the best all around disc for a new player because its not going to fade hard and shorten their distance, its a little higher speed midrange than a buzzz plus it can do everything a buzzz can do and more. Its very easy to throw and it can bomb with enough practice over time. The axis just feels great in the hand and its easier to hold on to than most mid-ranges i have thrown

Im sure theres other discs out there that would work fine, but i would bet money that 9/10 people would choose an Axis vs. Any other disc mentioned in this post if they were given a chance to throw each side by side and have a first hand consistency, distance comparison.

Champion Ape was one of the first discs I bought, thinking, in my ignorance, well faster, that means better, right? I could throw my putter farther. :D

Yes, what a way to grow the sport that would be!

For those of you saying Mako, is that disc as straight as Inbound's chart would have you believe?

Yes the Mako is dead straight as long as you throw with good form, much like a Discraft Comet it will expose flaws in form (most tend to over torque and turn mid ranges, which is why roc and buzzz are so popular as they are very forgiving), so many get discouraged but I wish this disc had been around when I started, it would have made learning to throw good form so much easier in the long run.

The important thing, in my opinion, is to throw the same disc(s) they're throwing. It gives them a chance to see what their disc can do and gives them an idea of how to make it do what it can. It's no fun to hand someone a putter for a round they're going to be throwing 100' and then have you pull out a driver and rip one 300'.

Couldn't say it more perfect myself. You have to throw the same disc as the person you are teaching. Not only does it show them what that disc is capable it also will show them that they don't need to go out and purchase 10 different discs to play the game. Later on down the road yes but to start you should really stick to 3 discs.

Latest posts