• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mature & Senior Player Disc Request!

TedD

FILL MY BAG!
I want to introduce more "mature" (45+ yo) people to disc-golf! (And/or resurrect "long-retired" players back into the sport!)

-We have beginner bags which hold up to 8 discs plus an outside "putter pocket." What discs would you select? Please consider DD-FD-MID-P, "Over/Under"-stable, and disc name/brand. (Anticipating most DD discs may be beyond our capability). We would like to experiment various techniques. Therefore "versatility and variety" across just 8 discs would be paramount for Michigan DGCs.

Me: 67yo, my current bag (open to recommendations):
DD - Musket (occasionally)
FD - Hatchet, Fury, Sidewinder
MD - Fuse, Maul, Stratus, Claymore, Pursi (aka Warship), Tursas
PR - Maiden, Pure, Skeeter

Last edited:
I am a Michigander playing in the 60+ divisions. I am not going to give my recommendations of specific discs. The options are nearly limitless and you will just get a preference profile. Michigan has two primary manufacturers, Discraft and MVP. Many Michigan golfers look to keep the money at home. Light weight discs, particularly in the drivers section, would be very desirable. Generally, the older the arm, the less stability is desirable.

If you have questions or would like to get some insight into SE Michigan senior golf, feel free to reach out to me.

When you said "most DD discs may be beyond our capability" I at first assumed you meant it would be tougher for you to obtain Dynamic Discs. Then I realized you meant the ability to throw a Distance Driver!

So, for putting, let me recommend the glorious Prime Deputy. Great putter for a beginner for sure. Needs less effort to fly and can be obtained more cheaply than a similar Fierce. I use them for straddle putting because it's a little more difficult to get lower body energy in that stance at our age and they do their magic well for me. No need for fancier plastic Deputies, the base prime (or prettier prime burst) is good for tackiness in the putting game and will still last for years. It's not like Innova's base DX plastic, which I think sucks for putters (I love their XT though!). I like the prime grip for putting and the Deputies I have don't seem to wear away fast at all. My main one is three years old and I'm still banging lots of C2 straddles with it.

Latest posts