• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Form Diagnosis Disc

Best Form Diagnosis Disc?

• Comet

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • Pretty much any putter

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Roc

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Maxweight Boss in Champ plastic with pennies glued to it.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Other (aka post something else since I'm too lazy to think)

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
The Comet seems to be the unofficial disc of choice for people who need to detect crappy form and technique, but is it the best? Vote or die as Diddy would say.

I will vote Comet but say that a workout of 60% Comet and 40% putter is a great setup.

I've never thrown a Comet so I'm curious how exactly does it tell you if you have good or bad form? Are you supposed to be able to throw a Comet flat at full power without turning it over or what? And how far is it supposed to go on this straight line? I can throw my Buzzz flat and straight at about 85% power up to around 300', but if I really crank on it (which I only do when I'm messing around) then I have to hyzer-flip it to prevent it from turning over, so I'd imagine I would need to hyzer-flip a Comet at full power also since it has a lower stability rating. The Xpress is also rated at 0 stability and I have to hyzer-flip that disc to get it to go straight. Does this mean I have bad form or is there more to the equation?

I had an elite x comet once. It's supposedly the best plastic for revealing form flaws and it was a temperamental little SOB. It wasn't as flippy as say, a Skeeter, but whenever I put some muscle into it I could not get it to finish straight no matter how much hyzer I put on it. But I think there is some truth to it being diagnostic b/c it wasn't a flippy POS like that Breeze I had once. The only thing that disc revealed about me was that I had a pulse and more strength than a puppy.

this goes against the comet being the easiest best disc to throw...
no i never threw one,
i'm just saying if its good for tuning your form... then your form must be spot on for your throws everytime you throw it... maybe thats why i like the buzz ")

The Breeze is a touch-disc meant for shaping lines. You're definitely not going to be putting anywhere near full power into one of those discs if you want it to actually fly through the air. It's the same as my slightly beat-in Stratus, which btw is the best understable control disc on the market. I can do some crazy tight line shaping with that disc at around 50-66.42% power whether it's a touch anny or a short-to-midrange hyzer-flip turnover of up to around 250'. If I'm throwing it 150-200' I can get it to hyzer-flip and end perfectly straight. It really is an amazingly accurate disc as long as you're not trying to throw it for any sort of distance. I pretty much use it at the same distances I would use a long putter approach.

Check out the diversity of these holes that the Stratus works wonders on:

Hole #2 at Circle C (short tee): A little 204' touch anhyzer. Give it a little height and it sails right to the basket.
60407907.jpg

Hole #3 at Circle C (short tee): Hyzer-flip straight at it. I used to use a Challenger on this hole, but there's a hill off to the left of the basket and my Challenger would always be fading in that direction so I left myself with a lot of long putts. The Stratus will hyzer-flip straight at it or turn-over ever so slightly to the right, both of which are better spots to be in.
258ab000.jpg

Hole #4 at Circle C: Another dead straight hyzer-flip. Before I started using my Stratus on this hole I would go to the right of the "field goal trees" with a Wasp or Zone. The Zone is just not the best disc to hit gaps with, but when I did it was the perfect distance and fade and the Wasp was easier to hit the gap with, but would usually go too far. The straight ahead gap is narrower, but it ain't no thang with the Stratus. Bam! That's three birdies in a row with my Stratus and I'm sittin pretty.
107a0c86.jpg

There are so many more holes and shots that I use this disc on it has taken the spot of my pretty much all of my mids and putters for shots in the 150'-250' range except for on left turning shots. I actually bought it for this 234' right turning downhiller at Pease, which of course it works beautifully on.
cfcad12e.jpg

...wait, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah...discs that will show bad form...yeah I'd say the Stratus is one of those discs as long as you're not trying to throw it full power, which means maybe it's not a good disc to show bad form, but it's still one hell of a disc!

...wait, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah...discs that will show bad form...yeah I'd say the Stratus is one of those discs as long as you're not trying to throw it full power, which means maybe it's not a good disc to show bad form, but it's still one hell of a disc!

I like the Stratus for this choice also. At 75% speed and various slower speeds, I think this is a great disc to check your release, follow-through, approach angles, and less than 200 foot distances. I happen to like it even more than the putter for this.

Roc, Buzzz and/or a putter. I had only Rocs and putters in my bag to work on my form that is what a Barry Schultz told me. Because what every ur flaw is these discs will show you.

What's that? You want more pictures of holes that the Stratus kicks ass on? Sure thing.

Hole #3 at Westside Park in Marble Falls, TX: I'll throw the Stratus at the large gap straight ahead on a slight hyzer for this tricky 204' hole. I'll throw it around 50% power, but give it a lot of snap to make sure it turns over and goes right after it clears the first gap. This is a very challenging hole because after you get it through the initial gap, you go over the creek and the disc has to turn over, miss a tree to the right of the disc that will swat it back into the creek, miss the next group of trees that should now be to the left of the disc and get to the ground quick without sliding down the hill into the creek, which is directly behind the basket. The basket is actually on the backside of this small creek-surrounded island.
87f979cc.jpg

Hole #6 at Westside Park: If you look close you can see the basket in the "V" of that tree on the neerside of the scum-pond (although since it's been raining it's much clearer and the basket on the other side of all that water). It's kinda hard to tell, but you tee off from a hill about 10' higher than the rest of the surroundings. If you read my review you'll see I'm not the biggest fan of this hole, but it's another good example of a short hyzer-flip turnover hole that the Stratus excels at.
attachment.php

attachment.php

(Sorry about the big pics and thread jack, but the Stratus just doesn't get the credit that it deserves...I would create a thread for it if I though anyone would reply, so instead I'll just jack this thread with pretty pictures and talk of possibly the best understable control disc ever made.)

Attachments

• 1008091753.jpg
    1008091753.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 148
  • 1008091754.jpg
    1008091754.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 146
I like the Stratus for this choice also. At 75% speed and various slower speeds, I think this is a great disc to check your release, follow-through, approach angles, and less than 200 foot distances. I happen to like it even more than the putter for this.

Oh sweet, so it's not a thread-jack afterall. The Stratus is amazing. Even at slower putting speeds of 30 footers that disc flies straighter than most putters out there.

I'd say the comet is as well (shocking, right?)

Where the stratus fails in this department is that it is a truly understable disc, so even if you throw properly, it may turn over on you. The comet is one of the very, very few true stable discs that isn't a putter - it will go where you tell it to go as long as your form is correct. A roc/buzzz fails in this department because they are both slightly overstable, and can mask some of the smaller flaws in a delivery that a comet would pick up.

COMET! it takes a lot of work but after spending like two months with it, throwing it every night my form became better than ever.

Stable mids and putters are great for a lot of diagnosis, but there's one very important thing they might not help with: nose angle. They'll still fly well if thrown flat to nose up.

If you want to fix nose angle it will depend on how far you're throwing. If it's less than 320', a Polaris LS or Cheetah will require some nose down to fly well, but still be forgiving enough to make it easy to get that nose angle. If it's much farther than that something like a D Cyclone or DX Gazelle will do the same thing for you without getting squirrley. Once those are flying well stepping up to speed 9-10 discs to really work on getting the nose down will be more helpful.

In general, for form diagnosis what you really need is something that won't fly well for a crappy throw but doesn't require a perfect throw to fly well. You want the quality of the flight to reflect the quality of the throw. There are some discs, mostly understable ones *cough*Sidewinder*cough*, that will fly well for crappy thows and not fly well for really good throws. That makes them, IMO, bad for form diagnosis even though it's easy for a new player to get a long flight.