• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Holes, Period

My Top 9

Of the 45 courses I've played, here's my favorites (not in any particular order) -

Walnut Creek, Charlottesville, VA – #17 – Tee on top of a steep, steep hill with a beautful view of lakes and surrounding foothills. Wide open shot across field and down large earth berm to a basket set with a deep pool on one side and thick woods on the other.

Seneca Creek State Park, Gaithersburg, MD – #14 – Hole runs parallel to Seneca Creek, with creek on left side, and steep, thickly wooded incline on right side. Just about the perfect forest hole

Rockburn Branch, Elkridge, MD – #15 – long, long shot down steep hill from tee next to old farmhouse, across wide field, to basket set just over a stream about 40 feet inside the tree line. http://www.geocities.com/meklir/Rockburn/hole15.html

DeLaveaga, Santa Cruz, CA – #27 – launch off top of huge hill with view of the Pacific on a good day down over tall trees. http://www.delaveagadiscgolf.com/content/view/67/99/

Stafford Lake, Novato, CA – #6 – long, long shot down gradual, open hill, with a tremendous view from the tee. http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/pk/main/dg/hole6.html

Tocabaga, St. Petersburg, FL – #18 – long shot out of trees to basket set just off a small beach at the tip of the pennisula. Water and islands all around.

Winthrop Lakefront, Rock Hill, SC – #5 – Long shot from elevated tee pad across typically beautiful fairway surrounded by mature trees and varied flora.

Munden Point, Virginia Beach, VA – #8 – One of the longer holes on the course plays out to a pennisula with the basket at the very end on the river.

Bryan Park, Richmond, VA – #11 – 700' down a long slope among a varieity of large, old oak trees, across a deep cut creek, and then back up again to the basket.

As you can tell, I like water views!

As you can tell, I like water views!

you can see ocean and/or neighboring islands from more than half of my golf course...

i like water views as well

Attachments

• reduced hole 18.png
    reduced hole 18.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 9 pro view reduced.jpg
    9 pro view reduced.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 18 Tee View reduced.jpg
    18 Tee View reduced.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47
Hole 12 Hyzer Creek

saragreg.jpg

Last edited:
Three of my favorites would be:

1) #5 Winthrop Gold Course -Rock Hill, SC - 1053 ft par 5 with the lake on your left the whole way and finally finishing with a throw over the lake to a grass covered peninsula. Almost perfect.

2) #17 Wellspring - Burlington NC - 610 ft / 720 ft wide open monster after an entire round of medium to shorter woods holes. There are woods on the left and a lake on the right but the slight dogleg left hole is basically open (there are some 100 year old oaks in the middle of the fairway but it's big enough to throw around them). Nothing wrong with a par here, nothing at all.

3) #12 Hornet's Nest - Charlotte, NC - 638 ft par 5 which starts with a grass fairway which takes you 275 ft or so and then you basically take a 90 degree turn right into the woods. You better hit the hole or you will feel a par slip away. The fairway narrows through the woods the rest of the way until you finally come to the basket. Great hole requiring some distance but certainly placing a premium on control and strategy as well.

#7 at Ellison Park
#5 at Warwick (for the same reason as Raoul)
#1 at Prompton (Pin on small peninsula)
#5 Red at Codorus (great view throwing straight down to the lake)

There are probably some I'm missing but these are the ones that came to mind this morning.

Also, this hole at Aspen Mountain. I'm not sure what the hole # is, someone posted it over on discgolfreview but it looks amazing.

OMG that looks awesome!

There are lots of great holes here, but #15 @ Pier Park in North Portland, Oregon is...well you be the judge
hole-15-tee.jpg

The pads have all been re-done in concrete. The red pin distance is 360', the blue 462'

Holy cow I thought we had a nice park. Its a slum compared to these. (I still love it though).
You guys keep posting up pictures. must have more!

Seneca Creek State Park, Gaithersburg, MD – #14 – Hole runs parallel to Seneca Creek, with creek on left side, and steep, thickly wooded incline on right side. Just about the perfect forest hole

This is now Hole 13 at Seneca. It gets my vote as a "Best Hole, period".

So does Hole 8 at Patapsco Creek State park.
The "Beauty" at Brandywine.
There are a couple of holes at Paw Paw that qualify, especially the one where if you fall off the front of the tee pad, you roll down the cliff, possibly to your death.

Hole #18 at Renaissance Park in Charlotte is one awesome hole. I am also a fan of hole #7 at Ellison but I think my favorite there would be the hole where you tee off from the bluff and play it down over the tiers of low trees. I wish i could remember the number but we played there last summer. I know it is around 14-16. I love hole #2 at Mt Airy in Cincy. Also, I think it is either 14 or 15 at lake Moraine in PA that is an anhyzer to the fairway and then a steep descent to the lake. Gorgeous.

Some of the signature holes from around here are:

Hole 12 Grandview Park, Des Moines - Hills, distance, trees, OB...what's not to love?

Hole 15 Walnut Ridge, Des Moines - Not particularly interesting, but a 500'+ long, 20' wide tunnel with heavy woods on either side is a heck of a hole to have to play.

Hole 10 Pickard Park, Des Moines - First get by the trees, then worry about the giant hill, other trees and creek. It's its own safari hole: http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=IA&c=pickard&h=10

Hole 11 Bryant Lake Park, Minneapolis - Because throwing off hills is fun: http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=MN&c=bryantlake&h=11

Hole 8 Plymouth Creek, Minneapolis - Long with lots of trees, a sharp right dogleg and it all slopes twards a creek: http://www.playdg.com/courses/?s=MN&c=plymouthcreek&h=8

Hole 18 Hyland Ski and Snowboard Area, Minneapolis - 700'+ down a ski slope. Again, throwing off big hills is fun. Also, hole of the famous "Shot of the Year" on DGTV.

Parma

I'm surprised no one's put any holes from Parma (near Rochester) up yet:

- #6 - The hole comes out of the woods, across the field, and back into the woods, down a hill with pin to the right
- #9 - A really nice par 3 down across a river with the pin set up on a small hill

In the Delaware area:
- Brandywine: #14. Down a hill, with the basket tucked behind a large tree, making a 2 somewhat difficult. #4s nice, but I like 14 a bit more.

Hole 27- Top of the World- Dela Veaga..........No Question!

#27 Top of the World at Delaveaga is a blast, but on a difficulty scale, I'd put it in the middle. I gotta say, #13 on that course is one I've grown to love (in that masochistic way). Its about 400 down the fairway, but the pin is another 200 feet tucked away in some tight trees. And its a Par 3. We call it "I-5" (Interstate 5), cause its so damn long. There are only 6 holes on that course I've never birdied, and on #13, I've only gotten par once. I play the course at least once a week.

#23-Warriors Path State Park-straight,level,narrow bowl dotted with large hardwoods and boulders. Very unique-haven't seen another hole like it.

#27 dela santa cruz ca.
#10 corbin park post falls id.
#16 coyote pt. ventura ca.
all 3 holes are "top of the world" type shots with amazing views.

#5-Jimmy Porter, #4-Bill Allen, #2-Bicenntennial, #11?-Greenbelt, #10-Paul B Johnson. #12-Bear Creek to name a few.