• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best Long Distance Putters

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
I've been meaning to ask everyone about long putts. I have a few different putters I've used since I started playing a few years ago. And the ONLY putters I've found to work even half way decent so far are Kastaplast K3 Reko and the Discmania Link Exo Soft. They are the only two putters I've tried so far that are even sort of straight on shorter putts, as well as feel perfect in my hand. Anything from 5-20' is usually in.

But then as I get out to the 20/25' range or farther, the discs start turning left with a little fade. Which I know is just due to the distance and the putter having more air time to fade.

But when I go to putt from like 30+ feet, it's a total guessing game as to how much it will fade and then you add in wind, elevation and other stuff, and it's basically never going in. And those putters are 3/3/0/1 and 2/3/0/1. So very neutral, with not much fade, and it only shows up on longer putts.

So I'm just wondering if going to a putter with either more glide, more turn, or less fade will help straighten out putts from longer distances? I tried thinking about it objectively and can't come to a good conclusion.

Like if I got to a putter that's say 2/4/0/1 or something like that, will that help it stay straighter a little longer, because it's gliding more and not fading as fast? Or will it just help the disc float past the basket farther if I miss?

And if I go to a 3/3/-1/1, 3/3/-1/0, or 3/3/0/0 will that keep it straighter longer, or just make it turn right later in it's flight?

So just wondering not only about recommendations for super straight longer distance putters, but also the physics of what will keep a putter from fading as much when you are putting from longer distances? And is going to a higher glide putter better or worse from longer distances?

I know my putting ability is a large part of this. And it's getting better rapidly lately. I never used to take putting seriously, as it seemed SO stupid. But I'm realizing that putting from 35' or in at a high rate is a HUUUGE key to not only scoring well, but saving par from bad throws. And I've been working more on my putting stroke to try and get better mechanics. But having the right equipment also helps a lot.

It's mostly about your putting stroke tbf, but if you really insist on having a different putter from 25ft and out I could recommend the Classic Aviar. 2 3 0 0. Very straight, when thrown there's next to no fade. When used for putting it has a tiny bit of fade, but I challenge you to find a disc thrown at putting speed that doesn't fade.

As for technique, if you have a little bit of nose up on your putts then your putter will fade more than if you putt with it straight or especially if you throw it nose down

Developing more spin and transferring more power (generating more putt speed) in the lateral basket direction through your legs will straighten the putts out naturally. Most putters don't fly different at putting range and speeds. Focus on putting to 5-10ft past the basket at basket height.

You say the Reko/Link are perfect hand feel, so spend some time getting to know them.

I putt Classic Aviars and it is specifically because they are easier for me to keep on line in the 30-45 foot range.

I use the same putter from 5ft as I do out to 80ft (more than that and I'm not really 'putting')

I just change the spin/height/angle of release and make it work. I value consistency of feel and flight over a very marginally smaller chance to make a long putt that a less stable/higher glide disc might provide.

For me it was just about finding a putter with light fade that I liked. The Swan2 is it for me but the Deputy, Fierce, Proxy anything that won't fade much at all should be good as long as the wind is light.

I just use a more beat up version of my main putting putter. I know how its going to fly already since I have used it since new and it feels the same in the hand as my main putting putter. Its always worked well for me to keep it simple.

Unfortunately I find myself putting more Greg Barsby lines than Eagle lines. But, a Deputy and a Spin have very minimal fade compared to Aviar, Warden, P2.

Take your favorite putter and throw it fairly hard into the chains a few hundred times. It'll relieve stress and relieve fade.

I mostly putt with SS wizards. I have a couple RFF that have more glide. I tend to miss high with the RFF ones inside the circle, but I bag one specifically for 35+ ft putts. Yeti Aviar also will glide far and straight.

Two things here.

1. Consistently making 30 footers doesn't just happen overnight, or at least didn't for me. There was no single trick to employ or disc to buy that instantly added 15 feet to my makeable putting radius. Instead, I found that with practice my makeable range gradually expanded and my putting form got a bit more powerful to where I could use the same technique further out. Eventually I re-measured my practice area in the backyard, and found that what I thought were 20 footers were actually more like 26 footers. I didn't notice because now 26 footers feel like what a 20 footer used to.

2. This thread is in the discs section, not the strategy and technique section, so clearly you don't want to just get a lecture on practice. I get it. But I had to throw my first point in there because that really is what expands your putting ability -- repetition. As for actual discs on longer range putts, I do usually switch to a more beat up version of my main putter (Judge) for circle's edge putts and beyond. It just stays a tad straighter than a fresh one. I fast-tracked the beat-in period by having my backyard basket on a concrete patio for a while, and I also use that putter as my hyzerflip driving putter. So it has been well seasoned despite being in my bag for less than a full year. I did try out some less stable putter molds at one point (I remember liking the Gateway Magic) but ultimately found I prefer carrying a beat-in version of my main putter.

Archer > Arrow

While I agree that the Aerobie Arrow feels terrible, I can't recommend a Discraft Archer for putting duties. It is way too fast and has too much glide to be precise in Circle 2. I recommend sticking to more traditional putters. :D

I'll echo the "more beat up version of your main putter" advice. I also like to drop it down a couple grams. I like to putt Wizards 173-174g, but I also carry an old beat one in the 170-172 range for longer jump putts and short approaches.

I putt MVP Anodes. They are as straight at 10' as they are at 100'. Putt them straight, and they go straight. If they don't go straight, you didn't putt it straight. I throw them as well. I can't imagine anything flying straighter at a wide spectrum of power.