• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best mobile basket out there?

KWK82

I was looking for a pretty robust mobile basket to keep in my car for the season and take with me for practice anywhere I go. The basket in the link below is the only one I could find that seemed to be the best overall. I would like to get some more but want to know if there are any other ones you guys would recommend and why? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GiRMyG3cvs

The Mach Lite is a good basket for the trunk. The Innova just looks too funky to me to practice well on. I know it's all the mental game, but it makes a difference.

I've been using the Mach Lite for a couple years, now. It's set up for Finnish Putting at home this spring, but I was setting it up at work during lunches last summer.

Last edited:
I think that would work great for a trunk solution. How long have you had yours and how is it holding up?

I might be in the minority here, but I really don't care for the DGA Mach Lite. I've had mine for two seasons and the thing has ruined more disc's than I care to count. The leg's tend to chew up disc's if you hit low and your disc bounces down(I know...don't hit low...well guess what...that's why I'm practicing :D). I've had huge chunks sliced off brand new putters because of these d@mn things. Not to mention, the metal ring that's supposed to keep your chains in place doesn't work for crap. Since day 1, I've had issues with the chains coming undone. Never got resolution from DGA on it. So I fixed it myself with some shrink tubing. But that stuff does wear out, so I've had to replace it a couple of times.

I would say the Traveler or the Mach Lite are your best options for portables. If I hadn't found a Mach Lite on sale for cheaper than a Traveler, I would have a Traveler. Collapses into a compact enough package to not eat your entire trunk space yet it still catches quite well.

None of the portable folding baskets are all that amazing, they've all got their flaws. If you were to spend the same amount to dough making a DIY basket you could probably have a product better than what's available. I have a MachLite, here are a few of the issues I have with very few miles on the odometer:

- the top sags
- the pin that holds the basket in place shoots off when hit on low puts
- the stitching at the basket webbing is coming undone
- I no joke broke the plastic stick that holds the wind directional flag on my first putt

The MachLite probably the most similar to an actual basket in the highly portable relm though.

MachLite:

- the top sags
- the pin that holds the basket in place shoots off when hit on low puts
- the stitching at the basket webbing is coming undone
- I no joke broke the plastic stick that holds the wind directional flag on my first putt

The MachLite probably the most similar to an actual basket in the highly portable relm [sic] though.

I've had a machlite sitting outside for over a year now... so it's gone through all the seasons.
Can't say I've seen the top sag or the stitching come undone... however, the flag stick broke almost as soon as I got it and the pin issue has happened too.

I have a Machlite as well. I've only had 1 issue and that was the ring that holds the outer chains separated and chains came loose. I "fixed" it by wrapping electrical tape around the gap in the ring. I don't use the directional flag, so I haven't broken that yet. I'm not sure how anyone is having issues with the pin that holds the basket up though. Does the pin not look like this?

wire_lock_pins.jpg

If you fasten it correctly, there is no way it could come off from a low putt.

I've had the pin issue as well. The arched part on my pin snapped off from a low putt. So now I just have the pin. It the pin does fall out every so often. My flag last two rounds of putting before getting snapped off.

I like my traveler, so quick to set up and take down. The width of the chains is narrower than standard baskets, so you need to be a little more accurate with your direction, but the basket underneath catches discs very well, get little to no bounce outs, once the disc is in there.

Mach Lite has been good to me as a travel basket for a year and a half.

Only travels and used for breaks on the road, so it is never left out long. Set-up 1 - 4 times a week. Perfect shape. Wiped down and sprayed the the tube a couple times.

Mach Lite may add a little texture and character to some putters.

My Mach Lite has treated me well for almost 3 years now. Most of the time it stays setup in the garage, but I have traveled it around a bit. I have had the Pin issue, too. a tiny piece of Tape fixes that.

Not sure if it fits your desires, but for what it's worth, I love the convenience of my Discatcher Traveler. It sets up and tears down in seconds, and is light enough to lift with one hand or comfortably sling over your shoulder. It's fantastically convenient to carry down the street to my neighborhood park, or throw into the car and take it out to a nearby field.

The chains are the down side, mostly for their narrower catching radius and the occasional blow-through. But since I use it for practice, I could care less about those issues. If anything, the baskets out on the course suddenly feel more generous.

Latest posts