• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best non disc players pack items?

Homemade soap would be a great addition to a players pack. But, the effort needed vs. the appreciation would not be feasible.

*Most things in life, like this in the present. :|

Socks are the cliche thoughtless gift, so I'd expect jokes and/or gruff if I went with that one.

Snacks are one of these things that are very personal. I bet I've thrown away 75% of the "freebie" snacks that I've gotten in my life. I've never gotten sunblock as a freebie, but that is sort of the same thing. I've used sunblock that has cause irritations that were so bad that I had to go to the ambulatory clinic that day. I suppose I would find value in having something that I can give people when they ask to use my sunblock.

As a player that has never played a tourney, but plans to in the not too distant future, I feel like I need towels, minis, scorecards, pencils, knee pads. The knee pad minis are something that would probably be useful to me that I'd never buy on my own.

Trust me when you do start playing tournaments you will be like, oh great another towel, mini, and pencil. That's pretty much every player's pack at every event. Also companies, Innova specifically, make pretty sick disc golf socks.

We've got a sponsor giving us little portable bottles of branded hand sanitizer for an upcoming event. Any other year, that'd be junk....

Normally, we don't have any players packs at the tournament we host. This year we're doing it as a Covid precaution, to avoid having merchandise that people rifle through. Trying hard to avoid the junk.

Oh, I almost forgot this. For a couple of years TD and all-around great guy Scott Reek was putting his players packs in heavy-duty cardboard disc storage boxes imprinted with the name and logo of the tournament. Those were a pretty big hit.

A Mini would be cool, lots of the one disc or two disc driver 8-9 speed and putter players do not have a mini who enter in at the rec level or the lowest level and they try to use a non marking item like the other disc or a bottle they have with them. I have seen this as a big issue with some C tier and lower B tier PDGA events.

I had at the time only 1 mini that was a stupid color, black as the Play It Again Sports I got may first discs outside the Rubber Putter had only an ugly version of higlighter Yellow that hurt my eyes to look at or black for the mini So I had to buy for $7-$8 the Black Hills Disc Golf Konfedreacy mini from the tournament in Rapid City South Dakota in a easy to find Teal or dark Seafoam color that I still have but will only use in an emergency, the logo is a tad racist using the Confederate flag on a gold mining pan that is also a disc golf disc.

this is a good start https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Express-...ords=mini+disc+for+kids&qid=1600640971&sr=8-5 and can add a logo via a sticker. If the players are worried about the sticker coming off, have a can of clear Flex Seal to use a light layer for the players to use to keep the tournament sticker from coming off.

I friend of mine that TD's gave out tourney stamped cooling towels.
Those things are great on hot days. Love mine!

Last edited:
This question is a bit tough for me as I've contributed to the escalating player pack debate. As a sponsor, I try to add to the pack outside of the already planned items by the TD. My thought process is to find first something useful and then second something the player might not have thought of, but comes to appreciate...mind you, this is unnecessary, but was something I wanted to do...I've always kind of wondered if this is a bad idea, but oh well, it's something I enjoyed doing at the time.

This year was whale sacs and a pro pull.
Not to distant past, I included a kneesie (knee pad) and a flight towel.
Last year may have been a tad lame, I did a cooling towel gator and a cooling gel beaded head band...it was 93 degrees in late July and 93 percent humidity...thought it would be more practical.

The core tenant being, something practical and something they wouldn't have thought of, but might appreciate.

I'm Tding an event at the end of October and we are giving out tournament printed jackets. They are moisture wicking and have a port for your headphones. The are fleeced lined and a poly blend on the outside, we are also thinking about a neck gaitor to double as a facemask option as well as being able to help with the cool mornings.

I always like giving out something that is "in season" and can be used for the event and the next couple of months. I remember getting beanies in late spring and summer and always thinking those items would be better for events in the fall and winter.

Background: in the US, played in 7 tournaments...this would be my response to anyone running a tournament.
Towels - please no....I have gotten 7 towels
Mini - cool idea. Only have one mini from a tournament
Socks - please no. I wear minimalist ('barefoot') shoes for disc golf and don't need socks.
t-shirt - good...but my wife had said 'another disc golf t-shirt???'
Snacks - awesome....don't have snacks with nuts as there are folks with allergies
Sports bottle - the plastic kind...nice idea.
Vendor discount code - really awesome. Get a disc company to provide a discount code specifically for your tournament
Chalk/resin/etc bag - awesome idea.
Kneeling pad (Towch Kneezie) - this is very handy

Best players pack item I ever got was a KwikStik XL. It was during the first tournament at a new course that had water on 13 holes, so it was both relevant and useful. It's still in my bag over a year later.

Careful what you wish for.

Police seize 345,000 used condoms that were cleaned and sold as new

200924111029-used-condoms-vietnam-0910-exlarge-169.jpg

A lot of people have mentioned towels, but I only had one towel until I got one in a player's package after playing for four years, and I've only gotten one more since. Minis, on the other hand, I have flowing out my closet.

I second socks, snacks, and shirts (if they're good). Also consider giving players the option of declining part of all of the player's package for a small discount.

I'm Tding an event at the end of October and we are giving out tournament printed jackets. They are moisture wicking and have a port for your headphones. The are fleeced lined and a poly blend on the outside, we are also thinking about a neck gaitor to double as a facemask option as well as being able to help with the cool mornings.

I always like giving out something that is "in season" and can be used for the event and the next couple of months. I remember getting beanies in late spring and summer and always thinking those items would be better for events in the fall and winter.

@roadtripstuff I'm curious about the jacket idea; What kind of jacket was it (ie vendor/model)? any pics of it available? How did the idea go over with the players?

We have had a good response to nice, collared, dri fit shirts. We have talented artist in our club, so they also have some very cool artwork on them.

Last edited:
@roadtripstuff I'm curious about the jacket idea; What kind of jacket was it (ie vendor/model)? any pics of it available? How did the idea go over with the players?

https://www.shirtmax.com/midweight/2042-mens-trace-printed-fleece-jacket.html?color=2622&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqrb7BRDlARIsACwGad4cqfTtRpaSURnyKfXWznB_OA7O1bvkbDvgL7pkMfcvXLrNMJrFvVIaAssqEALw_wcB

There's a link to the jacket. We got a bulk deal for ordering over 80 of them (not from this site) and our club also has the ability to screen print our own stuff that helps a lot as well, as far as costs go. I won't know for sure how they went over until the event, but things like this always seem to go over well around here. Most of our local players are always asking for more GOOD merch over discs. I think the problem with most merch is everyone wants to give you a t-shirt, or towel, or a frickin coozie.

Latest posts