• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best shoes for DG in the rain

HiFi

Double Eagle Member
Name w/e boots or shoes you use when battling severe mud and moisture. Any other keeping dry tips are welcome to the discussion.

Big fan of Merrells and the moab goretex ones are what I currently use. That said I've had them only a year and they need replaced already. I am hard on shoes though I play one or two rounds almost daily so they get a lot of use.

For dry weather I have moved from the Adidas Sambas to the Nike Gato. Extremely low profile and light shoes that are inexpensive and durable. A very flat sole for easy rotations.

I will be using the shoes I get for wet and muddy conditions only and hope to have them a few years by only using them when needed.

I am leaning towards the Merrells right now. They have them at REI for $90 and there is no tax on clothing in MN.

Last edited:
I use Keen Targee II's. I have a pair of lows and mids. Mids tops for the winter in Maine. Only thing that I have seen are that parts of the sole will seperate from the rest of the shoe. I bought mine at LL Bean so there is a lifetime warranty but I think Keen may also have some kind of guarantee as well.

I see they have the Keens at REI too. That pair has a solid built look to them. I assume that the sole separated at the toe there?

Big fan of Merrells and the moab goretex ones are what I currently use. That said I've had them only a year and they need replaced already. I am hard on shoes though I play one or two rounds almost daily so they get a lot of use.

Mine only lasted a year too.

However, most shoes only last about 2 months for me...so I think that says something. I have never gotten the waterproof moabs but my ventilators are very comfortable.

The Moabs are a good shoe. The Gore-tex gave out on mine after about a year and a half of very heavy use so I returned them for a pair of Keen Targhee II hikers which I've only used for about a month or so. Very comfortable.

Regardless of the shoe/boot, if you want true dryness get some Gore-tex socks. All Gore-tex (especially footwear) breaks down after a while though so be prepared to replace as needed.

Waterproof Merrells for me too, I don't know if they are actual goretex anymore, heard there was a dispute over the licensing or some noise, but the waterproof moabs are money and comfy!,

Agree with Merrels, but if it is pouring out, I prefer non-waterproof shoes that let the water out. Otherwise, it's like wearing buckets. I have a pair of Merrell ventilators that breathe great and are cool on a hot day. I think the gortex are great for playing in muddy conditions after a rain, but not during.

Merrell's got a new shoe out called the Proterra. They look sporty, kinda like some keens or Salomon's. Haven't worn them, so I got no feedback for you, but if you're leaning towards Merrell's, give them a look.

Slippers take the day off and enjoy a book.

There is a group of 5 of us that are leaving Tuesday for the Twin Cities to play the courses in the Minnesota Majestic. The weather has been wet recently and might stay that way. Staying in isn't really an option this time. We will be playing for 4 of the days so we plan to maximize our time in the area.

Those of us in the PAcific NW would never be able to play then.
I'm one my second set of Targhee II's and they are waterproof. The soles are a two piece so they do seperate over time and there are softer pads on the bottom that wear especially if you are playing on concrete pads. They are not waterproof after that happens, more like a sponge.

Salomon Eskape GTX..................Best shoe ever. It has goretex and it works great accidently stepped in a puddle of water and thought to myself oh crap my socks are going to be soaked then I realized I had the best shoes in the world on and kept on playing.

Lots of people have commented about the Merrell Moabs, but has anyone had experience with the Chameleons? Personally, I like the look of them better. And the stretch ones you don't have to tie.

There is a group of 5 of us that are leaving Tuesday for the Twin Cities to play the courses in the Minnesota Majestic. The weather has been wet recently and might stay that way. Staying in isn't really an option this time. We will be playing for 4 of the days so we plan to maximize our time in the area.

what course you hittin thurs and fri?

also i just wear vans authentics like usual, and let em get wet. maybe lose the socks if i dont wanna be bothered by that.

Latest posts