• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best shoes for DG in the rain

I wear Asolo Powermatic 200 (full grain leather, oil it regularly), and gaiters if the conditions call for it, in nearly all conditions (rain, snow, ice, mud), just this past weekend I was up to my knees in mud, constantly walking through running water, rain falling, piles of slushy snow, etc. I have never experienced this phenomenon of 'wet feet'.

I play in Smartwool socks and non waterproof New Balance Minimus shoes with great grip and great sense of what you are stepping on. I would rather feel the conditions than try to prevent the rain from getting in. Unless it is cold. Then I'll use something with a bit more thermal protection. when your shoes get wet they get heavy and cumbersome. In the carolina mud, that can mean a lot of weight to drag around.

I see they have the Keens at REI too. That pair has a solid built look to them. I assume that the sole separated at the toe there?

It was acutally more to the sides of the ball of the foot behind the toes.

I really like how the sole comes up over the toe. That part is VERY durable. I know a few people that drag their toes sometimes and this is really saves the life of the shoe.

My father-in-law was a park ranger, and is a serious Bear Grylls, outdoorsman type. His tip for me for rainy DG was less about the shoes, and more about the socks. Most "waterproof" shoes either aren't totally waterproof, or are completely waterproof but don't ventilate well. Either way you've got soggy feet.
There are some hiking boots that are legit waterproof and ventilate well. But you're going to pay $120-$250 for those, and they're not going to be light.

Get a pair of comfortable DG shoes, my personal favorite are trail running shoes, which are usually more comfortable and much lighter that hiking shoes. And then buy a few pairs of wool socks. Not wool blend. Wool.
Your feet will get wet, but never feel wet, and won't fester and rot like they will with cotton or poly socks.

If I'm wearing my wool socks, I can walk out into a knee-deep stream to grab a disc, wring out my socks, and they're bone dry in 2 minutes.

personal preference is vivobarefoot Evo II. Pull out the removable insole, and wear with smartwool socks. The shoes are water resistant, and the sole is perfect for disc golf. The tread isn't overly aggressive so as to prevent movement on the tee pad, and it's just aggressive enough to allow sure footing with the added bonus of proprioception :thmbup:

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/media/c...e95/a/w/aw12_mens_evo_dk_grey_red_angle_3.png

I wear Vibram Bikilas or Chuck Taylors usually for DG. The Bikilas I don't care what I walk thru, when I get home I can always toss them in the wash and lean them against the wall w/a small fan on them and they will be dry in the morning. No your feet won't stay dry, but it isn't cold enough out that I'm super concerned about it. Injini lightweight no show socks and even when I was playing around of DG in misty rain and feet soaked instantly, I never felt like I was carrying much water b/c it easily exits the shoe too. The lightweight socks also have very little sock to them, so they arent' bunching up weird on your feet.

I may look into a pair of Vibram Lontras as winter gets closer this year. Depends how well my BIkilas are holding up to tee pads, altho the Lontra has the Treksport sole, which should do nicely.

I loved the merrell moabs until the quality went down, but I also moved to California so I haven't gone looking for a replacement. I use Keen winter boots when it's snowy/slushy/cold and muddy, and if it's warm out I'll just throw on tevas or shoes with a bunch of mesh so the water drains out. With thin, quick drying socks my feet are dry again half an hour after the rain stops.

Name w/e boots or shoes you use when battling severe mud and moisture. Any other keeping dry tips are welcome to the discussion.

Obviously you've gotten many answers For me on a muddy course, regular old hiking boots and waterproof socks are the ticket. If it's cold, snow boots. (Mine have hiking soles.) Whatever, a bag of sorts to hold the muddy boots afterward is a must. Unless you have a truck and can just throw them in the bed.

I cannot wear any of these hiking boots/shoes. So uncomfortable, especially after a few hours of walking.

I'm so used to high end athletic shoes that maybe my feet are just spoiled, but I have a pair of Chameleon III's Goretex, Keen MiloII's, and Moab low Ventilators pretty much collecting dust.

I went with the Keens, they were on sale for $86. Played in them all day Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat with no problems. No blisters or sore feet. Fantastic traction and grip even on the muddy hillsides and wet rocks.

We played at Kaposia, Valley DGC, Blue Ribbon Pines, Bryant Lake, Acorn, and Hidden Lake near St. Cloud so it was a pretty good test run as far as terrain.

I am a bit concerned about the durability but as long as I'm only using them when it's wet or muddy I think they will be fine for what I need.

I cannot wear any of these hiking boots/shoes. So uncomfortable, especially after a few hours of walking.

I'm so used to high end athletic shoes that maybe my feet are just spoiled, but I have a pair of Chameleon III's Goretex, Keen MiloII's, and Moab low Ventilators pretty much collecting dust.

Sizes?

Some of the places I go will shred an athletic style shoe in short order. (The voice of experience talking.) The soles just won't handle the terrain and due to their flex are actually less comfortable than real hiking boots. (Again experience talking.)

Have you ever had a real shoe salesman check your fit? I purchase my work boots from a full service store and they will fit your boots six ways to Sunday. Also proper, quality insoles help a lot. I replace mine about every year.