• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Speed 8-10 distance drivers??

Avengers are great discs. Starfire is similar. I would think both would be on the stable end of the spectrum for someone that doesn't want to move up to a faster more power input type disc. I know they make 150 class avengers too. Maybe you could repost with what specifically you are unhappy with about the Surge SS? Too stable? Inconsistent? There is a related thread about that particular disc. ESP Surges are pretty nice too, and less stable than either the Avenger or Starfire.
KP

NoMoreTinCup said:
Avengers are great discs. Starfire is similar. I would think both would be on the stable end of the spectrum for someone that doesn't want to move up to a faster more power input type disc. I know they make 150 class avengers too. Maybe you could repost with what specifically you are unhappy with about the Surge SS? Too stable? Inconsistent? There is a related thread about that particular disc. ESP Surges are pretty nice too, and less stable than either the Avenger or Starfire.
KP

I still throw ND Surges.....old school :)

what about the champ viking the one i had years ago was a great straight line disc and doesnt reqire the arm speed of the orc but also a champ beast is a good D driver and new can hyzer flip up and have a little fade at the end

So I bought a Champ Beast today and that disc was very overstable Cut hard to the left on every drive. I've never thrown a Beast like that. Think I'll give my P-PD a shot again.

Strikers may be something to look at, they bomb for as small a rim as they have, at least as long as a PD if not longer

JHBlader86 said:
So I bought a Champ Beast today and that disc was very overstable Cut hard to the left on every drive. I've never thrown a Beast like that. Think I'll give my P-PD a shot again.

it being a speed 10 champ plastic disc, it's going to be unexpectedly stable before it wears in a bit. hell, my Monarch seemed super stable when I first bought it

These guys would have you believe PDs flew by themselves. Nobody ever went wrong throwing an Orc.

Pro Starfire
ESP Surge
P-PD
X Avenger
MOLF

Top five longest to shortest. X avenger being the most predictable and versatile for me.

Eric O said:
These guys would have you believe PDs flew by themselves. Nobody ever went wrong throwing an Orc.

I'm not a fan of the Orc and I have a night time ace with a Champ 167. I know that there are varying stabilities and from what others have written mine are on the LSS side. Less HSS and LSS than a Wraith and shorter flippy. Yawn. There are better speed 10s out there and not just the PD. Star 170 Beast a very hard kind is flippier but extremely glidey and quite little LSS and now in cold wet weather the longest disc I have that is of normal weight range. Even a broken in 167 pro Katana fell a few short. And that needs a good rip and hitting a small height and hyzer gap whereas you can mess up a lot with the Beast as long as it's high enough to not turn and burn and it's faaar. Totally wacky for a 10 speeder winning a 13. The only thing longer than that Beast I have are super light R-Pro Bosses. And they make the Beast look stable. And that Beast is still very much a hot rod. Not the easiest disc to hit a long gap although with proper learning it is possible. It's not an easy disc for those throwing far because you need accuracy and repeatability in your form while giving top power. So I wouldn't call it best for anything else than extreme D. And it is not great in the winds.

Lots of great discs in that speed range. I'll list a few of my personal favorites.

Top 5 - in no particular order. I'd throw any of these discs in a heart beat if I had to.
X Avenger
DX, Star Valk
Champ Orc
SOLF
Pro Starfire

Honorable mention:
Z Talon
S-PD
Opto Striker

JR said:
Eric O said:

I'm not a fan of the Orc and I have a night time ace with a Champ 167. I know that there are varying stabilities and from what others have written mine are on the LSS side. Less HSS and LSS than a Wraith and shorter flippy. Yawn. There are better speed 10s out there and not just the PD. Star 170 Beast a very hard kind is flippier but extremely glidey and quite little LSS and now in cold wet weather the longest disc I have that is of normal weight range. Even a broken in 167 pro Katana fell a few short. And that needs a good rip and hitting a small height and hyzer gap whereas you can mess up a lot with the Beast as long as it's high enough to not turn and burn and it's faaar. Totally wacky for a 10 speeder winning a 13. The only thing longer than that Beast I have are super light R-Pro Bosses. And they make the Beast look stable. And that Beast is still very much a hot rod. Not the easiest disc to hit a long gap although with proper learning it is possible. It's not an easy disc for those throwing far because you need accuracy and repeatability in your form while giving top power. So I wouldn't call it best for anything else than extreme D. And it is not great in the winds.
Ive been considering a Pro Beast for max D, currently using a DX Valk and P-PD (for more control) in this slot. What do you think of the Pro Beast vs Star?

Eric O said:
These guys would have you believe PDs flew by themselves.

What are you talking about? I just step onto the teebox, and hold the PD out in my hand. The thing just takes off by itself everytime! It's a thing of beauty! If yours doesn't do that, you must have gotten a defective one. :)

krik72 said:
Ive been considering a Pro Beast for max D, currently using a DX Valk and P-PD (for more control) in this slot. What do you think of the Pro Beast vs Star?
A longer Valk would pretty much be an Orc. Beasts are longer yet (at least with <400ft of power they are), but they are reeeally touchy and don't have the most predictable fade. Star is better than Pro if you have to though. They have the potential to pretty much be as long but they last much longer before losing too much of their stability.

I really liked the flash in this spot for long time. I now throw the z xs in this spot slower but the glide makes up the distance. the flat z crush will work great as well but more stable. the more I think about it I would say flash.