• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best States with Open Courses?

I think it is a very good idea to consider your hobbies and personal interests as well as your career when relocating to a new city. Plus consider weather, wages, cost of living and about 12,000 other things. What is your major or career choice?

For example: If you are in banking, try Charlotte, insurance, choose Des Moines...

K...should've been more specific...DG should not be the driving factor behind career choices imo.

Troll thread of the year

Aaaannnnddd speaking of trolling...

personally, I prefer wooded courses... but open courses are everywhere... aren't they? These tend to be park courses on public land I think... and yeah, I agree with the second post... they get boring really fast. Nothing like learning to thread the needle on a technical course. my 2 pennies anyhow ;)

Open courses are few and far between in NC. Wooded courses are generally the norm here.

To the OP, have you considered napalm or a newer, less toxic Agent Orange? That pesky 210' tunnel shot just became a piece of cake!

But in case there was a serious question in there, you'll be able to find open courses in almost any big city. In general, do a search for courses on DGCR and sort by lowest rating.

Set up a basket in the middle of a soccer field and just throw to it from the perimeters of the field. Or learn to throw in the woods. Or move to Kansas.

North Dakota. They have only 2 heavily wooded courses in the state. Or at least they did a couple of months back.

yep, but there is heavy equipment to throw around
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2120
I wonder if that course is still even around? I imagine only the people who go down there are mostly scientists and possibly work/maintenence crews to support them.

Does anyone actually know the person who reviewed it? elementfx
Seems legit, but they're a drive by reviewer with no posts and that's their only review.
I'm just skeptical the baskets have remained for more than a decade, more from the equipment and other activity than the cold.

Those types of courses tend to become quite boring after a short while.

This

A couple years ago I moved from NH to VA. My new local course is wide open, with only one hole that is even remotely wooded. Sometimes it's nice to have a nice wide open course with manicured grass. It's relatively easy for me to play through an entire round without setting foot in any sort of rough, but it's also boring. Every throw is brainless, just step onto the tee and let it rip. My overall score is mostly determined by how well I finish each hole rather than how it starts. The difference between a good drive and a bad is a few feet of distance on my approach/putt. I never get to experience that thrill of hitting a perfect line to park my drive, or stringing together a nice run of tough birdies.

No.

Your approach to this topic is wrong. Learn to throw in the trees. This will make you a much better dg'er overall. Seriously. Accuracy > distance.

Plus, I don't think you ought to be making major life changing career decisions based on where your ideal disc golf is...

Yes and no.

I would agree that the approach is way way wrong to look for open courses. As has been said and repeated as one improves the lack of challenge becomes boring and wide open Hyzer-courses become very un-enjoyable and lacking.

On the other hand when young making a career decision and weighing heavily location for relocating based on activities and hobbies is way way underappreciated. I've known many people to chose their landing spot in life based on their preferred hobbies and activities and they are simply happier in life.

North Dakota. They have only 2 heavily wooded courses in the state. Or at least they did a couple of months back.

As I remember my trip through ND, they only have two heavily wooded TREES in the state.

Johnson County, Kansas. (That's the middle-class suburb of Kansas City on the southwest corner.)

Kansas City is chockablock with wide-open courses (and some technical ones, too), and Emporia, Kansas, home of Dynamic Discs and their half-dozen-plus disc golf courses is right down the road from there, too. There's a tournament within easy distance literally every weekend of the year.

I wonder if that course is still even around? I imagine only the people who go down there are mostly scientists and possibly work/maintenence crews to support them.

Does anyone actually know the person who reviewed it? elementfx
Seems legit, but they're a drive by reviewer with no posts and that's their only review.
I'm just skeptical the baskets have remained for more than a decade, more from the equipment and other activity than the cold.

I know two different individuals that work down there, neither of them seem like scientists to me, maybe they're more on the maintenance side, I'm not sure exactly what it is they do down there, I'll have to ask more specifics when I come across either of them next. More importantly, I will have to ask them the status of the disc golf course.

I know two different individuals that work down there, neither of them seem like scientists to me, maybe they're more on the maintenance side, I'm not sure exactly what it is they do down there, I'll have to ask more specifics when I come across either of them next. More importantly, I will have to ask them the status of the disc golf course.
Someone posted this on on reddit Feb 13, 2017:
7adE9ZE.png

I guess trees aren't the main obstacles.

Last edited:
Tradewinds Park in South Florida is about as open as it can get, and as a result it lives up to its name. SO MUCH WIND.

Hi,

I am relatively new to disc golf, about one year, and have come to realize I can throw extremely well drives in open fields. In the woods I do not do as well. Up where I am in Vermont, there are a ton of trees. I have about three holes on the two courses in my town that have no trees, and there is one other course close by that has zero, but it is much more open then the ones in my town. My main question is what areas of the US have many open courses where I could plan to move to once I get my college degree?

Thank you all!

Which courses do you play in VT? While pretty much all are wooded, some are much better than others. North Calais and Black Falls are my absolute favorites while something like the Quarries is at the opposite end of the spectrum for me.

Latest posts