• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

Spotsylvania, VA rings a bell. You have the Blockhouse, formerly known as The Grange(2-18 hole beauties & 18 tiki holes) and worth the drive alone, Loriella Park, Hawk Hollow which is fantastic, but only open seasonaly, its on a private working farm, so make sure its open first. Then your in close proximity to Richmond and Fredericksburg as well.

Marshall, MO. About 15k population, and 2 really good courses in a very small town, and it's close enough to Kansas City and Columbia that you can easily travel for a couple of rounds on other nice courses.

St. Cloud, MN (pop 65K) and only an hour from the Twin Cities. Bowling Green, KY (pop 60K).

Jefferson City, MO

Capitol city has just over 40,000 folks. Club has grown from 36 folks to 100 in just a year. Work on the Joseph C. Miller course has all of the reviews outdated and it's easily a top 10 course in the state. 2nd course going in now will be championship quality and we played the front 9 on New Years Day with temp baskets. It's going to be a beast! Every hole has a view of Binder Lake as well.

Then just about 5 miles out of town, a new course is going in that will better than both of these. We began cutting in the first hole on Saturday. Give us about 8 weeks and we'll have another playable 9. Hopefully 3 18-hole courses will be in before the October Jefferson City Open.

If you wanna travel just 30 minutes north, Columbia, MO has 3 courses with one rated very high, Fulton, MO has a nice layout. Less than an hour south is Dragon Ridge... a course that is not for the faint of heart. It's quickly becoming a local favorite and getting buzz around the state. It's bigger cousin, Dragon Cove at Osage Beach would be in by now if not for a terrible flood. FEMA won't let us get back to work there, but we did play 9 holes of epic Maple Hills style golf before we were shut down. Hopefully the dam gets fixed soon and we can resume work on this monster.

Basically we got a lot of good things going on in this smallish community. Local governments and park boards are really excited and we have nice core of hard workers willing to build new courses. We will be a destination for travelers in a couple of years.

In iowa the waterloo/cf area, cedar rapids/ ia city area, and des moines. All three area are great with multiple courses that are above average.

This would be my vote, although all of these areas have populations above 50k.

In iowa the waterloo/cf area, cedar rapids/ ia city area, and des moines. All three area are great with multiple courses that are above average.
This would be my vote, although all of these areas have populations above 50k.
Exactly. All above 50k. Even Iowa City, where I currently reside, has 70k plus the U of Iowa.

Some good answers here. Just remember we're talking areas under 50,000.

Crown Point, IN (28K) with the Lemon Lake complex and Valpo nearby or Appling, GA (5K) with the IDGC and Augusta courses nearby.

Morton, il. <17,000 people Northwoods park and another course being built at Westwood park 3 min away. McNaughton(McNasty) 15 min away. Lake Eureka 15 min. Ledgestone Ins. A-tier played at Northwoods and McNasty each September.

I would have to agree with Morristown Tennessee.
Population under 30,000.
At intersection of I-40 and I-81 overlooking Smokey mountains.

Kiwanis Park, rated 3.83, 4867 feet of clean woods needing technical shots.
Rotary Park, rated 3.33, 6540 feet with mix of open and wooded fairways. Also 3 hole practice green.
Cherokee Park, rated 3.55, 7255 feet mostly open with big hills and interesting greens.

All courses were funded by local businesses and governments, and built by the governments. The goal became lets make this small town a disc golf destination. More courses are in the planning stage.

The city hosts local championships, pro shop in park office, and put up over $4K funds for A-tier (TN State Disc Golf Championship, June 7-8, 2014) to show off the city to pro and am tour players. Over 100 non-playing spectators came out for the first round to follow Tick-Tack vs Will: had great TV and print media!

Attachments

• KiwiansDGC.JPG
    KiwiansDGC.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Morristown Rotary.jpg
    Morristown Rotary.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 9
  • cherokee low res.JPG
    cherokee low res.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 10
A bit exaggerated, but there is 2 more that are private that aren't listed. Paulie (owner of Phantom Falls and designer of just about every course in the area) is a busy man with lots of friends!

Pine/Conifer has some amazing courses, and would be awesome to live there...if you are independently wealthy. Not a ton of work in the area, but it's not too far from Denver.

I would cast a vote for Colorado Springs, and not just because I live in Fountain (which is a suburb.) The Springs is big enough to have all the amenities of a big city, but small enough that you don't get lost in a big city life. There are four courses in the Springs, two in the suburbs, and 30 minutes from Jellystone. It's an hour to Denver and all their courses, and about an hour and a half to the Pine and Conifer area. Going south, you are 45 minutes from Pueblo which has two courses. There are plans for a few other courses in the Springs area, and a revised course on Ft. Carson.

There's a great club in town, and of course the Pine/Conifer area has the Foothill Flyers club. In Denver there is Mile High Disc Golf Club, which has tons of members and is very active.

Really anyplace in Colorado is a great place to live. Especially, given the recent law passage, if you enjoy recreational activities other than disc golf.

Granted I don't live in the area, but I have heard from quite a few people who claim to know Paulie well that there are even more than ten. I even heard one person tell me that there are 18 courses in the area. Like I said I don't live there and I don't know for sure. But there is a ton of hidden land around that the average person wouldn't know about, and I'm sure most of them are kept very quiet. Plus every course that is listed are all the best courses I've ever played.

flagstaff az :thmbup:

Seconded. With Thorpe, McPherson, Snowbowl, and NAU, Flagstaff is chock full of courses, and it has always had a 'small town' feel, what with the rail, bars, bricks and all. All the courses in Flag are 3.00 stars plus in my opinion.

St. Cloud, MN (pop 65K) and only an hour from the Twin Cities. Bowling Green, KY (pop 60K).

Shoot! I was just in St. Cloud for a family reunion this past summer. I even brought my Roc just in case I could make the time. Alas it wasn't meant to be. But it is beautiful up there. The natural landscape looks like a Disc golf course(and sometimes a Ball golf course), complete with water hazards, but that may be just me(when I skated everything looked like a ramp). Next year we're congregating in Montana. Forsyth.

Manitowoc, WI (54220)

Silver Creek, Rollin' Ridge, Lower Cato Falls, Winter Park, LTC Cleveland, Jaycee Quarry Park all 3.0 or over within 25 miles, with 3 of them over 4.0. Vollrath falls JUST outside that circle. Nice area, for sure.

And he's not even coming close to the greatness of that area if you drive an hour+ outside of town. So many great courses.

My family is from Ludington, MI....fantastic disc golf and in the summer love that beach...but not somewhere I would want to live....DOW Chemical is pure evil.

I want to see some year round warm weather small towns!

^ i was just about to say that. They have about 5 courses in the general area that are 3.5+ and flip city is only 40ish minute car drive.

Augusta, ME. Under 19k people and around 15 private, pay-2-play course within 25 miles. But 99.99% of courses in Maine are p2p...

Last edited:
My family is from Ludington, MI....fantastic disc golf and in the summer love that beach...but not somewhere I would want to live....DOW Chemical is pure evil.

My mother used to work for DOW in SE Louisiana when I was young, I've heard a few horror stories. I didn't realize they had facilities in Ludington?

But 99.99% of courses in Maine are p2p...

That's not a negative for me. Though I don't have any true p2p courses I play regularly, I have no problem paying for good golf.