• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Enhancing Disc Golf Courses with Wood Chips: Benefits and Insights

ThorArm

I wanted to start a discussion about a topic that I believe can significantly elevate the quality and experience of disc golf courses – the addition of wood chips. Wood chips might seem like a simple addition, but they can bring about numerous benefits that not only enhance gameplay but also improve the overall aesthetic and environmental sustainability of the course.

**1. Traction and Stability: Wood chips provide excellent traction and stability, especially in areas prone to mud and erosion. This means less slipping and sliding on paths and putting areas, which in turn can contribute to improved performance and safety for players of all skill levels. I personally would not recommend wood chips for a tee box but they are beneficial for the tee area.

2. Erosion Control: Wood chips are fantastic at preventing soil erosion, a common issue on many disc golf courses. By providing a protective layer, they help maintain the course's natural terrain while reducing the negative impact of heavy foot traffic. Wood chips protect tree roots, damaged or destroyed roots negatively impacts the tree but also the terrain increasing the effect of erosion.

3. Accessibility: Wood chips can greatly improve accessibility for players with mobility challenges. They create a navigable surface, making it easier for everyone traveling the course, regardless of physical abilities.

4. Aesthetic Appeal: Let's not forget the visual impact. Wood chips can add a touch of natural beauty and sophistication to the course. They blend harmoniously with the surroundings and give the course a polished, well-maintained look.

5. Low Maintenance: Wood chips require less maintenance than grass. This can save time, effort, and resources, allowing course managers to focus on other aspects of course upkeep.

6. Environmental Benefits: Wood chips are a sustainable option. They are often sourced from tree trimming or wood waste, reducing the need for disposal. They decompose over time, enriching the soil naturally, and reducing soil compaction from frequent traffic.

7. Cost-Effective: When compared to other options, like installing artificial turf or extensive landscaping, wood chips can be a cost-effective solution to enhance course conditions.

However, it's important to note that there are considerations to keep in mind. Proper installation, choice of wood chip material, and regular upkeep are crucial to ensure that the benefits are maximized. Moreover, not all areas might be suitable for wood chips due to environmental factors and it is best to consult with your local arborist to create a sustainable approach to course improvements and upkeep.

Tommy Inglis
Hyde Park Disc Golf

Attachments

• IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Cons:
Wood chips can get blown around on windy days.
Wood chips can get knocked around when discs hit them or as players walk on them or do their throwing motion.

I play a course that makes use of wood chips on a couple of holes. One hole had a small amount of wood chips around the basket....I say 'had' because the wind, discs, and people have caused the wood chips to disperse and now there are just wood chips scattered in the area of the basket. Another hole uses wood chips to define 'in bounds' around the basket (it's a peninsula fairway to a semi-island green). The chips got spread out so much by wind, discs, and players that string had to be added to mark the OB line - which defeated the purpose of having the chips define in-bounds.

I think wood chips work best for areas around the basket that are prone to being wet/muddy. But expect to put in extra work raking the wood chips back to where they belong on a fairly frequent basis.

Cons:
Wood chips can get blown around on windy days.
Wood chips can get knocked around when discs hit them or as players walk on them or do their throwing motion.

I play a course that makes use of wood chips on a couple of holes. One hole had a small amount of wood chips around the basket....I say 'had' because the wind, discs, and people have caused the wood chips to disperse and now there are just wood chips scattered in the area of the basket. Another hole uses wood chips to define 'in bounds' around the basket (it's a peninsula fairway to a semi-island green). The chips got spread out so much by wind, discs, and players that string had to be added to mark the OB line - which defeated the purpose of having the chips define in-bounds.

I think wood chips work best for areas around the basket that are prone to being wet/muddy. But expect to put in extra work raking the wood chips back to where they belong on a fairly frequent basis.
They won't move around so much in areas that actually get rain- I would imagine the desert Southwest is not the ideal place to use them.

Woodchips have really improved our course, and I wanted to share the benefits. If you are unable to mow or want to institute a low mow policy they can be part of that design. Adding the chips to the course is a great volunteer activity that you can talk about the benefits while sustaining the trees that are so crucial to the enjoyment of our game.

They won't move around so much in areas that actually get rain- I would imagine the desert Southwest is not the ideal place to use them.
They were added to several places on a hilly course near me, and washed away in heavy rains.

They're not quite maintenance-free -- they have to be replenished periodically. But they do look good when installed, and slow erosion.

But one thought about the grade of chips used. The course near me used some pretty large, ragged chips, probably from the utility companies. I have bad knees, and found them excruciatingly painful to walk on, and came to hate those parts of the course. A finer grade of chips would have been much better.

I wish courses were more proactive with woodchips around trees--especially "signature" trees that define a fairway. Courses deteriorate as their trees die, and I would argue that the constant foot traffic compacting the soil around the trees is doing more damage than the discs hitting them. Keeping woodchips around the the critical root zone of the trees is the best way to prolong their life.

We have a woodchip island at a local course bordered by logs. We were probably better off leaving it grass with openings for the mower to go through. After 8 years, weeds are taking over and they are not easy to kill. Plus, the amount of woodchips needed for a 66ft diameter circle is pretty substantial.