• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEW COURSE! Magic Mountain National DGC in So.VT

Not a bad looking "Power Line" hole. Most that I have played are just wide open wind jobs. They are usually not very scenic.

Not a bad looking "Power Line" hole. Most that I have played are just wide open wind jobs. They are usually not very scenic.

Most definitely. As a bonus, even though it is a "top of the world" shot, it is incredibly hard to lose the disc, unless one doesnt take into account the usual aerodynamics of a thrown disc.

Epic basket placement too....just when you think you've got it close...

Most definitely. As a bonus, even though it is a "top of the world" shot, it is incredibly hard to lose the disc, unless one doesnt take into account the usual aerodynamics of a thrown disc.

Epic basket placement too....just when you think you've got it close...

That is definitely a signature hole, and a feature that much of the B9 was built around.

We also hit both sides of that fairway on 15 this week with brush cutters and a chainsaw to thin out the bushy edge. You can now walk down it and look right into the trees rather than fight your way in and have to check every fern bunch.

Same on 16, we cut out that whole left side and it probably added 20-30 feet to the side of the trail right where everybody's "didn't turn over forehand flex shots" end up. Raspberries and blackberries are gone! Found I think 4 discs within 100' lol

I had a total heartbreaker on 15 last week too... Threw a flat top Roc off the tee and landed about 30-40' above the big rock. My up was PERFECT and went through one of the branchy ironwood's mail slots and right into the birdcage- until it tapped a teeny birch and sent it right back out again, probably 15-20' out and to the right. I saved par but man, I was so close!

We may eventually thin the birdcage a bit more but those birches need to stay protected from snow & ice by other trees or they'll all snap in the winter. We have to do it slowly and very carefully.

15, 16, 17 & 18 are all really cool downhills that require serious attention and touch. I think 15 and 17 are my favorites though, with 17 being the hardest we had to work to make the tee box happen. All those big rocks in the staircase and the giant stumps next to them were all right where the tee is now. Ugh. My back hurts just thinking about it.

Here is 17. Nice view of Bromley mountain and the Red Chair from the tee. It always cracks me up when someone hits the chairlift chairs, as that's pretty close to where a money line is. Epic clang for sure.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65438&stc=1&d=1533038049

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65437&stc=1&d=1533038049

You can't tell from the pics but the basket is on a grassy ridgeline so an approach from the front is a total death putt. Also tee shots that are too high go sailing by. Definitely requires a disciplined touch shot, especially if there's wind out in the open.

Attachments

• AC397E7A-512B-4B99-88C2-CB32751DF7DD.jpg
    AC397E7A-512B-4B99-88C2-CB32751DF7DD.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 53FAEFE7-46BD-4F0D-A971-EAE1A614C79A.jpg
    53FAEFE7-46BD-4F0D-A971-EAE1A614C79A.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 24
You're closish to me. I'm just outside Albany. I have you on the radar to play on our road trip up to watch worlds.

You're closish to me. I'm just outside Albany. I have you on the radar to play on our road trip up to watch worlds.

Stoked to hear that! Let me know when you're planning to come by, I'd be happy to show you around!

Stoked to hear that! Let me know when you're planning to come by, I'd be happy to show you around!

DoWork planning our trip and was wondering is the 11am open time firm? Is it possible to play earlier than that? EDIT: Ok just checked the website says 10am open 5pm close. Is it still possible to play earlier if we pay when finished? 10am may work but earlier would probably be better.

Last edited:
DoWork planning our trip and was wondering is the 11am open time firm? Is it possible to play earlier than that? EDIT: Ok just checked the website says 10am open 5pm close. Is it still possible to play earlier if we pay when finished? 10am may work but earlier would probably be better.

Yeah you are allowed to play when it isn't open. Right now we are just stoked to have people out there so I'm trying to leave the grey area friendly.

Let us know what you think, we'd love to hear some feedback!

Course looks nice in the pics. I would point out the raised tees. I personally don't have much of a run up, but I know several players do and these teeing areas will present a trip hazard.

Course looks nice in the pics. I would point out the raised tees. I personally don't have much of a run up, but I know several players do and these teeing areas will present a trip hazard.

Most are mulched pretty well and the tee frames are ideally flush, but there are definitely a few that are less run up friendly. It can be tough to get a tee box into a hillside effectively.

So we now offer night golf every Friday night (weather permitting of course) and will likely run it Fri/Sat night for weekend of Worlds. Check out some of the cool long exposure shots we got on the first night. Man, WHAT A BLAST! I absolutely love night golf and the response has been overwhelmingly positive!

NIGHTGOLF.jpg

NIGHTGOLF2.jpg

NIGHTGOLF4.jpg

Couple more just because I have no idea when I'll be at my desk again

NIGHTGOLF7.jpg

NIGHTGOLF8.jpg

We stopped by to play this course on our drive up to watch worlds. I really enjoyed the course. The lines were fun. The uphill shots were not too uphill as some can be on a ski slope. The downhill finish to the course 15-18 is an awesome way to conclude the round. I loved the pin position on 15 behind the big rock. The wall on 10 to tighten up the window is great. I may steal that idea to use on a course im designing. Couple small critiques since you were asking for feedback.

Hole 4 is an odd line compared to the tee. There is that branch that seems to be left on purpose but the tee points way left when the shot should anny to the right. it makes a slightly ackward shot. We all threw out into the ski trail and pitched up for pars. Even had a lefty with us and that branch was in the way of him being able to throw a hyzer line.

Hole 8 the pin postion makes the fairway dissapear right before the basket. The last 30-40ft is too luck based on if you make it through or not. I had a good line and put it 10ft away but if I was a couple inches off I could have hit a tree and kicked who know where. I think if you moved this basket just a little shorter there is a good fairway all the way to the basket with a turnover shot.

Hole 9 I understand you made a 9 hole loop and then expanded but the flow is odd here. The tee to 10 is behind 9 and throwing in the opposite direction. So you throw you shot on 9 and have to walk out to the basket and all the way back to tee off on 10. May be too much of an endeavor now since signage is already in place but is it possible to add another hole somewhere in the back 9? This would allow you to have 2 hole 9s 1 for if you are only playing 9 holes the current hole 9 and if you are playing 18 holes you would go from what is 8 now to what is 10 now. The flow would be better and you could add another hole in the back 9 to make an 18 hole loop. (Again this may be too unrealistic at this point as the teesign #s would need to change). The current hole 9 could use just a little polesaw work to raise the ceiling on the corner. To have a shot get to the basket we all threw through the bottom of the branches and hoped we got lucky. I did but missed my 20ft putt (arggg) others in my group got knocked down and came up short but we all throw approximatley the same line.

Only other thing that stood out was a small tree 1/2in in diameter about 5-8 ft left of a basket It was so small I didn't understand the reason to keep it. I don't recall the hole # it was uphill hole with the green on the right side of the ski trail.

Over all I had a blast playing your course. Our 4some shot 61,62,63,64. I was able to beat the others on my card by 1 stroke. 2 of those guys I don't often beat. One guy in my group said it was the best skislope course he's played. He's played Campgaw, Hunter, Bosquet and Oak mountain skislope courses. Great Job on the course!!

We stopped by to play this course on our drive up to watch worlds. I really enjoyed the course. The lines were fun. The uphill shots were not too uphill as some can be on a ski slope. The downhill finish to the course 15-18 is an awesome way to conclude the round. I loved the pin position on 15 behind the big rock. The wall on 10 to tighten up the window is great. I may steal that idea to use on a course im designing. Couple small critiques since you were asking for feedback.

Hole 4 is an odd line compared to the tee. There is that branch that seems to be left on purpose but the tee points way left when the shot should anny to the right. it makes a slightly ackward shot. We all threw out into the ski trail and pitched up for pars. Even had a lefty with us and that branch was in the way of him being able to throw a hyzer line.

Hole 8 the pin postion makes the fairway dissapear right before the basket. The last 30-40ft is too luck based on if you make it through or not. I had a good line and put it 10ft away but if I was a couple inches off I could have hit a tree and kicked who know where. I think if you moved this basket just a little shorter there is a good fairway all the way to the basket with a turnover shot.

Hole 9 I understand you made a 9 hole loop and then expanded but the flow is odd here. The tee to 10 is behind 9 and throwing in the opposite direction. So you throw you shot on 9 and have to walk out to the basket and all the way back to tee off on 10. May be too much of an endeavor now since signage is already in place but is it possible to add another hole somewhere in the back 9? This would allow you to have 2 hole 9s 1 for if you are only playing 9 holes the current hole 9 and if you are playing 18 holes you would go from what is 8 now to what is 10 now. The flow would be better and you could add another hole in the back 9 to make an 18 hole loop. (Again this may be too unrealistic at this point as the teesign #s would need to change). The current hole 9 could use just a little polesaw work to raise the ceiling on the corner. To have a shot get to the basket we all threw through the bottom of the branches and hoped we got lucky. I did but missed my 20ft putt (arggg) others in my group got knocked down and came up short but we all throw approximatley the same line.

Only other thing that stood out was a small tree 1/2in in diameter about 5-8 ft left of a basket It was so small I didn't understand the reason to keep it. I don't recall the hole # it was uphill hole with the green on the right side of the ski trail.

Over all I had a blast playing your course. Our 4some shot 61,62,63,64. I was able to beat the others on my card by 1 stroke. 2 of those guys I don't often beat. One guy in my group said it was the best skislope course he's played. He's played Campgaw, Hunter, Bosquet and Oak mountain skislope courses. Great Job on the course!!

Thank you so much for the feedback and for giving us a shot! We've got a lot of work planned for once we get some time back on the course, and you definitely touched on some key areas we want to address. We are both stuck working on building chairlifts and fixing broken snowmaking systems. As it stands now, I have to *start* working on maintaining the course when my normal day of welding ends, so it's been a struggle to keep it dialed to say the least, and the days are getting shorter all the time.

All those big downhills on the B9 we are planning some big cleanouts on the trail sides- making it much easier to find discs lost to the trees on big throws and windy days. We've already done a basic push out no 15 & 16, but lots more planned for those along with the others. Even on the front 9, holes like 7, 8, 2, 6, 9 & 5 could really use a bit of buffing IMO- but it's hard to do it in a way that's slow enough to be 100% sure it should go away before it does. Overthinning is not something we want, and time is tight.

Hole 4- man I have gotten so much flack for that tree (It's actually not a branch, it's the whole tree with a freakish top) I am honestly thinking of taking it out... But I LOVE it. There is an open wedge in the branches that forces you to either develop a sick sky anny/ turnover or pitch out into the trail as you've described. It's far from impossible but it is definitely a tough shot. I might just have to keep sticking up for that tree though, I love how hard of a par it makes that tee shot, and how influential it has been for me in my development of a sky anny & turnover shots.

8 I know what you mean, and we actually have it back that far behind those big trunks because I keep parking it in the spot you're talking about from the tee (had two drop-in birds last week alone so it isn't safe back farther either). If I moved it there I'd be tarred and feathered as a cheater haha. Yes, it would give it a clear flight line but I've actually hit the band or basket enough times where it is to know it's still possible, just really hard. There's a few young trees that are going to be removed from the fairway on the next cleaning day and that will open up a few lines, but not a ton.

9 will definitely get a cleanout, and possibly be changed significantly for next summer to a downhill dogleg right, not positive yet. Mostly for flow, but also because I keep parking it and it's pissing off my course manager so he's hell bent on changing the layout. I love that perfect backhand hyzer line but it is too tight with all the branches that grew in this year. For me it's either a) park it or b) hit a tree and get stuck pitching out. I like it but a lot of people don't. The path to 10 is likely our worst, and could be changed easily to be less of a down & back up walk with minimal change. All that said though, it's going to change for the better- to what end we are not sure yet.

That last tiny tree you're speaking of HAS to be 4, and yeah that's going away next clean up round along with a few others in that doorway. It got left because it had orange flagging on it when we were cutting out the fairway and it just escaped every cut round somehow. No reason for it to be there whatsoever!

I'm stoked to hear that your crew liked the course! It's only going to get better and there is already talk of doing another 9 hole short course now too. Next year we will be running several tournaments including a Fall Classic and a Battle For 100 (with BCO @ Killington and hopefully Okemo's crew too). Friday night lights glow rounds will continue, and whatever else we can cook up before then.

Thanks again for giving us a shot. let me know when you're headed back up, I'm always down to show the secret locals' routes and beer hiding spots :thmbup:

Also here's a few shots from the weekend

Hole 9
9Sunsets.jpg

Hole 17
17views.jpg

Sweet shot of an owl that actually swooped down on someone's drive yesterday on 13!
13OWL.jpg

15 is just so damn photogenic. Not gonna stop posting pics of it until it's world famous :D

15downhill.jpg

The weather is insanely perfect these days. Nice and cool, and the trees are starting to turn a bit. Next two weeks are going to get progressively prettier!