• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEW COURSE! Magic Mountain National DGC in So.VT

DoWork

Double Eagle Member
I've been meaning to put one of these together for a while to let everyone know what's going on in Southern Central VT here at Magic Mountain Ski Area. I think we've got something truly special here and you guys should be aware of the progress and the overall project goals.

Last season, Tim (our course manager) and I sold the Big Cheese on the idea of a DGC as a way to bolster our summertime rec traffic feeding the lodge bar, as well as add a venue for eventual Pro Circuit events, etc. With our gaze focused on a very high quality course with high levels of cleanliness and clarity, fun layout and that also makes good use of our copious badass terrain we pushed out the Front 9 for last summer and are currently building the back 9 as I type. We are a P2P course, and charge $5 each to play, and we also offer a big assortment of Prodigy discs to use for rentals- also a $5 fee for a 3 discs rental pack in a drawstring backpack. All discs have a custom Magic Logo foil and fwiw are 100% more magical than non-Magic foiled Prodigies in case you need more magic in your bag.

We've essentially spared no expense in selecting details. Prodigy T1 baskets, high quality signage and clear maps/scorecards are standard. Lots of mulch, foot bridges and natural material steps can be found. Weekly full course leaf blowing laps and heavy mowing/weedwacking is also standard. Even our roughs are regularly mowed by our Aebi alpine mower, so lost discs are much less of a concern than other area courses even on our gigantic downhill holes on the B9. We will eventually be installing more beefy tee boxes once we nail down finalized pad locations, but for now the F9 tee pads are basic 2x4 wood frame and surepac as we determine the long term planning, goals and changes desired after playing them dozens upon dozens of times with a critical eye. If you play in the next week or two, please excuse the few that were smashed by snowcats over the winter.

As for the course itself, we have really tried to make the front 9 a good mix of holes that will be a challenge but not so hard as to turn off new players and intermediates. The back 9 will be SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult- more of a hike, longer holes, tougher basket placement, more obstacles and fewer easy options to throw at. Think of the F9 as the family friendly option or quick hour long or so round, and the B9 as the gut check- even those with strong arms and accurate throws will find a true challenge there, I may have cried a couple times playing them already.

I am working with our Marketing department to create a promotional video for the full 18 as well as a hole-by-hole breakdown of the entire course for potential players curious about layout. Both should be available within about 3 weeks to a month max, but we haveto finish layout and tees first. We are hoping to open the full course to the public July 1st. We are also running our league night on Thursdays right now but may need to switch to Saturday just because it takes a long time to play the full 18. Time will tell. We are also running our second annual 9&9 Ball Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon Charity Fundraiser in August, several day cash tourneys and a couple night 3-disc LED Dark Park rounds, which we had an absolute blast doing last summer. We are even trying to create "disc horseshoes" courts outside the bar (basically the same as horseshoes but with two baskets and discs) and a CTP station that you attack from the bar deck (CTP pin will be a practice putting basket during non-shenanigans hours).

We REALLY want to do everything we can think of to create fun outlets and mini attractions on the hill, and to really try to draw some non-disc golfers into the sport just by watching others try it in so many ways so close and in familiar ways like horseshoes. I can't even tell you how many onlookers want to step up and try it when you're throwing CTPs off the bar deck, and that kind of non-immersive activities work wonders to draw people in.

Our first season was good but I am going straight for blood this summer. We are looking to expand in every direction, and if DG catches on here the sky is the limit. We've already discussed possible expansions with the Big Cheese including a lift-served course you'd take our mid mountain chairlift to- and while that would be amazing we need to demonstrate that phase 1 is working before we get anything else approved. If everybody gets behind Magic and it's a success, this is just the beginning of what's possible- and we have VERY strong imaginations FYI. Another advantage to having a large commercial backing is sponsors- We've also already got several beer sponsors lined up to sponsor events, as every event we ran last year was a success. The pop-up bar sponsor station between holes 4 & 5 was a nice touch I've never seen elsewhere. SO IF YOU ARE A TD OR ORGANIZER we would love to talk to you regarding charity events, tourneys, etc. etc etc. Let's work together to create some kick ass events! Our events staff rocks, our sponsors love us and we are just scratching the surface here in terms of what we can do.

So in closing, I'm really excited to see what this season brings. I wanted you all to be more than passively aware that something is happening, and I want to specifically extend a personal invitation to anybody around that is interested, we would love to show you around and moreso hear any feedback you may have about the course. We aren't officially open yet but invite anyone to play the F9 any day- we do play the B9 on league nights (Thursdays) as well if you are curious and would like to weigh in as well (league play is free until the season starts) we'd love to host you.

Thanks for reading and seriously DO NOT HOLD BACK if you have questions, critiques, suggestions or just want to give your thoughts in general. We truly want to become one of the premier mountain courses on the East Coast, and have a truly unique vehicle to do so. Between the advantages in topography, our equipment and staff, our sponsors, the level of funding we could put into building and maintenance and the potential for expansion I think we have a chance to create a truly unique and special venue. Thank you in advance to all who will come and give us a shot this season, we truly appreciate the opportunity to provide this unique course in such a magical locale. We want to be the coolest place you've ever gone and would love your help in making it so. Thanks again for reading and I look forward to chucking some plastic with DGCRers this season!

**I will also be updating this thread as things develop. Pics, news, status updates, tourneys, etc. I will try to keep the news current when I have the time to do so.**

Magic Mt.

I've been meaning to put one of these together for a while to let everyone know what's going on in Southern Central VT here at Magic Mountain Ski Area. I think we've got something truly special here and you guys should be aware of the progress and the overall project goals.

Last season, Tim (our course manager) and I sold the Big Cheese on the idea of a DGC as a way to bolster our summertime rec traffic feeding the lodge bar, as well as add a venue for eventual Pro Circuit events, etc. With our gaze focused on a very high quality course with high levels of cleanliness and clarity, fun layout and that also makes good use of our copious badass terrain we pushed out the Front 9 for last summer and are currently building the back 9 as I type. We are a P2P course, and charge $5 each to play, and we also offer a big assortment of Prodigy discs to use for rentals- also a $5 fee for a 3 discs rental pack in a drawstring backpack. All discs have a custom Magic Logo foil and fwiw are 100% more magical than non-Magic foiled Prodigies in case you need more magic in your bag.

We've essentially spared no expense in selecting details. Prodigy T1 baskets, high quality signage and clear maps/scorecards are standard. Lots of mulch, foot bridges and natural material steps can be found. Weekly full course leaf blowing laps and heavy mowing/weedwacking is also standard. Even our roughs are regularly mowed by our Aebi alpine mower, so lost discs are much less of a concern than other area courses even on our gigantic downhill holes on the B9. We will eventually be installing more beefy tee boxes once we nail down finalized pad locations, but for now the F9 tee pads are basic 2x4 wood frame and surepac as we determine the long term planning, goals and changes desired after playing them dozens upon dozens of times with a critical eye. If you play in the next week or two, please excuse the few that were smashed by snowcats over the winter.

As for the course itself, we have really tried to make the front 9 a good mix of holes that will be a challenge but not so hard as to turn off new players and intermediates. The back 9 will be SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult- more of a hike, longer holes, tougher basket placement, more obstacles and fewer easy options to throw at. Think of the F9 as the family friendly option or quick hour long or so round, and the B9 as the gut check- even those with strong arms and accurate throws will find a true challenge there, I may have cried a couple times playing them already.

I am working with our Marketing department to create a promotional video for the full 18 as well as a hole-by-hole breakdown of the entire course for potential players curious about layout. Both should be available within about 3 weeks to a month max, but we haveto finish layout and tees first. We are hoping to open the full course to the public July 1st. We are also running our league night on Thursdays right now but may need to switch to Saturday just because it takes a long time to play the full 18. Time will tell. We are also running our second annual 9&9 Ball Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon Charity Fundraiser in August, several day cash tourneys and a couple night 3-disc LED Dark Park rounds, which we had an absolute blast doing last summer. We are even trying to create "disc horseshoes" courts outside the bar (basically the same as horseshoes but with two baskets and discs) and a CTP station that you attack from the bar deck (CTP pin will be a practice putting basket during non-shenanigans hours).

We REALLY want to do everything we can think of to create fun outlets and mini attractions on the hill, and to really try to draw some non-disc golfers into the sport just by watching others try it in so many ways so close and in familiar ways like horseshoes. I can't even tell you how many onlookers want to step up and try it when you're throwing CTPs off the bar deck, and that kind of non-immersive activities work wonders to draw people in.

Our first season was good but I am going straight for blood this summer. We are looking to expand in every direction, and if DG catches on here the sky is the limit. We've already discussed possible expansions with the Big Cheese including a lift-served course you'd take our mid mountain chairlift to- and while that would be amazing we need to demonstrate that phase 1 is working before we get anything else approved. If everybody gets behind Magic and it's a success, this is just the beginning of what's possible- and we have VERY strong imaginations FYI. Another advantage to having a large commercial backing is sponsors- We've also already got several beer sponsors lined up to sponsor events, as every event we ran last year was a success. The pop-up bar sponsor station between holes 4 & 5 was a nice touch I've never seen elsewhere. SO IF YOU ARE A TD OR ORGANIZER we would love to talk to you regarding charity events, tourneys, etc. etc etc. Let's work together to create some kick ass events! Our events staff rocks, our sponsors love us and we are just scratching the surface here in terms of what we can do.

So in closing, I'm really excited to see what this season brings. I wanted you all to be more than passively aware that something is happening, and I want to specifically extend a personal invitation to anybody around that is interested, we would love to show you around and moreso hear any feedback you may have about the course. We aren't officially open yet but invite anyone to play the F9 any day- we do play the B9 on league nights (Thursdays) as well if you are curious and would like to weigh in as well (league play is free until the season starts) we'd love to host you.

Thanks for reading and seriously DO NOT HOLD BACK if you have questions, critiques, suggestions or just want to give your thoughts in general. We truly want to become one of the premier mountain courses on the East Coast, and have a truly unique vehicle to do so. Between the advantages in topography, our equipment and staff, our sponsors, the level of funding we could put into building and maintenance and the potential for expansion I think we have a chance to create a truly unique and special venue. Thank you in advance to all who will come and give us a shot this season, we truly appreciate the opportunity to provide this unique course in such a magical locale. We want to be the coolest place you've ever gone and would love your help in making it so. Thanks again for reading and I look forward to chucking some plastic with DGCRers this season!

**I will also be updating this thread as things develop. Pics, news, status updates, tourneys, etc. I will try to keep the news current when I have the time to do so.**

Sounds EPIC! I loved snowboarding Magic as a kid. I can't wait to play the course once all 18

are in the ground. Congrats on all the progress, it looks amazingly well done from pics on the

web. Thanks for all your hard work. Shreddin' in da wintah, DiscN' in da summah! :clap: :)

Sounds EPIC! I loved snowboarding Magic as a kid. I can't wait to play the course once all 18

are in the ground. Congrats on all the progress, it looks amazingly well done from pics on the

web. Thanks for all your hard work. Shreddin' in da wintah, DiscN' in da summah! :clap: :)

Thanks! Been working our asses off in a lot of areas. If I can bang out my paperwork fast enough this am I will try to get some pics up here too. Really looking forward to our full opening!

Here area a few pics to get the juices flowing and to let people know what we're about to unveil. I realize the OP was a bit of a wall of text/messy stream of thought but we are taking a lot on with this project and there is a lot to share.

Also some main bullet points as details have come together:

-Full 18 will be open to the public on 6/30
-Blackline Tavern (lodge B&R) will open Th-Sun for the rest of the summer 6/28
-"Aces" league will also kick off hopefully 6/30 (horseshoes but with baskets)
-Family "Front 9" league is Thursday @5:30pm (also dinner specials Thurs night)
-Adult "Full 18" league is Saturday @2:00pm (also *wing night* in the BLT)
-Monthly cash tourneys
-3 Night tourneys (3 disc, LEDs provided)
-Every league night will have a bar deck CTP
-Progressive league Ace pots

Enough talk, here is some eye candy

The mighty hole 18- a 603' downhill that finishes just above the lodge & bar.
18downhill.jpg
18uphill.jpg

17 is a beautiful plateau downhill with views of the chairlift and Bromley mountain
17downhill.jpg

Hole 15 is also a monster 605' downhill with a very unique "jail island" green
15downhill.jpg
15greenuphill.jpg

Hole 13 is a really cool uphill wooded line with a "death roll from hell" green ( treed area has been cleaned a bunch more since that pic)
13basketplayers.jpg

random smattering of our front 9:

Teebox on 6
6downhill.jpg

Nice putts on 9 @ sunset
9puttsunset.jpg

Nice view look from the fairway on 3 looking down to the basket on 9
3fairwayview.jpg

We want very badly to be on everyone's short list and have been working insane amounts to try and make sure our experience was uniquely Magic. I would appreciate very much peoples' input on any level with how new we are to the overall scene. This summer we are dong it as big as possible and hope to see the community here flourish. Thanks to everyone who chimes in, stops by for a round or will become a regular! Cheers!

Also, here is a link to our facebook page which is the most often updated source of information for fb users:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694933290555431/

I played last year on the front 9 and have been wanting to play it again asap. If the back 9 is anything like the front, it will surely live up to your high standards!

I played last year on the front 9 and have been wanting to play it again asap. If the back 9 is anything like the front, it will surely live up to your high standards!

Thanks! The back 9 is much more burly in every way but similar in feel. I'd love to see some more reviews soon once you do play it!

Before we know this great idea will be similar to what golf courses did in the eighties on the ski slopes to earn non ski money.

You are on the right track. Once the course is signed off on you can get more money for pay and play. Now is the time to differentiate your course from the mostly pitch and play type courses at ski resorts.

Once you do that a big tourney, cash and more exposure for magic will make you guys look like real genius.

Last edited:
The ski hill courses around here are bombers. In fact, they're so big that people don't want to play them too often

Yeah it's definitely a delicate balance, and you can't make everyone happy no matter what. That's specifically why we made the front 9 way more easily enjoyed. The back 9 is for those who want a bigger challenge, and don't mind a bit of a hike. Even then, our longest is just over 600, because our elevation changes are so extreme that any more and you're sending 90% of players into the woods.

Even now we are probably on the huge side and we were trying hard not to go too big while still incorporating specific cool natural features in the course.

Before we know this great idea will be similar to what golf courses did in the eighties on the ski slopes to earn non ski money.

You are on the right track. Once the course is signed off on you can get more money for pay and play. Now is the time to differentiate your course from the mostly pitch and play type courses at ski resorts.

Once you do that a big tourney, cash and more exposure for magic will make you guys look like real genius.

We are definitely going as big as we can with it. I have aspirations in line with what the incredible crew up at Brewster Ridge has accomplished to the north. We have the equipment and the personnel to keep it immaculate, and everyone in the office is playing now and "get it" so that helps haha

It's going to take time but we will get there!

Attachments

• 3DAAE135-B68C-466E-A40D-1CC7C1AA5231.jpg
    3DAAE135-B68C-466E-A40D-1CC7C1AA5231.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 8112D67A-BCA3-40BB-9CE8-D1DAEB279A4A.jpg
    8112D67A-BCA3-40BB-9CE8-D1DAEB279A4A.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 38
  • A5A95E0F-C100-4EA7-91FA-2DA852B4B3FD.jpg
    A5A95E0F-C100-4EA7-91FA-2DA852B4B3FD.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 37
Sorry for being terrible at attaching pics from mobile. No idea how I flipped that.

Had a great night last night. Planned a quick front 9 and it was just so nice out we ended up playing the whole course.

15SunsetTee.jpg

Has anybody on the boards besides DRock and myself played? I'd love to hear some more feedback on design and details if someone has!

Another gorgeous day in the low 70s yesterday. It's pretty incredible the temp change when you get up in the mountains, it was 10-15 degrees cooler than anywhere down in the valley with a nice breeze. We also just put in a few heavy duty benches in a few spots where the walk between holes is a little longer. They look great!

15benchdown.jpg

I also lost one of my favorite destroyers last night, which sucks but at least I have an excuse to buy a couple more. For real though- Why do they always find the raspberry bushes??? Ugh. Hitting those with a brush cutter this week as soon as I can wrangle an hour or two away from the chairlift projects.

Latest posts