• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

General Issues with the financial model of tournament disc golf coverage

I would think a lot of PGA golfers would wear shorts if they were allowed... especially when its stupid hot

I find it a bit funny that you think McBeth is poorly dressed, when he basically set the dress code trends for the sport. Try to go back 5 years and find someone wearing golf pants, it ain't really there.

I don't think anyone is debating that as a whole disc golfers have a terrible style. No matter how you slice it Kohls sheek just looks bad.

By all means, please regale us with your ideal dress code, ProjectRunwayGuy.

021116-blue-steel-faces-lead.jpg

Primary color stretch pants. Tight and trim is technically correct I guess...

It's a relative concept. Compared to the shirtless bros with the craft beers Paul is WAY better dressed than what we normally see. Paul could show up in a kilt and a tuxedo shirt and still be better dressed than most of what I see on a typical DG course.

I would think a lot of PGA golfers would wear shorts if they were allowed... especially when its stupid hot

I've got some Adidas golf pants though that are unbelievably breathable though. Textile technology be crazy.

I've got some Adidas golf pants though that are unbelievably breathable though. Textile technology be crazy.

Yea. It would probly be more of a young guy thing. Nobody wants to see those old pasty white guy legs...;)

...speaking of, I need to get some sun on my pasty white legs, lol.

Climo had it on lock in the 90s. Those tight ankled swishy pants with a tucked in polo was top notch. If you want to see how much disc golf has evolved from a professionalism perspective - go watch the 93 worlds on Youtube. Hilarious stuff.

Climo had it on lock in the 90s. Those tight ankled swishy pants with a tucked in polo was top notch. If you want to see how much disc golf has evolved from a professionalism perspective - go watch the 93 worlds on Youtube. Hilarious stuff.

That's the one with the guy in unitard shorts, right?

So... I just saw this thread. I read the first page and then thought, "Lets see where this convo went..." and I skipped to this page. It went from media sustainability to Paul McBeth fashion. I am sure there is a logical progression between the two, but talk about thread-drift. :)

A few thoughts to get back on track.

1. Patreon is the BEST way to support your favorite channels. But I think that our current teams are not utilizing it to the best of their ability or capability. I support Jomez and CCDG and nothing bothers me more than the end of the month getting 30 messages when they both suddenly submit all their videos to get paid. It feels like an afterthought and "cash grab". Use Patreon as a way to notify your best supporters that videos are available immediately. I have always said that they should be using Patreon as an incentive. SCREW NEXT DAY COVERAGE. Give the people that support you the leg up and give ONLY THEM next day coverage. Everyone else should get it 4 or 5 days later. That will drive up the incentive for people to support them. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen because they are fearful of alienating their base. This is why SmashBoxx is providing the SmashCutts to their audience, commercial free the night of the event, ONLY FOR PATRONS (free). It might only get 20-30 views, but those people are the people that we want to please the MOST.

2. I love that the manufacturers are getting involved and helping out the crews. But they are also holding the entire media back by restricting access to events based on WHO is supporting "rival" crews. I don't think that we are not in a position to turn away free media for our largest events. And if CCDG wants to cover LVC, or Masters Cup, or GBO, or ANY NT of Major at no cost to the event, they should be allowed to. Or IF SmashBoxx wanted to show up on OUR OWN DIME to NTs and Majors, we should be allowed to attend. These are the PDGA's biggest events and restricting media access to them isn't the way we should be approaching this.

3. Paul is dressed just fine. Jees.

1. Patreon is the BEST way to support your favorite channels. But I think that our current teams are not utilizing it to the best of their ability or capability. I support Jomez and CCDG and nothing bothers me more than the end of the month getting 30 messages when they both suddenly submit all their videos to get paid. It feels like an afterthought and "cash grab". Use Patreon as a way to notify your best supporters that videos are available immediately. I have always said that they should be using Patreon as an incentive. SCREW NEXT DAY COVERAGE. Give the people that support you the leg up and give ONLY THEM next day coverage. Everyone else should get it 4 or 5 days later. That will drive up the incentive for people to support them. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen because they are fearful of alienating their base. This is why SmashBoxx is providing the SmashCutts to their audience, commercial free the night of the event, ONLY FOR PATRONS (free). It might only get 20-30 views, but those people are the people that we want to please the MOST.

2. I love that the manufacturers are getting involved and helping out the crews. But they are also holding the entire media back by restricting access to events based on WHO is supporting "rival" crews. I don't think that we are not in a position to turn away free media for our largest events. And if CCDG wants to cover LVC, or Masters Cup, or GBO, or ANY NT of Major at no cost to the event, they should be allowed to. Or IF SmashBoxx wanted to show up on OUR OWN DIME to NTs and Majors, we should be allowed to attend. These are the PDGA's biggest events and restricting media access to them isn't the way we should be approaching this.

3. Paul is dressed just fine. Jees.

I think the bolded is correct. It is a great incentive to become a patron. I don't think the demand is there though. They would alienate a portion of their audience. Some perhaps just passing on watching the coverage at all. Most more than happy to watch the 4-5 day old coverage. Honestly, from my perspective, disc golf coverage is occasionally fun to watch at work, while pounding my keyboard, but I would suffer none from not watching. While I understand this does not make me the key demographic, I think it does represent a very large contingent of watchers. I am not going to pay anything to watch disc golf coverage. Not because I am short of funds, but because it is already free.....and I would rather play.

...2. ... And if CCDG wants to cover LVC, or Masters Cup, or GBO, or ANY NT of Major at no cost to the event, they should be allowed to. Or IF SmashBoxx wanted to show up on OUR OWN DIME to NTs and Majors, we should be allowed to attend. These are the PDGA's biggest events and restricting media access to them isn't the way we should be approaching this.

I disagree with this.

TD's are allowed to restrict media access to an event just like they can restrict vendor access to an event. If the TD does not want CCDG or SmashBoxx to provide media coverage for the event, then you all don't get to cover the event. End of story! No whining allowed.

Smashboxx trying to cover an event without permission is no different than the disc golf vendor that parks down the street from tournament central and sells discs across the street from Hole 14 without permission. Actually, the rogue vendor doesn't even "sell" stuff, he takes "donations" for discs and snacks or water. While that rogue vendor may be very experienced and may be providing something that everyone wants, the TD has every right not to allow that vendor at the event. (Reference: Am Worlds 2007)

A TD does not need any reason to allow or disallow vendors or "media vendors" at an event. It doesn't matter if the TD paid the vendor or the vendor paid the TD or there weren't any other vendors at the event. It doesn't matter if the rogue media vendor was willing to get there on "HIS OWN DIME".

I disagree with this.

TD's are allowed to restrict media access to an event just like they can restrict vendor access to an event. If the TD does not want CCDG or SmashBoxx to provide media coverage for the event, then you all don't get to cover the event. End of story! No whining allowed.

Smashboxx trying to cover an event without permission is no different than the disc golf vendor that parks down the street from tournament central and sells discs across the street from Hole 14 without permission. Actually, the rogue vendor doesn't even "sell" stuff, he takes "donations" for discs and snacks or water. While that rogue vendor may be very experienced and may be providing something that everyone wants, the TD has every right not to allow that vendor at the event. (Reference: Am Worlds 2007)

A TD does not need any reason to allow or disallow vendors or "media vendors" at an event. It doesn't matter if the TD paid the vendor or the vendor paid the TD or there weren't any other vendors at the event. It doesn't matter if the rogue media vendor was willing to get there on "HIS OWN DIME".

That is such a terrible analogy. Like comically bad.

If I go film a chase card, or FPO card that wasn't going to be filmed, we're providing that tournament and its sponsors additional exposure they otherwise wouldn't have gotten. A benefit if you will. Even more than the event getting additional exposure, there's a pretty good chance one of the event sponsor players will get additional exposure as well (say if Paul was on the chase card at LVC for example). That's ~40+ times I'm going to say "Paul going with his (insert Innova disc here)"

What benefit does a rouge disc vendor provide? None, and in fact hurts the event by robbing it of revenue.

What harm was caused be us filming an otherwise uncovered card? None.

To summarize:

Additional coverage = a no cost benefit and no harm

Rouge vendor = no benefit, and harm done

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying your analogy is terrible.