• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seekr Disc Golf YT - storefront in KC

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Today I met one of the Seekr Disc Golf guys, David:

Dynamic Discs just opened a 2nd brick and mortar in Kansas City, and Seekr disc golf (from youtube) is renting space inside the store (not affiliated with DD). They have a net and a bunch of cameras to
1) film your throw and give you video of 5 camera angles for $10
or
2) give you a 45 minute form review and things to work on for $25~$45

I didn't think the prices were bad, however I'm not sold on the content of their channel. They seem to be somewhere between good mechanics (sw22/AceIt) and questionable techniques like "the double move".

I wouldn't give them my money because of all the info and support here. I don't see their operation being sustainable. What do you think?

I remember seeing him teaching essentially the bug squish so I haven't paid attention to them since with the exception of their slowmo footage of Gannon.

I didn't think the prices were bad, however I'm not sold on the content of their channel. They seem to be somewhere between good mechanics (sw22/AceIt) and questionable techniques like "the double move".

I remember seeing him teaching essentially the bug squish so I haven't paid attention to them since with the exception of their slowmo footage of Gannon.

I just typed up a HUGE thing on this talking about Josh cause I got in a large spat with him on youtube comments and people are like "dude he wants to talk to you."

Yeah, he wants to have 1 on 1's with people, I'm trying to get him to have group coaching discussions so he can grow as a coach.
It's the Dunning Kruger effect overall.

What we have going on is this. A boom craze of disc golf coaches. Take my words as best as possible here cause its hard to not be cruel.

There are a ton of people out there, like Josh and this guy who's being referenced, who have all the great intentions in the world when it comes to teaching disc golf, but know absolutely jack **** about disc golf form as a whole. And I mean this in the most sincere way. They are not stupid people, they just are not truly willing to listen to others right now in their journey.

This is what I mean by dunning kruger effect. They are at a point in the knowledge curve where they to themselves are "experts" on the subject and have not reached the point of "holy crap, I really don't know anything yet."

When these guys get to that point, they will become great coaches. But until then, they will continue to miss things, they will teach bad concepts and will continue to not listen to others, even if they say they are.

You can litterally watch this whole journey by their video's and how they teach.
Everyone has a "squish the bug" phase,
Everyone has a "double move" phase.

I never had a squish the bug phase because ... well i knew better from background.

But I did have a double move phase long before slinky came onboard with it, because that's what it seemed like I needed to do. Because we didn't have people out there putting the intellectual power into it like brychanus and a few others of us where were really trying to solidly break down the mechanics to understand WHAT its doing and WHY its doing it.

This is an overall issue in my head as I want all coaches to be able to grow, learn and teach and it not be a "cool kids club."

It shouldn't be about sub counts, or years doing it, we should be able to enable the passion and help open each others minds to more concepts and doing better.

@sheep

This isn't meant as an attack on you, but scrolling through this forum.. i wouldn't call it the dunning Kruger effect, but - many times people come off as "I'm absolutely right on the subject and i will not even consider that i might be wrong to some extend". Open discussions in this forum CAN be like watching kids in kindergarten, it doesn't happens all the time but, it happens. In here, we aren't reliable on making cash. imagine a big brand like slingshot or OT gets checked? it might just ruin their brand and their income and not just people's ego, like it does on here

Do i approve of it? Not really. But money talks.

No harm meant to anyone, i love reading through the topics in here!

I like the concept.

Sadly, I don't know enough about good form and technique myself, to say whether this guy is really "qualified" to teach form and technique.

Assuming they want to/have tge time and ind inclination to do so...

SW or HUB (who doesn't post much here anymore) should do something like this. They seem to have as good a handle on the mechanics of form and technique as anyone I know.

As an added bonus, SW is a personable and fun guy. Had a blast playing glow at Creeping Creek with him and Matt. :)

Last edited:
I like the concept.

Sadly, I don't know enough about good form and technique myself, to say whether this guy is really "qualified" to teach form and technique.

Assuming they want to/have tge time and ind inclination to do so...

SW or HUB (who doesn't post much here anymore) should do something like this. They seem to have as good a handle on the mechanics of form and technique as anyone I know.

As an added bonus, SW is a personable and fun guy. Had a blast playing glow at Creeping Creek with him and Matt. :)

I'm glad you mentioned "qualifications". David said his people have to be certified. I asked about that process and he cleverly, politely dodged the question besides to say there is a 45 day (he may have said a different number) training process. Part of the answer was that they have videos of all the pros. I thought to myself that I also have videos of all the pros (via YouTube). So… it is what it is.

To sheep's point, I was all into studying form and doing all the drills for the first year or more that i played (2020). Then I realized that I need to feel these muscle movements 'in the wild' on the course. I need experience. I can't reliably do the movements I need to execute. SB22 posted that muscle memory vid about the bicycle, and that is very revealing. To quote School of Rock, "those who can't do, teach. And those who can't teach, teach gym." Maybe should be Disc Golf instead of gym, haha.

to me, a 45 minute session for $50 is very reasonable IF it improves your game.

I agree. There are significant levels of improvement that still result in non-ideal mechanics. I throw with guys who have probably never watched a technique video. They can throw 300' with an s-curve Heat or Sword, or flex forehand Grace. Their forms are 'not good' but they can beat me.

@sheep

This isn't meant as an attack on you, but scrolling through this forum.. i wouldn't call it the dunning Kruger effect, but - many times people come off as "I'm absolutely right on the subject and i will not even consider that i might be wrong to some extend". Open discussions in this forum CAN be like watching kids in kindergarten, it doesn't happens all the time but, it happens. In here, we aren't reliable on making cash. imagine a big brand like slingshot or OT gets checked? it might just ruin their brand and their income and not just people's ego, like it does on here

Do i approve of it? Not really. But money talks.

No harm meant to anyone, i love reading through the topics in here!

I, personally, understand the difference between personal attacks and idea attacks.

And that's kind of the whole point of the dunning kruger effect.
Your knowledge on the subject is limited to a point where you think you know all about the subject.

As in the quote you made there, that's the dunning kruger effect.
Though, it's also worth to note that sometimes when people discuss things people mistake "i'm absolutely right and you cannot tell me otherwise" with "this is me stating my opinion on the topic in a strongly worded way because i'm defending my view of the topic, change my mind."

I've had to change my opinion on a few things while studying form for the last 4 years. I've fallen victim to the "I think i know it all" a few times during my journey.

Now I've learned to question everything. Because the overall picture is becoming clearer the more I learn. The point of me sharing it as the dunning kruger is when you try and help these guys that are still learning, they are not interested. They are right, and you need to subscribe to THEIR method, cause.. They talk to sidewinder/seabass privately, and he says this or that.
Or whatever other excuse they want to make mentally on their side.

Its like "yeah, I talk to all those people also, and we dont always agree on things, but we still have open discussions and work through our idea's and learn from each other."

I duno.
I'm personally getting frustrated with a few things in the coaching world at the moment and disc golf. I'm fairly tempted to take a break.

I, personally, understand the difference between personal attacks and idea attacks.

And that's kind of the whole point of the dunning kruger effect.
Your knowledge on the subject is limited to a point where you think you know all about the subject.

As in the quote you made there, that's the dunning kruger effect.
Though, it's also worth to note that sometimes when people discuss things people mistake "i'm absolutely right and you cannot tell me otherwise" with "this is me stating my opinion on the topic in a strongly worded way because i'm defending my view of the topic, change my mind."

I've had to change my opinion on a few things while studying form for the last 4 years. I've fallen victim to the "I think i know it all" a few times during my journey.

Now I've learned to question everything. Because the overall picture is becoming clearer the more I learn. The point of me sharing it as the dunning kruger is when you try and help these guys that are still learning, they are not interested. They are right, and you need to subscribe to THEIR method, cause.. They talk to sidewinder/seabass privately, and he says this or that.
Or whatever other excuse they want to make mentally on their side.

Its like "yeah, I talk to all those people also, and we dont always agree on things, but we still have open discussions and work through our idea's and learn from each other."

I duno.
I'm personally getting frustrated with a few things in the coaching world at the moment and disc golf. I'm fairly tempted to take a break.

The disc golf coaching thing is super interesting to me because it's so blatantly obvious which of them are approaching it from a passion or profit motive. I feel for the new players who want to throw better. With the increase of people playing disc golf, comes the opportunity to exploit their willingness to improve from people who really aren't that passionate about throwing discs.

I'm also not coach shopping or coaching so maybe I'm just jaded by the attempt at some to appear as if their branding or corporate aura they're trying to put on somehow makes the more qualified to offer real world good help with throwing form vs the obviously passionate people. It comes off as very inorganic.

That video is the apex of insufferable disc golf content. What are they even trying to sell me?

I have no idea who Seekr is, but this is Marketing 101.

When you are in the the grocery store and there are dozens of "food X" and one company is offering free samples companies know that a certain percentage of people will buy that product - even if they were not shopping for that food when they walked in.

SeekR is giving a free 3 minute disc golf tip in the hope that people will like what they see and pay for a subscription to their content.

No one talks about this? I can't think of many dg coaches that haven't.

The nice aspect to stringing together words that don't have meaning is there's no need to defend your statement? Very questionable. Perhaps they mean to say explode from the pocket out, which is helpful… word-smithing without a topic sentence is not helpful. Ambiguity disc golf.

I have no idea who Seekr is, but this is Marketing 101.

When you are in the the grocery store and there are dozens of "food X" and one company is offering free samples companies know that a certain percentage of people will buy that product - even if they were not shopping for that food when they walked in.

SeekR is giving a free 3 minute disc golf tip in the hope that people will like what they see and pay for a subscription to their content.

I know it's marketing, I just think it's bad marketing. This video oozes that style that's all too common in the corporate world of having a feedback loop of focus group driven content without enough or any input from the target demographic.

If I'm visiting a trade show or being given a product demonstration at a booth, sure I can withstand the logic of brand recognition and having logos trademarked and promo material everywhere, IF, it's relevant. But we're talking about a video of a disc golf clinic service. I can't take it seriously and they have taken it way too seriously and it shows.

I'd bet 100 dollars in 2 years they will fade into oblivion or tone it down and completely rebrand and sidewinder standing there beer in hand in his basement offering form theory will still be growing in views.

A quick look at their website shows that they help people raise their pdga rating or go pro. Meanwhile they have one low rated pro and two low 900s rated staff.....if what they're selling works, maybe it would help their own ratings.

No one talks about this? I can't think of many dg coaches that haven't.

I had seen some of their videos at the start....but what I got from it is that they are 'click-bait'. "No one will tell you this"...and then they proceed to repeat information they got from somewhere else, or just made up....but it mainly seems to be copied from someone else and they want you to think it is their original idea.

I'm guessing that is what their training of 'instructors' is about....go watch these videos from other people teaching and that's our curriculum.