• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best way to keep score?

Buddymc

A friend and I were playing this week and trying to keep score at the same time. What's the best way to keep a tally of the game? I really don't want to carry a piece of paper. It be handy to have a scorecard that was stiff enough to write on and maybe able to wipe clean after use.

Any ideas?

- Electronic scorecard app on your phone. There are a number of them now.

- Erasable laminated scorecards.

- Birdie beads or some other type of counting beads. A number of guys right here on the forum make them.

- Just keep it in your head. Treat every hole as a Par 3 and give yourself a (-1) when you get a bird, a (+1) when you get a bogey, and just ignore it when you get a par. Then apply your +/- total to 54 at the end (or whatever the number of holes x3 is). Newer players who card more 4's than 3's can use the same method and apply it to 72, etc.

Last edited:
-Treat every hole as a Par 3 and give yourself a (-1) when you get a bird, a (+1) when you get a bogey, and just ignore it when you get a par. Then apply your +/- total to 54 at the end (or whatever the number of holes x3 is). Newer players who card more 4's than 3's can use the same method and apply it to 72, etc.

This is what I do ^^. I have one of those 3x5 spiral notebooks that I use for this. I number 1 - 9 down one column and 10 - 18 down another. I put a zero for pars so I don't lose my place. It's very quick way to add up your score.

I keep a cumulative score over or under par in my head. Then at the end of the round I write down the score for each hole for future comparison.

Yeah, I want to keep up with how well I do at each hole. I can't always keep it straight in my head.

I have carried a very small hand held voice recorder in my pocket, and as I walk to the next tee, I will just add a brief comment on the just competed hole ... score, discs used with any comments on flight, unique thngs about the hole, etc ... takes no time at all as you are walking while talking, and after the round you have a much better recall of what all happened to make the nescessary changes, etc ...

I have a very good memory ... it's just short ...

I used to keep my scores on paper, but have since converted an old, scuffed up, dx Valkyrie into a 'clipboard' with one of the eraseable scorecards from the Discraft Ace Race clipped in it. Fits inside my bag. Been using it for two years now. When I get home, the info goes in the score book here, notes and all. :thmbup:

The answer depends somewhat on whether you want to retain a hole-by-hole score for later purposes, such as figuring your average on each hole, or disputing your opponent's score at the end of the round. I don't, so my common method is:

- - Just keep it in your head. Treat every hole as a Par 3 and give yourself a (-1) when you get a bird, a (+1) when you get a bogey, and just ignore it when you get a par. Then apply your +/- total to 54 at the end (or whatever the number of holes x3 is). Newer players who card more 4's than 3's can use the same method and apply it to 72, etc.

Using both formulas (based on 3, or 4), depending on the course, and how lousy I start out.

I once was given a little keychain clicker device, designed for golf I believe, though I never used it. It couldn't have cost $10. Or you could use one of the pitch count clickers they use in baseball. Again, if you don't need hole-by-hole scores.

Paper, of course, still works, and I also had a pad of generic scorecards with a cardboard cover, which might suit some people.

I meet a 3x5" notebook and a pen in my bag, then transfer to udisc later. I don't even bother with hole numbers or distances as udisc has all that, just mark them all down like so: 3,4,3,3,2 et cetera.

I like udisc for keeping score in a group, just tap + or -. Doesn't take any longer than one person teeing off on the next hole

I only recently started keeping score and have been doing it in my head, but I think I'm going to get a Score Band. Looks like a FitBit but is specifically designed to keep score for golf. The entry level model is only $35 or so.

I used to keep my scores on paper, but have since converted an old, scuffed up, dx Valkyrie into a 'clipboard' with one of the eraseable scorecards from the Discraft Ace Race clipped in it. Fits inside my bag. Been using it for two years now. When I get home, the info goes in the score book here, notes and all. :thmbup:

I've seen Jeff's "score-disc" and think it's a great idea. :thmbup:

I'm carrying paper and pen, i'd also like to record what disc i used also. But that's not that important as keeping an accurate score. IF i had a smart phone that i could put a golf app on I'd use that.

if playing doubles, i just use birdie beads. If playing singles, i'll keep mine (or my entire card if a tournament) using the Easy Scorecard app on my note4... The app really helps check everything at the end of a tournament round when everybody is trying to check their score totals.

I used to use the UDisc app, but then switched phones and have since lost it.

Now I've been using an erasable score card from the Ace Race. Maybe last years?

I'm also interested in a set of birdie beads, as they seem quite useful for an over all score, but at the end of the day I do like having a hole by hole report. I've been making an attempt to use the scorebook here to keep track and monitor improvements, stats, etc.

Small index cards and a pencil/pen. I keep a small stack of them n my bag. Cheap too, get a big stack for a $1.00 at most dollar type stores.

UDisc is the best app out there so that's an option, but you could always assume a par 3 on every course and play +/- based on that in your head. Not sure how that plays out for you, but I'm borderline retarded when it comes to math and it works for me.