• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Way To Measure Distance

I have a 200' thin rope I keep with my practice basket. It's got marks every 5 feet out to 50, then every 25 feet out to 200'. I can only measure distances for shorter approaches and long putts, but it is convenient. I've thought about getting a longer rope, I just already had this one and am too lazy to do all the measuring again.

Why don't you measure out to 200 feet, stick it in the ground, walk back and grab the other end, walk it out to 400 feet, then you know the lengths from 200 to 400.

Several points.

First, the average adult man has a natural walking stride of well under 3 feet. If you're not striding out with a stretched gait, on level ground, you're probably taking less than 3-foot strides. It's easy to deceive yourself about your gait.

Second, not all soccer fields are the same length. A quick check with google confirms this.

Third, making marks on a long string sounds like a good idea, but keep in mind that most string is made out of fiber that stretches under tension. It can be easy to stretch several yards, if not more, out of a 200+' string.

Fourth, you can buy a 300' reel tape at Home Depot for around $30 or $40, and a 400' reel tape from some sporting goods stores for only a little more. They're more affordable than you might realize, and you can't beat them for accuracy.

I found the baseball field I practice throwing at on google maps and measured b/w the two corners i throw from/to and it's right over 300 ft (according to the scale).

Also hopefully i can set up my 10 metre measuring chain. It'll be cool...I'll make it all dramatic like...like when a football official measures for a 1st down haha

I was thinking about getting one of those measuring wheels; I hear they are very accurate. The only problem I can see is that if you throw multiple discs, you would have to walk back to the place you threw from and walk out to each disc one at a time. Has anyone ever used one?

I go to an open field with a 330ft tape measure. I measure it off, and I lay down soccer cones, every 20ft after the 200ft mark. By doing that you can check all you dics just like a Golfer does at a driving range. Make several throws with each disc, and you can get an idea of how far you can throw each disc.

This will also help you to see if you have two discs that fly the same , and you can trim down you bag a bit.

this is hard for me cause once I start throwing I wanna jump on a course n play ... but sounds like a great practice technique

First, the average adult man has a natural walking stride of well under 3 feet. If you're not striding out with a stretched gait, on level ground, you're probably taking less than 3-foot strides. It's easy to deceive yourself about your gait.

Who cares? Sorry to pick on you, but it's irritating that every time someone mentions pacing something off, people jump in to say that's not as accurate as measuring it with a tool.

Me and the other guy in this thread who said we pace out our distance already noted that we know it's not perfectly accurate. What I know is: I was in marching band and I have a consistent gait. I may not know how far my throws are in yards or feet, but I know how many paces they are. If you consistently use paces as your unit of measurement, you can note improvement from week to week. And personally, that's all I care about...seeing how my distance moves from one practice session to the next.

And then, you can make a back of the envelope calculation to feet that is useful off the tee. It may not be useful for measuring epeens, but I can live with that.

Plus if I step off 30 paces and count it at 90 feet but my stride is only 2.5 feet that would only be a 75 foot shot and it sounds far more impressive to tell my buddies I hit a 90 footer.

"Most people overestimate the length of their stride"

I agree. I know that 12 paces for me is right at 33 feet; which comes in handy for knowing whether or not you are inside the circle. That means that my pace is 2.75 feet and I'm 6'2".

I was thinking about getting one of those measuring wheels; I hear they are very accurate. The only problem I can see is that if you throw multiple discs, you would have to walk back to the place you threw from and walk out to each disc one at a time. Has anyone ever used one?

I use a wheel to measure throws when I'm curious about distance. I've also used it to measure from tee box to pin for measurements for this site. The one I have measures in meters though, so I have to do the conversions to get it into feet. It doesn't provide perfect measurements, but are close enough for what I need them for.

I use a wheel to measure throws when I'm curious about distance. I've also used it to measure from tee box to pin for measurements for this site. The one I have measures in meters though, so I have to do the conversions to get it into feet. It doesn't provide perfect measurements, but are close enough for what I need them for.

meters x 3.280 to get feet....im glad I have a wheel that measures feet LOL....that or google earth is easiest way...