• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[BH] Throwing arm dragging too far before brace

tarvo.n

Hi all

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxA8F6UEkw0

I'm trying to eliminate the following throwing hand position from my throw:

UsM9Zil.png

To me it seems that my arm swings too far behind me during the shoulder coil which causes space problems and some wonky grip as seen in the image. On some worse shots the upwards angle of the arm becomes even worse when it drags even further.

Looking for some advice on how to tackle this issue properly. Is it just a matter of delaying the backswing so the arm does not have as much time to move out of place? Maybe I need to reinvent my coil completely so there is no arm dragging at all?

Thanks in advance

Your backswing is way too wide, restricting your upper body from turning back. Trying this:

When going through the x-step, imagine leaving the disc in place in line with your left foot. To leave it in place, you must rotate your shoulders rather than extending the arm out.

Get some looser pants. Seriously, I can see the fabric being pulled taut in legs and hips area as your go into your plant. This can be restricting free movement.

During the throw, the disc looks like it is slipping out a bit when you are pulling to your chest; in the photo above, it looks like the edge of the disc has slipped out of the palm of your hand and your are only holding it by your fingertips. Grip tighter.

Lastly, you are spinning in the throw, leaving your rear arm dangling out wide, which slows your rotation. As SW22 succinctly puts it, "Tuck rear arm elbow to hip".

Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely try to focus more on the backswing. At the moment I'm already focusing on rotating my shoulders and I think that the backswing is a result of trying to be loose (perhaps the result is too loose). I also think that the disc slip happens because I'm compensating for the lack of space for the disc.

The pants are actually stretchy but I can see what you mean, does indeed seem restricting based on video.

Chancho, when you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.
-Nacho Libre

Lots of mens pants these days seem to be made tighter but with more elastic fibers. I have some myself and have thrown in them. They still inhibit movement slightly - some of the your energy of motion has to go into stretching the fibers out. Whether that's a significant inhibition or not...I dunno.

I'll definitely try to focus more on the backswing. At the moment I'm already focusing on rotating my shoulders and I think that the backswing is a result of trying to be loose (perhaps the result is too loose). I also think that the disc slip happens because I'm compensating for the lack of space for the disc.

The pants are actually stretchy but I can see what you mean, does indeed seem restricting based on video.

I can't wait to be back in shorts again.

Definitely want to be loose, but not a limp noodle.

I also am not sure that you're swinging your body in ideally overall. I think your pelvis shoots up toward the ceiling once you start moving off your x-step, which decelerates you and causes some compensation in your swing. You'll get more free momentum if you learn to swing your body in more like this:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3460573&postcount=9

Latest posts