• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

bhadella's bag

Damn you plastic addiction! Got plenty of funny money from my last few tourneys and was able to pickup some backups (Star TL, Star Leopard) and some new toys to the bag (ESP Comet, Z Buzzz-SS). And I'm digging the mids. I might move to a mostly Discraft mids bag (other than the Roc3, works great flexes).

Drivers
Champ Firebird 175g (Way Overstable)
Star Firebird 175g (Overstable)
Champ XCaliber 175g (Stable with Fade)
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)
Prodigy D4 171g (Big Flex Drives, Neutral)

Fairway
Champion Glow Teebird 175g (Overstable)
Star TL 175g (Stable with Fade)
Star TL 175g (Stable, Big S throws)
Star Leopard 175g (Straight, Tunnels)
Star Leopard 175g (Understable, Annys)

Midrange
FLX ESP Drone (Way Overstable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Overstable)
Roc3 180g (Flex Shots)
Z Buzzz 178g (Stable with Fade)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Stable)
ESP Comet 180g (Understable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Understable)

Putters
ESP FLX Zone 174g (Overstable Drive, Approach)
Opto Pure 176g (Straight, Tunnel shots)
KC Pro Aviar 175g (Stable Drive, Approach)
X Link Vibram Ridge 174g (Overstable and floppy, only used for fast greens)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

If you like the discraft mid line up, easiest way to simplify your bag is to go Drone, Z Wasp (replaces both 180g Roc and Roc3), Buzzz, maybe Buzzz SS, and Comet.

I would also ask if you find a big difference between the Zone and Drone. You could in all honestly just use one or the other. The Zone can be pushed out super far and is my preference.

Also what difference are you really finding between the Pure and the KC Aviar?

If you like the discraft mid line up, easiest way to simplify your bag is to go Drone, Z Wasp (replaces both 180g Roc and Roc3), Buzzz, maybe Buzzz SS, and Comet.

I would also ask if you find a big difference between the Zone and Drone. You could in all honestly just use one or the other. The Zone can be pushed out super far and is my preference.

Also what difference are you really finding between the Pure and the KC Aviar?

I get what your saying on the Wasp/Roc3. I've never been too attached to playing any specific companies discs; I have a stack of Roc3s so I doubt I will ever even get around to trying out a Wasp. I still keep my KCs in the bag but they get very limited use. Just that one flippy/turnover KC getting work.

Zone/Drone: The Drone is way longer for me. Like 275-300ft with the Drone vs 225-250ft with a Zone. My ESP Zone is just so overstable that it sucks up the distance. I end up using the Drone much more than the Zone.

Pure/Aviar: My Opto Pure has tons more glide than my KC Aviar. I can comfortably throw the Pure 260ft while my Aviars max out around 225ft before I start throwing so hard that my form comes unglued. In fact; I carry the Aviars for times where I just can't manage powering down the Pures enough. Elon Angry # 3 comes to mind where you need a 175ft putter drive and if it goes long by a few feet; it's OB. I don't trust the Pure, I know I can control the D of the Aviar better.

Time for another monthly update. I've added a new Champion Teebird to my bag; my Glow Teebird is getting to be pretty darn straight now. I also yanked one of my "crutch" KC Rocs out of the bag. At some point I should pull my fresh KC Roc out too leaving only my beat/flippy Roc in the bag.

Drivers
Champ XCaliber 175g (Stable with Fade)
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)
Prodigy D4 171g (Slightly Understable)

Fairway
Champion Teebird 175g (Overstable)
Champion Glow Teebird 175g (Stable with Fade)
Star TL 175g (Slightly Understable wiht Fade)
Star Leopard 175g (Slightly Understable without Fade, Hyzer flip for Straight/Tunnels)
Star Leopard 175g (Very Understable, Annys)

Midrange
FLX ESP Drone (Way Overstable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Overstable)
Roc3 180g (Flex Shots)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Stable)
KC Pro Roc 180g (Very Understable)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Slightly Understable, Tunnel shots)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Pulled the D4 out and replaced with a flippy Destroyer. I can work many more lines with my Pro Destroyer than the D4. Took my overstable KC Roc out of the bag. And I pulled the XCaliber out of the normal bag, it never gets thrown unless into a major headwind on a long drive and we rarely have tons of wind nor big drives around Charlotte.

Drivers
Star Destroyer 172g (Stable with fade)
Prodigy D3 168g (Stable)
Pro Destroyer 171g (Understable)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Slightly Understable wiht Fade)
Star Leopard 175g (Slightly Understable without Fade, Hyzer flip for Straight/Tunnels)

Midrange
Z Drone 180g (Way Overstable)
Roc3 180g (Flex Shots)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Stable)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Slightly Understable, Tunnel shots)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

My buzzz ss hasnt flipped enough to call it a turn over disc... so Id eliminate the straight buzzz if this were my bag. With your D...do you need the D3 for normal play?

My buzzz ss hasnt flipped enough to call it a turn over disc... so Id eliminate the straight buzzz if this were my bag. With your D...do you need the D3 for normal play?

I definitely need to cleanup the mids. I used to keep it simple as a cycling KC Rocs guy until one tree hit during a tourney round turned my straight Roc flippy leaving me in trouble. After that, it's premium midranges for me (other than my turnover disc) that won't cycle out too quickly. Drone is a keeper. Turnover beat Roc is a keeper. I agree that at my power the Buzzz SS is more useful than normal Buzzz. Got one a few months ago and it has pushed the Buzzz out of a lot of duties. It definitely doesn't flip, hold tight lines longer and with a hyzer makes bends that the Buzzz won't (like Idlewild 5 for a lefty). I tend to have more confidence with the Roc3 than the Buzzz on a open shot so sooner or later the Buzzz will leave the bag.

That darn D3 just comes out of my hand perfectly for skippy uphill power lefty hyzers. RL Smith 2 & 15, Idlewild 12, Kilborne 10, Winget 14, Eastway 6, Angry 17. For whatever reason it's just easier to get up to speed for me when compared to my Star Destroyer (which doesn't hold the spike) and hold that line. And until I have one of those gain 30' of power revelations, I cannot get my beefy Teebird all the way to the pin on those.

Last edited:
Another month in the books, cleaned up my putters a bit more. Dropped the KC Aviar out and only put the Ridge in the bag for courses with really treacherous greens. And finally found my hyzerflip tunnel putter, PA4.

Drivers
Star Firebird 175g (Way Overstable, FAF)
Champ Firebird 175g (Overstable, Domey)
400g D3 168g (Stable with fade)
Star Destroyer 172g (Stable)
Pro Destroyer 171g (Understable)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Neutral)

Midrange
Roc3 180g (Flex Shots)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Stable)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Neutral)
400g PA4 (Understable)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

The biggest concern I see is mold minimization.

With drivers, the Wraith, Orc, Beast, and Valk are all in the same distance/speed range approximately. I'd probably pick up an more overstable Champ Wraith, to take the place of the Orc, and then maybe Pro Wraith to take the place of Valk, and the Star you already have if it's worn at all should overlap with the beast. The Katana and Destroyer, you probably get your max distance with, so that's up to you're own discretion. The RR is a solid turnover/roller so it should pair nicely with the wraiths.

With the FW drivers, I think the TL, XS and Leo are all pretty similar lines especially with the plastic chosen in each (maybe the Z XS might be more stable initially depending on age). I'd probably just go with Teebird and Leopard here, and then maybe a Banshee or Trident for something overstable.

For Mids, since you have a couple Rocs, I'd probably just go with Roc cycling to cover everything.

Agreed, you should get a variety of valks and eliminate the orc and beast. You dont throw those sidearm anyway, which is the only reason I would keep the Orc. I throw valk's as far as my star destroyers with a tighter S. I think it would work out like that for you too.

Just added a flippier Valk. Might take the place of my flippy destroyer. I'll always need stable - overstable destroyers for sidearms and head wind throws. but maybe 2-3 instead of 4-5.

Funny you mention flippy stuff, my flippy pro Destroyer has turned into cut-roller flippy after I worked to improve my form (so I actually get it up to speed now which causes it to totally flip even from an extreme hyzer). I think I'm gonna have to pull my D4 out and try it again. None of my Star Destroyers are flippy enough for that slot. Honestly though, there are only a few holes around Charlotte where I want to try to throw a full power, flippy Distance Driver (Kilborne 16, Bradford 8 & 11, Hornets 6).

Another month in the books. Took out my beefier Teebird as I find that I grab my domey Firebird instead for that line. My Pro Destroyer has become too flippy so I yanked it too. Trying out a Star Tern for the flippy Max D driver spot but haven't bagged it yet. I'm still carrying my Champ Roc3 but need to pull it out of the bag; it never gets thrown.

Drivers
Champ Firebird 175g (Overstable, Domey)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Neutral)

Midrange
Roc3 180g (Flex Shots)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Stable)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Neutral)
400g PA4 (Understable)
DX Aviar 175g (Putt)

Buzzzes and Rocs, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!! :) Sorry, had to Ghostbusters that a bit.

Buzzzes and Rocs, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!! :) Sorry, had to Ghostbusters that a bit.

:hfive:

A beat KC Roc for turnovers is a beatiful thang. A hyzerflip Comet for slow/glidey shots. A Z Buzzz SS for straight shots/slight hyzer shots and a Z Buzzz for fade finishes. FLX Drone for overstable duties.

For me, Rocs are good for higher/touch kinda shots. Buzzz is better for low/power shots.

:hfive:

A beat KC Roc for turnovers is a beatiful thang. A hyzerflip Comet for slow/glidey shots. A Z Buzzz SS for straight shots/slight hyzer shots and a Z Buzzz for fade finishes. FLX Drone for overstable duties.

For me, Rocs are good for higher/touch kinda shots. Buzzz is better for low/power shots.

Dude I remember when I used my old 10x Rocs before I got into Comets. The flippyness of those things was unreal. It was pretty much just point and shoot and it would go where I wanted it or it would turnover on me. lol

When I switched to my Comets it was an easy transition.

But man I really liked those Rocs. I still got them,but they are not getting thrown anymore. :D

Final update for the year. Finally ditched my DX P&A and went with Zero Medium Pures. Got my first win in Intermediate with them in my first full round with them. Banged home more putts in that round than ever before. A little change like which putters you use and can create a huge amount of confidence. Pulled the Roc3 out as it was never getting thrown and added the Star Tern to replace my flippy Destroyer. It needs to be beat in more as it doesn't flip hard enough yet.

Drivers
Champ Glow Firebird 175g (Overstable, Domey)
Star Tern 172g (Neutral)

Fairway
Star TL 175g (Neutral)

Midrange
FLX Drone 180g (Way Overstable)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Neutral)

Putters
Opto Pure 176g (Neutral)
400g PA4 (Understable)
Zero Hard Pure 174g (Putt)

We are flying back to the midwest this weekend for Christmas and I had to put together a set of discs for a couple of rounds there. My mini-bag:

Star Destroyer 172g (Stable Distance Driver)
Champ Glow Firebird 175g (Utility)
Star Leopard 175g (Slightly Understable Fairway Driver)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Neutral Midrange)
Opto Pure 176g (Neutral Driving Putter)

The Leopard, Buzzz-SS and Pure all will hold hyzers, anhyzers or straight lines. Destroyer is consistent distance. Firebird works well for overstable forehands, backhands and overhand shots. And the Zero Hard Pure just goes into the chains.

Last edited:
Another month in the books. I dropped the KC Roc (threw it rarely, didn't like the bead) and picked up a 400s M2. Great addition for flex/S lines. I've also found a disc for my straight then fade forehand shots, a C PD. Fast enough that it doesn't flex from my crappy forehand form but not so overstable that is hyzers out early. Might need to do some fieldwork to see how much more distance I get from Speed 12 Drivers (D3, Destroyer, Tern) vs moving down to Speed 10 Drivers (PDs).

Drivers
Champ Glow Firebird 175g (Overstable, Domey)
400g D3 168g (Slightly Overstable)
C PD 175g (Stable with Fade)
Star Destroyer 172g (Stable with Fade)
Star Tern 172g (Neutral)

Fairway
Champion Glow Teebird 175g (Slighly Overstable)
Star TL 175g (Neutral)
Star Leopard 175g (Slightly Understable)
Star Leopard 175g (Understable)

Midrange
FLX Drone 180g (Way Overstable)
400g M2 178g (Slightly Overstable with Fade)
Z Buzzz-SS 180g (Neutral)

Putters
ESP FLX Zone 174g (Overstable)
Opto Pure 176g (Neutral)
400g PA4 (Understable)

not sure how your star turn is super stable. are you hyzer flipping. i throw the star tern and it is understable. however it will come back. just not enough over the anhyzer on it.

not sure how your star turn is super stable. are you hyzer flipping. i throw the star tern and it is understable. however it will come back. just not enough over the anhyzer on it.

I call my Star Tern neutral (at 375' power). It will hold a hyzer or anhyzer line all the way to the ground, which is my definition of neutral. I do release on a slight hyzer for my normal shots and let it flip up.

Latest posts