• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Ups to the Disc Returners

I've returned two discs, I found one about a month ago and left a message for the guy and he still hasn't gotten back to me. Unfortunately, I decided to throw it ONE time last Sunday, and I forgot to pick it up. I caught up to a group and they said a group that passed them found a lost disc, they asked if it was my name and I said no, I haven't lost a disc today. Three holes later, I look in my bag and realize that I left the dudes disc in the middle of the fairway, and the lost disc that group had found, had in fact been lost by me due to forgetting to pick it up. I hope they call the guy, and I will NEVER throw a disc that I've found again until the owner calls me back and tells me to keep it (or they go more than a few weeks without calling, like 3 months). :wall:

It took me losing three discs until I inked mine, don't know why. Since then I've lost two and haven't gotten a call.

I always appreciate the phone calls!!! If it's been replaced by the time they call, I usually let them keep it just for being so cool to actually let me know they found it.

I have an old school z Comet that I found @ 2 yrs ago. Guy's info was just PDGA#. Looked around, did a little digging and found out his contact info. We've pm'd each other a couple times on a local website, and I've sent my addy to him asking him to send me a self addressed mailer so I could him his disc...I still have it in a box in the basement...:confused:

Yeah i always call and check, i have only had 1 guy ask me to ship to him.

Here is my question though, if a name and number is on a disc that you buy off someone, do you still call? I do, and i have only had 1 guy say they lost it, so i sent it to him, and only asked that he pay for shipping. Would it be fair, if i paid a guy on a course $6 for a disc, and if i call the number on the back of that disc, and he wants it back, should i charge him for shipping plus the $6 or just eat the $6?????

Yeah i always call and check, i have only had 1 guy ask me to ship to him.

Here is my question though, if a name and number is on a disc that you buy off someone, do you still call? I do, and i have only had 1 guy say they lost it, so i sent it to him, and only asked that he pay for shipping. Would it be fair, if i paid a guy on a course $6 for a disc, and if i call the number on the back of that disc, and he wants it back, should i charge him for shipping plus the $6 or just eat the $6?????

That is kind of a grey area...
The person that you bought the disc from should have told you that they found it, tried to call the # and return, etc.
As far as someone paying you back, that would depend on the individual and how bad they want the disc back.

I've only ever not returned one disc. I found a guy's flying pig open Katana and called him and left a message to meet up. That night, I was careless and left it on the coffee table thinking I would remember it in the morning. Long story short, my dog got it. I think the guy called back but didn't leave a message, but I can't call him back til I replace it or I'll feel like a dick. On that note, does anyone have any Flying Pig Open Katanas they would sell? It would help me clear my conscience.

Over the years I have probably found hundreds of discs with only 23 of the discs being inked - been able to return 13 of the inked discs. The other ten fall into the categories: disconnected number, made contact but owner didn't want it back or didn't want to expend the energy to get it back, never returned calls/texts. I usually wait a few months then donate them to a school or charity.

My kids and I have lost 19 inked discs over the years - not a single call.

I did receive a call on a DX Leopard that I had donated to charity. The kid it went to must have lost it and the kind soul who found it called me. Asked him to give to somebody in need.

I always call on an inked disc, most of the time we meet at the course and play a round together. Great way to meet new people to throw with.

I have only played for a real cumulative ~6 months, in that time I have already returned about 12 discs. I have personally lost 3 of mine, and my friends have lost 6 of mine. I have never been called.

I lost my favorite champ glow leo in the most redicilous way ever. It was a wide open fair way with really tall grass on the right. I threw and it floated right right right and never hyzered out :(. I got cut up so bad in the tall grass I eventually said screw it.

Big Ups is easily the best man-band to come out of Temecula California

bigups_med.jpg

I've lost a few discs (JK Aviar & Viking) and never was called. I've returned all the inked discs I've found, except for a seasoned DX Roc which the guy told me to keep because he moved to Oregon, and a green phone #less DX Cheetah that said "Hands off *******." I wrote "Mine now, bitch" on it and promptly lost it in some grass. Whoever found it must've chuckled.

I picked up my Roc the other day and found a dyed Star Destroyer directly underneath it. The course was covered in leaves so people were losing discs like crazy. Disc said "Karma" on it and that turned out to be true. He was thrilled to get the disc back saying he's probably lost 20 discs and had 3 returned. We met up, threw a round, and I ended up giving him a barely thrown Star Destroyer I had in the exact same weight because it's too big of a disc for me. He ended up giving me a Ching Tank, Ontario Roc, & Pink Scorpion (which I later smashed to bits on a cold morning -- I loved that big ol' disc while it lasted). He offered to give me a first run Valkyrie but I don't hang discs on walls yet.

Returned a 2008 World Championship Super Roc to a kid who wanted to give me $20 for it's return. I told him to save his money and we may play a round sometime.

The point of all of this is: return discs and good things happen. It feels so much better than the guilt of throwing someone else's disc which they probably loved just as you love your discs. I know I'm preaching to the choir here though.

And to the people who bagged my discs and all of yours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxtxzF5L8VA

How do we get through to these disc thieves?

Last edited:
I call people all the time and they always say they will call back and set up a time to meet, or call when they are in town. But they never call back, odd. I found 8 discs in one day, 6 had numbers, called all of them, and I still have them all.

Gotta bump this thread, cause I'm pretty pumped after this weekend.

I got a call Saturday, someone found my Star XCal that buried itself in the snow the week before. As chance would have it, he happened to find another disc of mine over a year ago. I had my name on it but forgot the number. He still has that one. He's a regular at the course and will get em both back to me when I finally make it out to a league day.

So then Sunday I watched my trusty red-shift river hyzer off deep into the woods. Searched for a good 20 minutes with no luck. Got a text today, someone found and offered to mail it back to me. He's on the way to the post office now.

Where did I get all this good Karma??

Gotta bump this thread, cause I'm pretty pumped after this weekend.

I got a call Saturday, someone found my Star XCal that buried itself in the snow the week before. As chance would have it, he happened to find another disc of mine over a year ago. I had my name on it but forgot the number. He still has that one. He's a regular at the course and will get em both back to me when I finally make it out to a league day.

So then Sunday I watched my trusty red-shift river hyzer off deep into the woods. Searched for a good 20 minutes with no luck. Got a text today, someone found and offered to mail it back to me. He's on the way to the post office now.

Where did I get all this good Karma??

^That's not just good, that is great karma. congratulations man.

I was playing my local course yesterday with my girlfriend and a close friend of ours. It was the first really nice day we have had here in central MI so the course was PACKED, and since we were teaching our friend to play we let a couple groups play through so we didn't hold them up. Anyways, we make it to hole 15 and my phone starts to ring, evidently on hole 10 I either forgot or missed my bag when putting away my BUZZ. A guy on the course found it and called me right there, we met a few mins later and he gave it back.

I picked up my Roc the other day and found a dyed Star Destroyer directly underneath it. The course was covered in leaves so people were losing discs like crazy. Disc said "Karma" on it and that turned out to be true.

I know who's disc you found and was with him when he lost it. That was the most crazy way I ever saw a disc lost - three of us looked around a 20 foot area for 30 minutes. I felt bad for him and gave him a Star Wraith to "try" to replace it, but not the same thing.

Back on topic - always call people, multiple times - sometimes they don't get back to you, but most either appreciate the calls or tell you to keep it. One experience I always enjoyed was finding someone's Diamond (not the ring) at an out of town course. Had name and number on it, called it, no response - so brought it home with us. The person returned the call much later, turns out to be a kid (it was a Diamond) and his favorite disc. After mailing it back, his mom wrote a great thank you note in return saying it was his favorite disc. Anything that helps, and continues, the positive experience for someone playing the sport is worth the $4/5 I spent on shipping it.

I was playing my local course yesterday with my girlfriend and a close friend of ours. It was the first really nice day we have had here in central MI so the course was PACKED, and since we were teaching our friend to play we let a couple groups play through so we didn't hold them up. Anyways, we make it to hole 15 and my phone starts to ring, evidently on hole 10 I either forgot or missed my bag when putting away my BUZZ. A guy on the course found it and called me right there, we met a few mins later and he gave it back.

Same thing happened to me in MI last summer. Lost a disc early on. Then got a call while still on the course.

So I found my FIRST disc yesterday at my Local DG Course, no name or number. A few holes later 2 guys come wandering around and ask if i had found a disc. I said "Ya man right here". No big deal until i notice one of the guys was my childhood best friend that i hadnt seen in over 15 years... Weird.

I have returned quite a few discs. I have only had one call on one of mine and it was from Gregg Hosfeld trying to return and old beat up dx cobra. I thought that was classy of him.

I found 5 discs yesterday while playing 1 round at bradford, it was almost like it was raining discs...4 belonging to the same person and one belonging to Wysocki ...all will be returned to their owners

I just put my first name and pdga number on my discs, I'm not to worried about getting the lost ones back. I had a guy track me down on facebook once to try and return one. I thought that was really cool. The disc was an almost new DD dye Z force and he couldn't belive I didn't want it back. I had given up the search without much effert as I didn't care for the discs, it wasn't as stable as a Force should be.

I don't bother to ink mine - if it's gone - it's gone. Looking through a used thread with heavily inked discs is far more annoying. I'd say 90% of folks don't want your inked disc.