• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest DG Club?

The other major impact on the clubs growth IMO is the robust league schedule driving competitive DG and a lot of the visibility of the club.

We currently have:

Monday - Womens Only League and Glow Random Dubs
Tuesday - Random Dubs and Putting League (seasonal)
Wednesday - PDGA Singles (just starting) and Team Match Play series (seasonal)
Thursday - Handicap Singles
Friday - Open
Saturday - Handicap Singles
Sunday - Handicap Singles, Random Dubs and another Random Dubs

Our next hurdle is rebuilding our weekend PDGA tournament TD base up. The vast majority of our league TDs are players first, TDs second so most are not looking to run bigger weekends events.

Isn't there a Friday Am Dubs (seasonal) on Friday mornings? Just saw the gap in your list and felt like CLT can't NOT have something everyday... ;) I am excited for the new leagues. Now I just need to find an employer that is willing to let me out early everyday to go play.

Also agree with you that we need more TDs. We just had a prominent TD move away from CLT. For as strong as the DG scene is in Charlotte, I feel there is a lack of A-tier and higher annual tourneys.

JyLi from Jyväskylä, Finland, had about 450 members few years ago. The city has only about 140 thousand inhabitants.

Jyväskylä! That's where I'm from :cool:

I'm a Finn living in Charlotte, NC. When I moved to the States 3+ decades ago, I didn't even know disc golf existed... I discovered it in Charlotte shortly after I moved and have been hooked since day 1. I have seen the growth of DG here and in Finland over the years. It has been an amazing transformation. Finland has embraced DG in an amazing way. I always look forward to visiting and bagging (many!!!) new courses.

Also looking forward to running into some Finns at USDGC. I love the confused look I get when I approach and speak Finnish to them :D
Torille!

I'm a Finn living in Charlotte, NC. When I moved to the States 3+ decades ago, I didn't even know disc golf existed... I discovered it in Charlotte shortly after I moved and have been hooked since day 1. I have seen the growth of DG here and in Finland over the years. It has been an amazing transformation. Finland has embraced DG in an amazing way. I always look forward to visiting and bagging (many!!!) new courses.

Also looking forward to running into some Finns at USDGC. I love the confused look I get when I approach and speak Finnish to them :D
Torille!

If you're a Finn who discovered disc golf in the US, are you like...a traitor? :D

(I hope that's not a really offensive thing to say to Finns, totally kidding)

Torille!

If you're Jarkko, I played my first round of DG with you, Budd and Shaggy at Cedar Hills the day or so after hurricane Fran hit Raleigh.

If you're not, then oops.:\

If you're Jarkko, I played my first round of DG with you, Budd and Shaggy at Cedar Hills the day or so after hurricane Fran hit Raleigh.

If you're not, then oops.:\

Ha! Small world. Fran really tore Cedar Hills up. Glad you stuck with DG even if your first experience was a little apocalyptic. Hit me up if you're ever in NC. Would love to get a round or two in & catch up.

If you're a Finn who discovered disc golf in the US, are you like...a traitor? :D

(I hope that's not a really offensive thing to say to Finns, totally kidding)

Heh. No worries. I got a chuckle out of it. I'm not sure there were ANY disc golf courses in Finland back when I moved here...

Met you at last year's USDGC... I'm sure you met about 5000 people that week :) Thanks for everything you do for the DG scene. :thmbup:

Let's get the thread back on track... Charlotte DGC up to 471!

(I played with Jarkko once, too. He was my dubs partner at a shindig out at Torma Town. One of the more enjoyable rounds I've had with a perfect stranger.)

Hi, Jarkko! Hope you've been well, sir.

Heh. No worries. I got a chuckle out of it. I'm not sure there were ANY disc golf courses in Finland back when I moved here...

Met you at last year's USDGC... I'm sure you met about 5000 people that week :) Thanks for everything you do for the DG scene. :thmbup:

I was wondering...in the back of my mind a vague memory sparked when I read your post. Come say hi again this year so I can permanently etch the meeting in my mind! :hfive:

Jah mon! You still playing guitar?

*back on topic*
My local club, Apple Valley is small and young but we have a dedicated group of players and they're damn good people.

**quoted the wrong post

Music City Disc Golf in the Nashville,TN area has about 270 this year, and will most likely finish the year over 300.

They run bag tag monthlies from February to October that rotate to all the various local courses, with a championship held in November. The monthlies got so big last year that they split them up between Pro & Am so that every member could participate each month. No club member is turned away. They also run 2-4 C-Tiers and an A-Tier, Music City Open (Aug 2-4), seen on Central Coast Disc Golf last year and again this year.

The amount of locals, members & non-members, in Nashville is pretty great to see. If a tree falls on the course, they are quick to cut it up and clear it out. Not too mention they are always working on course improvements on the many local courses. They also try and support some of the other neighboring clubs.

May not be the biggest club out there, but sure has to be one of the best.

The first course was built to Meilahti, Helsinki back in 1983.

Latest posts