• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Birdies and Bogeys @ Idlewild/Boone Woods

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
If anyone is gonna be the Cincinnati area this weekend, come on out and get tested by one of the toughest courses around.

http://www.therealdiscndat.com/birdies-and-bogies-2016-tournament.html

PDGA C-tier. This event will be 24 shorts at Idlewild in the morning, and 18 at Boone Woods park in the afternoon.

All Pro Divisions……………………………………………………………………$44
All Amateur Divisions: …....................……………………………………..$29
Includes $2 PDGA Fee, and $2 Ace Fund
$10 Non-PDGA Member fee additional
Check in by 9:15, tee at 9:30 am.

^Oops forgot to put the date on that. Saturday April 30

So far the forecast looks pretty good. Hi 72 mostly cloudy.

Last edited:
Definitely a fun event and a way to see Idlewild & contrast it with Boone. Perfectly named: a total for the day of 132, any way you can get it ('bogies' 4x24=96 & 'birdies' 2x18=36, or more likely something like 84 & 48) would be a decent day for a 900 rated player. Course 'pars' are 86 +54. Hope some bigger talents will come out & show us how to take ten strokes off both those numbers, too! Finally, newcomers: test yourself to stay in double digits for Idlewild 24, and find out how easy Boone seems afterwards. Looking forward to playing & seeing y'all there!

is $29(Includes $2 PDGA Fee, and $2 Ace Fund) with no player pack and no PDGA fee a little steep for a tourney?

Yea, normally I would think so. But his tourneys are usually a bit on the pricey side, and in this case all AM divisions are $29, instead of say $25rec $35int $45adv.

For reference this is an upcoming B-tier event by the same TD:

Pro Open Division……………………………………………………………………$63
All Other Pro Divisions:......................................................................$48
Advanced Divisions: …....................…………………………………….........$43
Intermediate/Recreational Divisions................................................$38

His site doesn't say it has a players pack but both the last two years there was one.

Last edited:
Turns out there was a player pack disc for this event, he just didn't advertise it, lol. Today was a rough day. Not to often you shoot a 98(+10) and still get an 885...

...Playing Idlewild in the rain and wind is not fun...

Though we didn't play by the strict OB rules, it worked out that way for me: every time I wound up in the creek bed (4 times!), I was surrounded by water. On a less rainy day, you could often get away with skipping in there & still be 'dry'.

Maybe Fred & Bob would be happy it wound up I played it the way it was intended...;)

Jeff, that is why we designed it that way. When you have a tournament in which it rains(it has happened a few times before) the creek rises to the edges it makes the entire creek out of bounds. So, if you play strict ob rules at every tournament then you would get a better idea of how much more difficult Idlewild plays than playing relaxed ob. It just takes more work for the TD to define the ob along the creek (when it's a dry).

Thanks Fred! Still love Idlewild, no matter how it's played. Haven't played anything like it (260 courses & counting). It's just satisfying when you finally play a hole right. First time I deuced 2 (short), or yesterday, when I finally reached 'pin high' on 15 on my third throw, are some of my more memorable moments played so far in my 'career'. Oh, and I commented to my card how it was neat when we all managed to playe our tee shots on 11 (my favorite hole in all of disc golf) cleanly through the Y mando!
ps: love the bell! Wish the boneheads would leave the rope intact, but we generally find a stick & ring it, so that works, too.

Latest posts