• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Bit of a Lazy Mark Job by ..."

I'm not above asking someone else right next to the basket if I can borrow a putter for just a second.

... I'd just use another disc, yeah, but I guess if you didn't routinely carry another disc with you...

Most of us carry an entire bag of discs with us. For drop ins like that, I have used a driver to drop in for the putt, so the "not having another disc to putt with" is a bad arguement. Any disc in your bag will work, and a lot easier than figuring out where you'd put your mini to mark it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rules are rules... but let's be realistic...would anyone....ever......make the call in that situation?

After thinking, I do know a guy who would. He's a real winner. Demands the music goes away during "friendly" play, stands over you with a stopwatch & lets you know how much time you burned during your shot, and constantly berates new players over minutia trying to intimidate them or get in their heads. He is the human personification of a cold, wet blanket.

Everyone hates his guts and people avoid him like an Ebola hankie. That is not the persona any of us should be aspiring to be IMO. Glad to see the majority of people here feel the same way.

I'm not above asking someone else right next to the basket if I can borrow a putter for just a second.
Everyone on your card could theoretically deny you from borrowing which would be a monumentally Dick move. Every now and then I'll borrow a player's putter that's already holed out without asking them, just walk up and take their disc out of the basket and drop it back in, and it always gets a "What the hell just happened" look. Like a glitch in the matrix.
Most of us carry an entire bag of discs with us. For drop ins like that, I have used a driver to drop in for the putt, so the "not having another disc to putt with" is a bad arguement. Any disc in your bag will work, and a lot easier than figuring out where you'd put your mini to mark it.

You can theoretically play with one disc and a marker if you want. So if my card mates were complete dicks and wouldn't let me borrow a disc to tap out I'd have to know how to mark this. :\

Everyone

You can theoretically play with one disc and a marker if you want. So if my card mates were complete dicks and wouldn't let me borrow a disc to tap out I'd have to know how to mark this. :\

Good point, well taken.

After thinking, I do know a guy who would. He's a real winner. Demands the music goes away during "friendly" play, stands over you with a stopwatch & lets you know how much time you burned during your shot, and constantly berates new players over minutia trying to intimidate them or get in their heads. He is the human personification of a cold, wet blanket.

Everyone hates his guts and people avoid him like an Ebola hankie. That is not the persona any of us should be aspiring to be IMO. Glad to see the majority of people here feel the same way.
Sure. For casual play or even beer'n'weed league play. But for a touring pro? Play it clean.

..._... must be held to the strictest of standards.
anybody calling this in less than an A tier is an a$$hole... at the top level with cameras rolling, everything to the book.

anybody calling this in less than an A tier is an a$$hole..

I am always bewildered how people can seemingly randomly pick some rules they follow and some rules they dont.

A lot like religion, pick and choose.

Anybody NOT calling any rule violations is part of the problem, not the solution. You are referee whenever you are not throwing and it is your duty as player. It's even written in the definition of Courtesy in the pdga rules.

"812 Courtesy

A player must:

Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs."

So by not calling a rule infraction you are yourself breaking rules. Well done, well done.

I am always bewildered how people can seemingly randomly pick some rules they follow and some rules they dont.

Anybody NOT calling any rule violations is part of the problem, not the solution. You are referee whenever you are not throwing and it is your duty as player. It's even written in the definition of Courtesy in the pdga rules.

"812 Courtesy

A player must:

Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance
and to help find discs."

So by not calling a rule infraction you are yourself breaking rules. Well done, well done.
funny you bring this courtesy rule up that is the most broken rule of all. this rule says every player must watch every throw by the other players on their card. (though it is a bit of a catch 22, cuz how can you watch the thrower and also watch the other players to make sure they are all watching the throw also.) has anyone ever even called this courtesy violation? do you think there is some discretion for calling violations?

Smigles watching his cardmates feet on every shot:

watching-grass-grow-picture-id184092783

It looked like the disc was too close to the pole to mark with a mini. In that case, is there a way to legally put the same disc in? Could you take an unplayable lie mark directly back in that situation?

It looked like the disc was too close to the pole to mark with a mini. In that case, is there a way to legally put the same disc in? Could you take an unplayable lie mark directly back in that situation?

I think there should be a gimme rule.

"If the disc is in contact with the basket, but not considered holed out..." or something like that. You're a lawyer, fancy it up for us. :p

"812 Courtesy

A player must:

Watch the other members of the group throw in order to ensure rules compliance and to help find discs."

By the current rules the rest of the card committed a courtesy violation as they all had turned and walked away not watching the "throw" or mark.

Still wondering why Casey gets lambasted for being Casey and quoting old rules when the wording that would have made this mark clearly an infraction has been removed from the rules.

By the current rules the rest of the card committed a courtesy violation as they all had turned and walked away not watching the "throw" or mark.

Yeah but according to like half of the people in this thread, courtasy violations dont count if they or their buddies do them.

Heck, next time i ll pick which rules to follow too. nobody says that i can't mark a little closer to the basket than i should, right? i like 10 meter putts turning into gimmies. :clap:

You can theoretically play with one disc and a marker if you want. So if my card mates were complete dicks and wouldn't let me borrow a disc to tap out I'd have to know how to mark this.
This is a fun topic. If the thrown disc were an inch away from the pole, then you could easily mark the lie without having to move the thrown disc, by placing a mini marker disc between the thrown disc and the pole, so that it touched the front edge of the thrown disc and leaned on the pole. But if the thrown disc were laying on the playing surface touching the pole, then it would be impossible to mark the lie with a mini marker disc without first moving the thrown disc.

However, in this kind of a situation 810.E.2 might have relevance, as it seems to allow moving the thrown disc if necessary:
A player who intentionally interferes with a disc in any of the following ways receives two penalty throws: [...] Moving or obscuring a thrown disc or marker disc (other than in the process of identification, retrieval, marking, or as allowed by 810.H).
So, according to my interpretation, in this case it would be fine to move the thrown disc back just enough to make room for the mini marker disc. Therefore Locastro did not commit a marking violation. (Does this seem plausible enough?)

Another thing I was wondering about: would it even be legal to make a throw with another player's disc?

Another thing I was wondering about: would it even be legal to make a throw with another player's disc?

Short Answer: Yes.
Longer Answer: Which rule would you be breaking, if you did? Assuming you get permission to borrow the disc, there isn't any, so go right ahead.