• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Black Falls

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
How can this site pretend to have any credibility in rating courses, when it allows a review for one course (Cherry Hill) to be applied to another course (Black Falls) ? It's way beyond bogus.

How can this site pretend to have any credibility in rating courses, when it allows a review for one course (Cherry Hill) to be applied to another course (Black Falls) ? It's way beyond bogus.
You're questioning the credibility... of a website... that focuses on the reviews... of minimally moderated and un-credentialed users.

Have you tried PM'ing Tim, and actually having a dialogue about it? DGCR has always depended on it's userbase for accuracy. If something seems out of whack, it needs to be reported.

It's not like Tim can personally verify the accuracy of everything we dump on the course page... nor does he have a staff to do so. WE are the staff.

Yeah if a review was written under the wrong course and it's obvious then just report it to Tim. I'm sure he could fix it.

It's up to the collective to self-regulate and fact check.

I reported my thoughts to Tim.

Tim,

A suspect review of Black falls came up in the forum today. I spent a good half hour reviewing all the data out there during my lunch break. This review in question of Black Falls, although perhaps looking legit, has substantial legitimacy issues. The owner provides a self-account that the reviewer has misrepresented the conditions or noted that they may have reviewed the wrong course. Another reviewer revised their review a few weeks later with a play date one day after the review in question, and they noted excellent conditions. That's not possible.

There are major conflicts in available details. When presented an anomaly such as this, the review in question should be thrown out. The review is either malicious in an effect to bring the course rating down. Breaking a ground rule, "Do not give an artificially low/high rating to try to influence the overall rating. Please give an honest rating." Or it's reviewing the wrong course with details of their trip confused with another course. The reviewer did post 3 reviews the same day from the same region.

The review should be removed in my opinion.

Best regards,
Mark Blazer - wellsbranch250

How close is Black Falls to Cherry Hill?

Cherry Hill has been closed and baskets pulled since 2013. It was less than a half mile down the road from Black Falls.

I still shake my head in disbelief at that one real negative review of Black Falls. This was the same year someone stole our sign and vandalized the course.

Listen when I say this, black Falls is the most meticulously maintained private disc golf course that I have ever seen and number two is so far behind that you can't even imagine it

Thanks Mando. That is quite the compliment coming from you. The course is looking real good right now. It's a bit wet after a big winter, over 450" of snow. There is still a ton of work to do and improvements to be made on the course.

I apologize again to all of you for that terrible thread I created a few years back after the review in question. My personal attacks and behavior were way out of line.

Cherry Hill has been closed and baskets pulled since 2013. It was less than a half mile down the road from Black Falls.

I still shake my head in disbelief at that one real negative review of Black Falls. This was the same year someone stole our sign and vandalized the course.

Could be worse, one year 2017 or 2018 a drunk driver some how had hist truck run over a tee pad on the city course in Pierre South Dakota and wipe out the post. I do not think the city fixed it but rather the local club as the back 6-10 are going to be pulled for a water treatment facility needed but the city could have found a better spot to put the facility in. The new bridge which we really need as the one we have over Missouri river is over 50 years old will take out 7, maybe 6 and 11 but those could be modified well at least 6 and 11. Never liked 6 as with river on one side and bike path on the other with being as wide a 10 feet though most of it as a tight ace run basket. We had to squish in one basket to have 18 holes the way the city wanted.

Last edited:
Thanks Mando. That is quite the compliment coming from you. The course is looking real good right now. It's a bit wet after a big winter, over 450" of snow. There is still a ton of work to do and improvements to be made on the course.

I apologize again to all of you for that terrible thread I created a few years back after the review in question. My personal attacks and behavior were way out of line.
Well I just want to tell you that the highlight of my disc golf career was playing your course with my son and a growler of Hill Farmstead beer.

DGCR sound check

The first thing that I look at when I log in is the top 25. If Black Falls is not there, I generally move on to MLB.com of FB.

Is anyone not going to Black Falls because it's rating was knocked down to "only 4.55"? Is anyone reading through all those glowing reviews, coming across the one that trashed it, and deciding that all the good reviews must be bogus?

It has 4.5 stars by its name, regardless of that one post and review.

Is anyone not going to Black Falls because it's rating was knocked down to "only 4.55"? Is anyone reading through all those glowing reviews, coming across the one that trashed it, and deciding that all the good reviews must be bogus?

I'm planning to try to play it in August. Been on my radar for a few years now.

The short answer is yes, it is an obstacle to traffic when you get knocked out of the top 25 for no good reason. I'm surprised he hasn't RIPed his course and washed his hands of DGCR.
I know I would.

There can't be that many people criss-crossing the county, playing only Top 25 courses. In my experience, disc golfers seek out the highest-rated courses in the area, and a 4.55 will surely make the cut. Top 10 would be a little different, because it's on the front page, and builds reputation. I don't know how long Black Falls spent in the Top 25, but frankly, I'd never heard of it until now.

The owner has every right to be offended at the slander of his maintenance efforts. He took the admirable high road in reply.

When you open up to the public, you have to face the fact that you're dealing with the public. All of them. Somebody reviewed us on Google saying we "always have great food and quick service", which means they are either nuts, or really like the water coming out of my hose. Nobody has trashed Stoney Hill on DGCR, but they have verbally, one local advanced player saying all of the holes are stupid. But my ego survived, and we've managed well enough without him.

Somebody reviewed us on Google saying we "always have great food and quick service", which means they are either nuts, or really like the water coming out of my hose. Nobody has trashed Stoney Hill on DGCR, but they have verbally, one local advanced player saying all of the holes are stupid. But my ego survived, and we've managed well enough without him.

Classic review line IMO. i look forward to the refreshing blast of mountain hose water when i eventually get out that way.

I trashed my own backyard course in a review. The designer has done just a horrible job keeping the place up and staying on construction schedule. I've wanted to report him, he's nuts.

Latest posts