• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blake's Bag & Your own! ('06 eddition)

Ok... so I've been experimenting trying to find better discs to fill in holes/replace old drivers.

Champion Firebird
Pro Candy TeeBird
2-3 DX Teebirds
3-5 Rocs (choices from 1 Champion Glow, 3 KC, 5 DX)
1-2 Valkyrie (168g CE vs. 175 CE vs. 170 JK)
1 Proline Leopard
1 DX Stingray
1 S Soft Wizard
1 S Medium Wizard

I'm really trying to find a replacement for the Valks... I can get good D with them but I need a 25' wide fairway to outdistance my Teebirds, they seem to have too much fade, maybe I'm used to Teebirds too much, maybe it's technique! Been fiddling with Beasts but they're like Valks flipping alright but fade is sharper. Any suggestions for drivers for max D? I can get a Teebird out to 360' comfortably, cranking one out to 400' but still not comfortable with using this much power unless leeway for error is had. I like the way Flashes fly but I don't want to deal with hoping it's the stability I want when I pick it by color/weight/run/whatever.

Weebl said:
I'm really trying to find a replacement for the Valks... I can get good D with them but I need a 25' wide fairway to outdistance my Teebirds, they seem to have too much fade
How about the Viking? It's supposed to be a Valk with less high-speed turn and less fade.

I'm guessing a Viking is to a Valk what a Teebird-L is to a Teebird.

sleepy

The viking is actually more overstable than the Valk, and the TL is less stable than the TB, so its kinda the opposite. you had the right idea though, it would be straighter for tighter fairways, i think you just mixed up the last part.

I'm also under the impression that Vikings fade more than Valks and resist turn better.

Why not just switch to DX Valks? I'd imagine they would fade less than the CE versions. You could also try DX Vikings. They'll get pretty straight with wear and probably resist turn better than a worn Valk. I also find that the Orion LS is a pretty straight driver with little fade if you really want something newer.

Okay, that's cool. Since I've never thrown them I was going off of Joe's Flight Chart which has the Viking as .5 less HSS and LSS than the Valk. Thanks for the info.

sleepy

vikings fade less than valks under the assumption that neither disc has turned over.

valks often appear to fade less since they turn more.

if you are turned 30 degrees left to right, it greatly reduces the amount of "right to left" fade (it's fading forwards) whereas a viking will be less turned with the same throw and thus will result in more visual right to left fade.

vikings do fade a touch earlier than valks, but the geographic distance covered will be less.

I have to throw my valks with ~35 degrees of hyzer to get max D, so I'm not worried about high speed stability as much, it's the low speed fade. I need to experiment with different lines I guess. DX Valks beat in too quickly for my income. Teebirds hold onto stability for a while while valks only need some bending and they're much flippier. Noticably flippier from start to day to end of day (3 rounds in a day). I need to watch to local pros/big arms to see what flight path they get and try to mimick it.

Im going for the smallest arsenal title, it looks like..

169g CFR Wraith - My main gun
170g Pro TL - Goto disc when I need less stability
174g Pro TB 1st run - Super understable, anhyzer
175g Star Wraith - Out of my league
171g Champ Eagle - Just bought, never thrown
???g Champ Class Roc - Used on all mid-approaches, and all putts
145g DX Roc - Just bought, never thrown

The CFR & TL do most of the work, except on hyzer shots I need to pull off.. thats the TB's job. I used a Panther religiously for many years and with great success... he's MIA now. =( Adjusting to the Classic Roc is rough on me, but its understability should do what Panther did, and what TB does. I just need the gall to use it in that effect. I bought the Eagle.. I guess cause I havnt had one in years, the Roc purely cause its only 145g. The Star Wraith.. maybe one day Ill grow up big enough to handle it. =)

spitfire said:
how would you fill your bag if you had to choose from these disc
pro wraith
star wraith
dx valk newish
dx valk worn in
pro starfire
star starfire
banshee
dx teebird
slipstream

right now i use the wraiths for max distance, valks for long controlled drives, banshee for overhand shots, and starfires fill the overstable spot for me.

i also had a buzz gt,comet and banger gt esp for mid/approach
i use a banger gt for putts

is there anything you would add or take out?

i think i am going to go to 90% dx plastic and reduce my number of molds. how does this setup sound
3 teebirds for low shots and shorter holes
1 slipstream for sweeping anhyzers
1 banshee for wind and thumbers
3 valks for control distance(any other recomendations for this disc)
1 pro wraith
1 dx wraith both for max distance
1 star starfire for wind and hyzer shots
1 buzz pro d
1 buzz gt
1 banger esp
1 banger gt

how does this sound? what would you change

spitfire said:

Sounds good, and seems like you've got all your bases covered. The only overlap I can see might be with the Banshee and Starfire...you sure you need both? Is there not one disc that can fill all overstable/thumber/wind shots? Maybe the Starfire in different weights/plastics might be able to fill the thumber role and you could drop the Banshee.

Again, I don't mean to nitpick, but you did ask. ;) Other than that small detail, it looks nice.

sleepy

Here is my updated bag:

172 X Avenger-Stable Driver
172 Z Avenger-A bit more stable than the X
171 X Tracker-Control Driver
174 X Predator-Very overstable driver, Thumbers
175 Ch Roadrunner-Long turnovers, rollers

177 D Wasp-A little beat, holds a good line
178 Z Wasp-Holds a line in the wind
177 ESP Buzz-Straight, straight, straight!
172 D Drone-OVER stable

175 D Banger GT-Main putter
175 ESP Banger GT-Short ranger driver, backup putter

8 Molds in the bag, a little on the high side. Is the Z Avenger stable enough to take the duties of the Predator? Only time will tell I guess. The ESP buzz will probably go out when the Wasp beats in nicely.

the banshee can't go, it was a gift from my daughter. maybe i will keep the starfire for when the banshee gets to beat for its purpose.

Come on man... forget all the logic... it was a gift from your daughter... leave it in the bag. :wink:

spitfire said:
i think i am going to go to 90% dx plastic and reduce my number of molds. how does this setup sound
3 teebirds for low shots and shorter holes
1 slipstream for sweeping anhyzers
1 banshee for wind and thumbers
3 valks for control distance(any other recomendations for this disc)
1 pro wraith
1 dx wraith both for max distance
1 star starfire for wind and hyzer shots
1 buzz pro d
1 buzz gt
1 banger esp
1 banger gt

Your Teebirds and Banshee will do fine for headwind, so your starfire i see some overlap in. If I'm looking for something that will have a decent fade always in a headwind I'll use my firebird, otherwise my new DX Teebird will handle winds up to 30mph just fine. You could cut down the Valks to 2 or 1 with little impact on your game. Also, you could cut down to 1 wraith assuming one isn't a light one for tail winds and a heavier for light headwinds.

I would say the wraith overlaps the valks a touch, but the slipstream could easily be replaced w/ a beat valk or wraith. I can see having the starfire and banshee, banshees are more overstable and better for knife hyzers and trick shots while the starfire is better for distance into the wind.

Any suggestions on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Drivers:
175g Star Valk
172g Star Wraith
169g Pro Starfire
168g DX Banshee

Mid Range
169g Champion Spider
148g Discraft Hawk
168g Wasp

Putter
172g Wizard

nerojr said:
175g Star Valk
172g Star Wraith
169g Pro Starfire

What do you use all these for? because I see them all as max D, although the star wraith is pretty stable for most armspeeds, the valk and starfire are both a bit high speed understable.

I have been spending a lot of time updating my bag and trying to decide what are most important out of all the discs I own. The most difficult part is getting to just a small number of molds and leaving all the other cool plastic at home.
Throwing Side Arm I can almost always hit 295-325. Backhand I am usually 270-320
Here is what I have in my bag right now. Comments would be appreciated.

Side Arm Driver:
Star Aviar 163
Star TeeRex 169
Pro Wraith 172
Avenger 168
Star SL 175
Star Firebird 175

Back Hand Drivers:
Champ Beast 169
Star Valkerie 169
Star Valkerie 150
Champ Sidewinder 166