• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blind holes and etiquette

when it comes to safety, take an extra minute to make sure the hole is clear...better than hurting an innocent person

Few days ago on hole 18 at bear cave park, a 90 degree turn to the left. We were putting out right next to the basket and all the sudden a disc came and hit the basket. We kept yelling not clear, but they threw one more. I guess they didin't hear us. It was a incredible shot though.

I play with my pet hawk. I have him fly up and check if people are up ahead before I throw. When he returns and perches on my shoulder one squawk means clear and three squawks means wait a minute.

Few days ago on hole 18 at bear cave park, a 90 degree turn to the left. We were putting out right next to the basket and all the sudden a disc came and hit the basket. We kept yelling not clear, but they threw one more. I guess they didin't hear us. It was a incredible shot though.

If that happened to me, I promise you that the disc would not have been in the basket when said group arrived...it would have been within sight, but not in the basket. If they said something, I simply would have told them they heard me putting in my putt and that they should make sure holes are clear in the future.

If that happened to me, I promise you that the disc would not have been in the basket when said group arrived...it would have been within sight, but not in the basket. If they said something, I simply would have told them they heard me putting in my putt and that they should make sure holes are clear in the future.

We did throw the discs somewhere into the woods, I don't see how they didn't hear us screaming not clear.

I count the cars in the parking lot first. If all I count is one, I throw and talk to myself occaionally. If I count more, I check to see if I'm with people I know, If this is not the case, I take a glance.

I haven't ran into that problem yet, I've only played 9 courses though. There are only a few blind holes I've played and you can see the next tee pad after them. I do like when we have a group and someone can spot on those holes, for off target discs. I think if that came up more where I played I would make sure we spotted and hope for the same in return. The "all clear" hollar from a group behind
you (especially if they know your right ahead of them) might be a bit annoying if your in the middle of a putt. Better to call back to them instead of the other way around, run up there if your the back group

Here is a side question. What do you do when there are people that are on the hole and even after you yell at them from the tee box they just turn and face the other way? I ended up skipping the hole and coming back to it :|.

I play with my pet hawk. I have him fly up and check if people are up ahead before I throw. When he returns and perches on my shoulder one squawk means clear and three squawks means wait a minute.

:hfive:

Do you also have a trained deaf leopard? :|

Here is a side question. What do you do when there are people that are on the hole and even after you yell at them from the tee box they just turn and face the other way? I ended up skipping the hole and coming back to it :|.

release-the-kraken-granny-500js031710.jpg

With all the talk of getting thrown on, I am wondering how most people handle blind holes.
When teeing off, do you yell and ask if "all's clear?"
If playing in a group, do you have someone go to the "blind spot" to make sure you're not throwing on anybody and to spot discs to reduce the time it take to find all the discs?
Do you yell "clear" when you finish the hole and "not clear" when someone throws up on you without seeing you there?

All of the above.

Damn that is the best thing I've heard in a while.. Awesome

I have played several courses with Bells hung where there is a blind spot. Not a bad idea but not always followed. I would check to make sure.

1. Pay attention to the people playing in front of you and get an idea of how they play
2. If the people in front of you are n00bs and going slow, when you get to the blind hole give them an extra few minutes
3. Yell "clear on hole X?" in your best questioning voice
4. Maybe yell again... they may be n00bs not familiar with this concept
5. Play the hole and get an ace
6. Yell "clear on hole X!" in your best informing voice
7. Smile :)