• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Blister/irriated skin from grip

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
I LOVE throwing putters. Working from home and having a field for a yard, I throw putters nearly every day at lunch for exercise. I also play a short par 3 a few times a week so there are alot of putters being thrown on a weekly basis.

Since winter ended, Ive had blisters and sensitive skin where the bottom of the disc rests and gets released from the hand. I use a fan grip for putters and slower midranges. Discs with more flashing irritates it more.

So i have 2 questions
1. Is there a way to prevent or eliminate this problem. Maybe atheltic tape, KY tape or something
2. Whats a decent way to remove flashing. Ive tried scraping with a utility knife and the results are better but not perfect.

I LOVE throwing putters. Working from home and having a field for a yard, I throw putters nearly every day at lunch for exercise. I also play a short par 3 a few times a week so there are alot of putters being thrown on a weekly basis.

Since winter ended, Ive had blisters and sensitive skin where the bottom of the disc rests and gets released from the hand. I use a fan grip for putters and slower midranges. Discs with more flashing irritates it more.

So i have 2 questions
1. Is there a way to prevent or eliminate this problem. Maybe atheltic tape, KY tape or something
2. Whats a decent way to remove flashing. Ive tried scraping with a utility knife and the results are better but not perfect.

I use paper tape, its in the medical isle.
Its not thick like athletic tape.

Removing flashing.
Acetone and cotton balls.
Friction and some elbow grease.

As well, the more obvious one.
Stop buying crappy discs with flashing on the rim.
So many companies still do this and they are large companies. I've had flashing cut me putting discs on the shelf at the store. Its pathetic.

Athletic tape on the finger if the blister/irritation is there it will help keep it from bursting. If it is a blister I try to train it then tape it. I usually get one on the tip of my index finger when on a long bagging trip where I'm playing 5 or more courses a day and the tape helps keep it from getting worse.

If I find a new disc that has a lot of flashing I just rub it around on a tee pad or hit it with some sandpaper to get rid of the flashing.

Nursing a blister in the crease of my palm at the moment. Did not know I was getting friction there.

I get a blister next to my knuckle between thumb and pointer finger.

I cover it nu skin (liquid bandaid). Make multiple light applications to layer it on and it seems to hold up okay.

I know people use super glue for cuts. Obviously have to be careful when applying it.

Paper Tape. I use it occasionally myself for field work. Best option. You can still feel the disc, but it protects your skin. It's hard to maintain feel of the disc with athletic or medical tape.

As far as flashing, I use those cheap sanding blocks you can pick up from the hardware store. They look like a big rectangular emory board. Probably around 220 grit, maybe a bit finer.

Like someone already mentioned, I've avoided a lot of the newer Innova, Trilogy, and Prodigy plastics because of the flashing.

Paper Tape. I use it occasionally myself for field work. Best option. You can still feel the disc, but it protects your skin. It's hard to maintain feel of the disc with athletic or medical tape.

As far as flashing, I use those cheap sanding blocks you can pick up from the hardware store. They look like a big rectangular emory board. Probably around 220 grit, maybe a bit finer.

Like someone already mentioned, I've avoided a lot of the newer Innova, Trilogy, and Prodigy plastics because of the flashing.

Yeah, I keep a roll in my bag.
IN case i cut my hand, anything, its fantastic and comes off way easier than regular tape with water. So you're not blowing out whatever cut or what not.

And yes, you can still feel the disc which is great. Even with 2 wraps or even 3 sometimes.

wanted to add: feels like flashing has gotten worse across many different brands.
I've tried a bunch of different things to remove (sanding blocks/sponge, razor blades, etc.) The easiest and fastest way that I've found has been a deburring tool (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09376DFYP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). The curved edge really helps get an easy cut that is flush with the rim--something that I found hard to achieve with the razor blade.

There's two options here.

1. I don't throw hard enough/have a odd grip.

2. You guys need to use your silky hands some more in general, lol. Being a floor sander for 10 years does have some benefits apparently.

There's two options here.

1. I don't throw hard enough/have a odd grip.

2. You guys need to use your silky hands some more in general, lol. Being a floor sander for 10 years does have some benefits apparently.

Shrug...the guys I know that have the most hand problems have the most labor intensive jobs. Their calluses cause continued issues throughout the year. Tear in the summer, cracking in the winter.

wanted to add: feels like flashing has gotten worse across many different brands.
I've tried a bunch of different things to remove (sanding blocks/sponge, razor blades, etc.) The easiest and fastest way that I've found has been a deburring tool (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09376DFYP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). The curved edge really helps get an easy cut that is flush with the rim--something that I found hard to achieve with the razor blade.

That looks interesting. Yeah, one of the reasons I've gone mostly MVP over the past year is that they don't have that problem. Even the new L64 Royal stuff at my local shop has flashing, and Innova, Prodigy, and Dynamic have had that problem for at least a couple of years now.

I've tried the exacto blade method, the fingernail scraping, and sanding. Depending on the severity of the problem, I like the sanding sponges. This looks like it might work better and faster for some of the more severe offenders.

Shrug...the guys I know that have the most hand problems have the most labor intensive jobs. Their calluses cause continued issues throughout the year. Tear in the summer, cracking in the winter.

I do have issues too, i get huge blood blisters on my index finger, usually take half a season to get that finger hardened.

I was just kidding around. I don't get how people get those cuts though, i know the flashing can be bad, but I've never experienced it "that" bad.

So i have 2 questions

1. I've found that throwing dirty discs exacerbates the blister causing irritation. Try to keep them clean! I use Working Hands hand lotion regularly, especially in winter, to keep hands from developing cracks.
2. I've found that a sanding sponge works the best. Doesn't take long to sand down the flashing, and the fine grit leaves it nice and polished. A fast and dirty way to get the flashing off is to palm the disc with your hand on the flight plate, and rub the disc on the tee pad in a circular motion. Doesn't leave as nice a feel as the sanding block but it's better than flashing, which should always be removed imho!

If it's a serious issue--like causing someone to miss significant time playing, might want to bite the bullet and find a glove that protects the hand. I wouldn't like it, but seeing NFL quarterbacks throw with a glove tells me that you can get used to it.

Certainly better than missing out on playing due to blisters and such.

Latest posts