• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bloomberg gets it wrong

What part of this is untrue?
Players moving on could be considered to be wrong but at the same time some players have moved on.

I don't think there's necessarily anything untrue about that paragraph when viewed out of context. However, in the context of the article, sports/games that have "expired", it definitely doesn't read the same way. That paragraph is her support for the notion that disc golf, like pedestrianism and jai alai, is a passe sport/game that no one plays anymore. We know that's not true.

Either that, or she's trying to imply that these games/activities were once wildly popular but are now not so popular. But none of those listed, except maybe rollerblading, were ever at such a highly popular level that their current state could be considered non-existent by comparison.

Yes, there are plenty of people who used to disc golf but don't anymore, but I don't think it's the kind of thing where if you mentioned disc golf to a random person, their response would be "people still do that?" It probably would be "what's that?"

After doing some Google "research", it turns out that all of this lady's articles are 100-word fashion articles. Seems like she was just trying to be a REAL journalist. FAIL!

The final sentence wasn't too far off:
"While it was a hit recreationally, it failed to gain spectators, and players eventually moved on."

Suggest the following edits:
"While it is still a hit recreationally, it failed to gain enough spectators, and many aspiring pros eventually moved on to find additional work."

Seems the lack of spectators may have lead the author toward the other assumptions not backed by facts.

Last edited:
The fact that people in our little community get upset about this kind of thing is very telling regarding our status as a legitimate "sport".

None of the sports mentioned are happening in New York City, "the hub of the (Bloomberg) universe", so they must have expired. :rolleyes:

Holy ****, I know the guy in the picture on the article. Pretty sure the pic was taken at an event I ran. The author will be disappointed to find out that he still plays quite a bit.

Unless he had a talk with the author of this article and agreed to have his picture used, they are breaking the law by using a picture of him. I would get in touch with him and see if he can contact Business Weekly to demand the article be either changed or get some sort of compensation.

It's Happy Endings 2.0. Who cares what someone who's never thrown a frisbee thinks about the game?

Future potential sponsors might read or refer to this article as an indication that what we say about the sport growing isn't true.

What I want to know is why shuffleboard wasn't included in that article. :|

Jukeshoe: <---Trying, and failing, to strike up a "friendly" shuffleboard game since 1987.

I'm pretty sure Jai Alai is still a thing also.

Yeah, I bought a six-pack of Jai Alai beer while I was visiting FL last year.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Jai Alai.jpg
    Jai Alai.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 162
Future potential sponsors might read or refer to this article as an indication that what we say about the sport growing isn't true.

At that point, you would have no choice but to break out the facts...steady growth of PDGA memberships, courses, manufacturers, discs, targets, etc.

I also just spent some time searching various criteria on growth, and the article wasn't close to the first page on any of them.

I agree that this is far from flattering, but it's also not as detrimental as it could've been. I would be more worried about them finding articles about Jeff Ash and Nikko's arrests.

That is some bad, bad writing. Websites that rely on a steady stream of new headlines are the worst offenders. No editors, little editing, and no fact checking beyond "Is it done?"

She might have been better to settle on Guts for a frisbee sport that has fallen on hard times. She had to ignore Ultimate all together or the pretext of her (bad) story would have been shot. Her only other article was about fashion; hopefully this sews up her sports-writing career.

Comments are fun to read, nothing like a little piling on for entertainment.

Latest posts