• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Blowfly for Distance (lulz)

Did the Blowfly go Longer or Shorter than your distance Putter?

• The Blowfly went farther than my distance putter.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • The Blowfly went under 20' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • The Blowfly went 21-40' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • The Blowfly went 41-60' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • The Blowfly went more than 60' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
There is an option left off the Poll.

"The Blowfly IS My Only Putter"

That would be me, Carry two of them and no other putters. Been using the same one for three years and can notice no change from the original flight, Not many putters can make that claim!

I couldn't do anything forehand with my friend's blowfly and backhand I had to put some decent hyser on the the release or it would not fly well.

I never really liked the Blowfly but I could drive the crap out of the Powerdrive version. 250 was very obtainable. I'll have to dig the Blowfly out and give it a rip.

You know why they call it a Blowfly, right? Because it blows.

Sorry, had to.

A friend of mine uses one as his main putter and I've witnessed that darned Blowfly actually climb up the side of the basket and drop in on low putts. If I were to hit that same spot with my Yeti it would be on the ground. They do have their advantages.

I was playing a course that just flooded and one hole had water up to the hole, the back half was dry. There were dead fish and some more nastiness in the water. I was ~50ft away and I did not want to leave it short. Hit the front of the basket square on and squeezed through to the chains. It was one of my more memorable putts I have made. Threw a blunt.

Yeah, I'm a noob, so take this for what it's worth, but I am coming to more and more appreciate my Blowfly. It does not roll much, so great for putt and approach on hills. Does not ricochet (further) off the fairway when it hits a tree in heavy woods. Flies straight and glides well. Putting practice today it hit chains in a way another disc would have bounced out, but it grabbed and flipped down into the basket. I am close to making it my regular putter.

Last Thursday I got out the new Blowfly II I got a while back and it works better for distance and almost as well putting.

I use my blowfly only for playing catch. It's a fun disc because you can whip it at somebody full speed with no worries. It acts like any other neutral to slightly under stable putter, and it can be thrown for similar distance. I've seen a few people putt reasonably well with them, but the super floppy plastic has it's advantages, (very globby, will stick to the chains/ground with minimal spitting/rolling) and disadvantages, (very inconsistent, the disc can actually warp during your throw, and a somewhat unusual mold - not very deep for a putter + the rings on top). In my opinion there are a lot of putter molds out there that are better. In the end the blowfly is o.k. for for golf but much better suited for catch.

I use my blowfly only for playing catch. It's a fun disc because you can whip it at somebody full speed with no worries. It acts like any other neutral to slightly under stable putter, and it can be thrown for similar distance. I've seen a few people putt reasonably well with them, but the super floppy plastic has it's advantages, (very globby, will stick to the chains/ground with minimal spitting/rolling) and disadvantages, (very inconsistent, the disc can actually warp during your throw, and a somewhat unusual mold - not very deep for a putter + the rings on top). In my opinion there are a lot of putter molds out there that are better. In the end the blowfly is o.k. for for golf but much better suited for catch.

All of this is why I prefer one of my RFF (really freakin' flexible) Wizards that Gateway just recently ran. Basically covers all of the advantages you listed, but without the disadvantages you listed because the disc is soft and flexible but not crazy floppy like trying to throw a pancake. I use it for approaches and/or putts when I have to stick the landing if I miss.

i sent my blowfly, priority shipping, to mike c this morning. his video should be interesting for two reasons.

• it will just be funny to see just how far the disc warps

• this is becoming an issue. is this disc worthy of the title 'distance putter'?

i started this thread as a joke to flaunt my poor form in which i reached 295' with a blowfly but only 256' with a sss wizard.

as of right now, 38% in the poll claim this as a putter they can throw farthest. that's saying something.

... it's probably saying none of us are throwing our other putters correctly! :clap: i kid i kid

I saw a guy use this, or a gumputt as a roller. Not sure which one it was.

I'll have a ton of bowfly video footage after the DGA "Steady Ed Safari" at Ausable Chasm on Sep 8th. The safari holes are being played in a dramtic sandstone canyon and players can only use the 4 "Steady" Ed Signature discs that come in the players pack. These discs were chosen because regular discs would be bouncing, skipping and rolling off the rocks into the river where the blowfly will flop and sit when it hits rocks and of course floats if it does end up in the river.

More pics and info:

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Steady_Ed_Safari_at_Ausable_Chasm_2012

Attachments

• safari%20tablerock.jpg
    safari%20tablerock.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 32
I spent a long time working on an elaborate video with transitions,text, titles, a bunch of discs and an intro. Rendered it and went to upload it to youtube and it was going to take 5+ hours to upload. Yes, my internet upload speed is as fast as a potato.

I went back in and cut everything out except the Pure throw and the Blowfly and some of the longer pauses. The Pure and the Blowfly both go about the same - there is a ridge, a wizard and a anode laying around at the end of the video that were cut out, as well as, a Rhyno and a Zephyr that both went off camera one left and the other right. I cut off 4.5 hours of upload time.

Blowfly - 169g
Pure - 175g

There is definitely a better feel when the blowfly rips out - almost feels like a rubber band snapping.

Not as much fun as being out on a course, but it worked.

If embedding doesn't work. Here's a link.

Latest posts