• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Blowfly for Distance (lulz)

Did the Blowfly go Longer or Shorter than your distance Putter?

• The Blowfly went farther than my distance putter.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • The Blowfly went under 20' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • The Blowfly went 21-40' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • The Blowfly went 41-60' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • The Blowfly went more than 60' shorter than my distance putter.

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
cool man! hope you can get the longer video posted.

so would you say that the blowfly and pure are your farthest flying putters?

The Blowflys are consistently longer, probably because I can grip them more driver-like with their narrower rim. The Pure and Anode are probably equally second.

I have more video of the Blowfly, but in the field it all looks the same and not a lot of reference points. FWIW - the Pure and Blowfly in that vid are ~295.

I'm going to try again out at a local course later this week or this weekend.

I had a buddy in the 90's that only played with 2 discs. A blowfly and a blowfly. He would roll his blowfly for his driver!!!! He was pretty good at throwing for throwing blowfly's and all...

How did I miss this thread? For the record, besides carrying the same trusty putter since I started playing, I carry a 3xJK Aviar, and occasionally, a DX Aviar. I'll have to try this in an open field sometime ... I never throw the Blowfly outside short approach range.

I had a buddy in the 90's that only played with 2 discs. A blowfly and a blowfly. He would roll his blowfly for his driver!!!! He was pretty good at throwing for throwing blowfly's and all...
I once played a round with a guy that only threw a blowfly and a destroyer. He almost never threw the destroyer. He was amazingly good. Anything under 300' was parked with the blowfly.

I'll have a ton of bowfly video footage after the DGA "Steady Ed Safari" at Ausable Chasm on Sep 8th. The safari holes are being played in a dramtic sandstone canyon and players can only use the 4 "Steady" Ed Signature discs that come in the players pack. These discs were chosen because regular discs would be bouncing, skipping and rolling off the rocks into the river where the blowfly will flop and sit when it hits rocks and of course floats if it does end up in the river.

More pics and info:

http://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Steady_Ed_Safari_at_Ausable_Chasm_2012

The 2nd Annual Steady Ed Safari is coming up in 2 weeks and I had never thrown either of the Blowfly or Gumbputt molds. So I grabbed them from someone who played last year just so I wouldn't go into the tournament completely blind on these discs.

I've been driving them with my index finger out on the rim. Pure power grips just make these things fly way too wonky out of my hand. But with a slow step and clean release, I've been getting low and straight flights between 200'-250'. Pleasantly surprised, actually. My best drive was when I was TRYING to see what a sweeping hyzer would do with the Blowfly II and it turned into a high hyzer flip that hit the 300' mark.

Can't putt worth a damn with them, though, lol.

The Blowfly can actually be thrown pretty far. If you give it enough height it will fly. I can get mine over 300 fairly easy.