• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boycott the USDGC?

DiscChainBasket18

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Steve Rico:
Every one stand your ground for once and dont go to the USDGC this year. Its not a real tournament! Its a handy cap system and no pay out! You top pros better not go. This is not a pro or am thing, this is about the USDGC and why ruin a good thing? This is the one event that makes us feel like we are at a real tournament . I've been there for the last 10 years & I was devastated to hear they took it away from us! We respect the ams! We were all there at one time.

other comments: If the PDGA would get there head out of their a** to realize that Ams don't support the sport, fans do. Who do the fans want to see? The Pro's! They NEED a marketing department. They rake in over a MILLION dollars a year and they can't come up with something. Give me a break. That is the reason I left the sport. The PDGA is a joke!

What do you think of the Handicapping system they are using for this years USDGC?

I'm only 2 hours away from Rock Hill & I look forward to going each year. I'm not sure if I'll go this year!

I've already qualified and registered sooo maybe in 2 years I will boycott...

Even though i'm playing, I don't think its a good idea making the most prestigous tournament easy enough for me, someone playing just over a year to get in. It might gain some more players to the sport, but it also pushes away top pros.

I think the Ams are the fans. How many people do you know that go watch pros play that don't play themselves?

I think the Ams are the fans. How many people do you know that go watch pros play that don't play themselves?

Great point, I've never heard of random spectators showing up for even the biggest tournaments. Also, the ams do support the sport, without plastic payouts to ams most tournaments wouldn't have the ability to support 100%+ cash payout for the pros.

I do think it's pretty silly that they took the most prestigious event and tinkered with it, but that's a different story.

Steve is right on almost everything he said. The USDGC is an amazing Pro tourney that should not have this new handicapped system. The only thing I dis agree with him is that the AM's do make this sport right now. If it wasn't for them there would not be a Pro payout 8/10 times. It is very hard to get sponsorships for a sport that many don't know anything about. I see why the USDGC is doing this but its not worth losing one of the best tourneys of the year because of this. Just make the payout less. They already did that last year. Nikko won 15,000 in 2009 and Will got 12,000 last year. If it is about saving money lower the pay out.

The only reason I don't like the handicap system is that there is no way to make it fair. It will favor the rapidly improving players over people that have been playing at the same level for years. If you are "expected" to shoot a certain score, but for the last month or two you've been working on hitting accurate lines or on your putting, or suddenly found an extra 50ft of distance, you're going to shoot better and get more points. I don't see why any seasoned player, especially a top-level pro who plays most consistent, would ever go.

I'm OK with the idea but I think it should be a different event altogether. It would be kind of fun for Joe Shmoe to be on the final card with Locastro.

If anything it would be a great charity event.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with him. I have been a partner for the USDGC and have given them 100 bucks a year for sponsorship ever since they started the partner program. The USDGC is the 1 event that everyone wants to go to someday and the only 1 you truely have to quailfy for. I think it is cool they are trying to get ams into it, I am one myself, but to put an * next to odd number year winners is dumb. If you win the handicapp USDGC, are you going to go around and flaunt it like you won the real one, come on.

I'm not a fan of the format because I believe the system is flawed. Like someone already mentioned, its set up for the rapidly progressing player. A few bad tourney rounds before the qualifier could set you up for an easier time qualifying compared to more consistent players. Also, I've seen the results and done some number figuring from several of the qualifying events and the system is still geared towards higher rated players. For lower rated players such as myself, there's a higher difference in points per round that you have to shot to just be at your handicap compared to a higher rated player. DGU's handicap is handicapping you inaccurately.

Last edited:
They need to make it a different tournament with a different name. You can't say you're a USDGC winner if you didn't compete under the same system as the guy who won the year before. The PGA has the US Open every year, open to amateur players as well as top pros -- they don't use a handicap system to make it "more fair." They assume that if you're good enough to get into the thing, you're good enough to compete at that level.

This is like deciding that the NCAA wants to promote FCS (formerly division I-AA) football by allowing the winner of the FCS playoffs to play for the national championship against the top BCS team. But to make it fair, they're going to spot the FCS team 21 points and give them the ball first in both halves. It takes away from both teams involved in the game, and nobody is really going to take the winner seriously. (And I say this as a HUGE FCS football fan.)

lol, but Barry is a local now :D.

This is definitely the first time I am going to check the Players List before going. I am really not a fan of the format and honestly don't see the point of it. Guess a crappy USDGC is better than no USDGC.

If I recall the reasoning for almost not having the USDGC was so they could alternative between it and one of the big European tournaments. Which is extremely stupid. How many professional disc golfers that aren't one of the majored sponsored players would be able to make that trip.

That rant in the O.P. is full of holes. The USDGC wasn't taken away from anyone---the people who make it happen are free to change it as they see fit, or quit doing it altogether.

I'm very very very disappointed at their decision, but it's THEIR decision.

Not the PDGA's.

Not the Pros'.

Not mine.

Other than the name, there's absolutely nothing stopping Steve Rico or anyone else for putting on their own USDGC-type event. Who's willing? They guy with the NPC is at least trying.

Nope. PDGA wasn't involved in the decision and now has the pressure to produce an alternative event in the odd years. Rico and other top pros can attend the new PDGA Championship at the IDGC on Sept 23-25. Unlikely the cash will be as big at least this first year but could eventually be built to rival the USDGC at least in payout (since they won't have to buy a bunch of yellow rope and rent carts just for starters;)).

Interesting to read some of the posts. I've volunteered at the USDGC several times in several different positions. Innova advertises to to local folks through radio and print and I have talked with several people each year that came out with no knowledge of the sport and really enjoyed what they saw.

I also think a lot of players that don't play tournaments or leagues would come out to watch.

I run a couple of tournaments a year and I always use the radio stations I run invite people to come out and watch...and we've always had people come to watch the tournament that aren't players. I have that luxury to have a great way to get the word out without it costing me a lot of cash.

I think everyone needs to give this a chance...and see what comes of the event. I'm sure that Innova didn't just decide to do this with thinking about the reaction of the players and supporters of the event.

I've been to ball golf tournaments.. most of the people that are there play golf... yea there are those that have never set foot on a course before just to see tiger woods but more than likely if you are at any golf event you are yourself a casual golfer.

Didn't know they had a new PDGA Championship :D. Always enjoyed the USDGC but have never been a fan of the openness of Winthrop. Though it did work well for spectators.