• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bragging about cubby aces and short hole aces

...unless it's an ace run. with the exception of 2 skip-in aces, I was actually going for chains on the rest of mine. yes a couple were <200ft, but I would argue that there is way more luck involved in a long ace than a shorter one.

Aces are fun, and I seem to recall someone from back in the day saying something about having fun...?

Last edited:
Like my friend told me the other day, an Ace is an easy par gone wrong.

I like this. just bagged my second true ace ever today and wasn't nearly as geeked out as the first. they were both #8's, both discs named for cats. par gone wrong......

Hey when you are in your mid 50s and you only have time to play once a week on average you'll take any kind of ace you can get. :thmbup: Just sayin'.

Ha! Your logic is flawed and you have much to learn. A tournament recently, I encountered a nasty dogleg left. The hole measured 170 feet according to the teesign. But it played more like 100 feet straight out, then maybe 60 feet left at almost a 90 degree angle. And this was a very wooded hole with trees lining BOTH parts of the fairway. I had the back of the box on this particular hole. Everyone before me threw Wasps or Gators or some other OS mid because they saw the distance and of course thought it was a "mid range" hole. Well after seeing their drives, I knew they were all short. So what did I do? Grabbed my Giant, gave it just enough to get around the dog leg and parked it. Moral of the story? Everytime you throw a driver, it doesn't have to be with 100% power. Learn some finesse with higher speed stuff as well. Know your discs and what they can do. If I would have aced a 170 ft hole with a Giant and it was the RIGHT disc for the shot, then guess what? I would have still got an ace.

Absolutely. If you are only using your high speed drivers for long holes you are short changing yourself. If I'm playing a short hole with a sharp dogleg I often reach for a high
speed fairway driver and lob it out there with just enough power to reach the apex of the turn before it starts to fade and burn.

I have few enough that I'll mention my "cubby" ace on a 175' hole. It was way prettier than my only real ace, which was a tomahawk on a way easier 220' hole.

If you ask how many aces I have, I'll still say one though.

Aces are always awesome in my book. I have 5 and remember every one and what disc I threw. Was just as jacked for the first one as I was for the fifth. I don't think there is much luck involved either for the most part. Unless you get some crazy tree bounce or something like that. I don't find it a coincidence that generally the best players I talk to have a bunch of them, some too many to remember. If your really good you generally have a lot more than someone who just goes out there to chuck, because you have either done it before, know the line, and also know how to make that throw. If they want to claim a "short ace" or a "cubby ace" more power to them, ain't going to bother me none. Ace on my brothers and sisters!!

Question: If you are playing weekly doubles and there is an odd number of people, someone plays by themselves and throws 2 shots. If the second shot goes in after seeing how the first one flew, is that an ACE or a CUBBY? IMO, it should count as an ace since both drives are playable. Thoughts?

This happened to me. I was cali at weekly dubs and hit an ace on my 2nd throw from the tee. Won me $172. I count that one. Another time I was playing a solo scoring round, threw a drive, then threw a 2nd shot off the tee with a brand new Sidewinder I wanted to try out. It went in. I call that a cubby ace and don't count it if someone asks me how many aces I have.

I heard a touring pro say this once...... "I consider an ace as an overthrown shot where the basket got in the way."

I dont agree with this idea at all.

Sure, there are aces where the basket saves a disc that would have gone another 100 ft, but the majority of aces I have seen would have been in the circle had the basket vanished at the last second.

picture.php

...unless it's an ace run. with the exception of 2 skip-in aces, I was actually going for chains on the rest of mine. yes a couple were <200ft, but I would argue that there is way more luck involved in a long ace than a shorter one.

Aces are fun, and I seem to recall someone from back in the day saying something about having fun...?

If it's a casual round with nothing at stake its fun as hell to run short holes. Nothing gets me more pumped up than seeing a buddy smash dead center chains. If you spend every casual round worrying about come back putts you're doing it wrong IMO :)

Having never had an ace, I will certainly be happy to get one, be it 100 feet or 300 feet, as long as it's on an actual course and it's my first shot on that hole during an actual round. Ive buzzed the tower several times and hit metal a couple. I fish a lot and still get pretty excited over every fish, even the little ones. I guess my point is, if it's legit, celebrate it, do not be too cool for school over something that's pretty great.

I got my first legit ace today. Playing a recreational round with my friend, keeping score, only throwing one disc off the tee. It was a short hole, 175 feet. But I'm 49 and I've been playing a little under 1.5 years and it was the biggest thrill I've had yet playing disc golf. It was a dead-center, nothing-but-chains, never-a-doubt shot. So much fun. I guess once you've had a bunch, you can afford to get picky about which ones count. But not me. Not yet.

I got my first legit ace today. Playing a recreational round with my friend, keeping score, only throwing one disc off the tee. It was a short hole, 175 feet. But I'm 49 and I've been playing a little under 1.5 years and it was the biggest thrill I've had yet playing disc golf. It was a dead-center, nothing-but-chains, never-a-doubt shot. So much fun. I guess once you've had a bunch, you can afford to get picky about which ones count. But not me. Not yet.

You aced the hole and I'm excited for you :hfive:

Yeah, a buddy of mine ALWAYS tells me when he hits metal, or even when he flashes the basket, like its a badge of honor for him. Its only a 50/50 chance I'll even mention to a DG friend that a got an Ace the day prior. I don't feel the need to tell others about them to make myself feel better, or make me look better in their eyes. I understand new players bragging about Aces because thats a big accomplishment for them, but some guys who have been playing in Advanced and have some years under their belt, touting a near ace to people at league the next day is beyond me...

Ace posts are ruining the disc golf sub Reddit. It might have always sucked tho.

All aces are cool but anything under 200 without some crazy obstacles is just a long putt :D

Latest posts