• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

Those are the ones... and that sure as hell isnt punky color. I am very impressed by the color though. That is super vibrant.

Just reasearched that 1/4th oz of the powder dye will make 30oz of liquid dye.

24ifmj3dN2T2mg2U.jpg

$4 per 1/4oz seemed a bit excessive, but i guess if it makes a mason jar full, it's pretty close to rit/idye.
go for it. and get back to us...

Looks like it should work, but one of the comments said, "If you start with a glossy fitting, it will end up "satin" or "matte."" So it sounds like it isn't that kind on the PVC.

Ya... i saw that. The solvent that is being used is an acetone derivative I believe. They mention using MEK by itself I think. Not sure if it is any less harmful to the PVC than the acetone mix. I will inevitably try both. This is just the first think that I saw to try to use.

I might just use the purple cleaner to begin with. It already has the dye in it.

Last edited:
Just looked.... MEK is found in paint thinner. I doubt that will be less harmful on plastic than the acetone mix. I wonder if I couldnt just use acetone by itself. Surely that would be less harmful than the mix.

Just got the purple PVC stain.... preliminary results-

This stuff is super potent... it visibly ate through part of the underside of a DGA proline disc.
It actually took really well on a white ghost (whatever their more star-like plastic is called)

This only took about 15 seconds to soak in... and then I wiped it off.

I am going to contact the company that makes the dye... and see if it might be possible to mix the dye with acetone. I am guessing that the MEK is way too powerful for the plastic... downside is that either way, I am guessing that the stamp will have to be wiped from the discs.

As far as technique goes...

1379619_221672588000794_733431971_n.jpg

This looks like what happens with really fast blowing air... and a more liquid consistency dye.

The dye basically ate through the disc.... feel free to try it yourself... but you have been warned lmao. Any other ideas?

Hey Goose - when you say "purple pvc stain" - are you referring to the cleaner that is purple that you use to clean the pvc before gluing together?

Latest posts