• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] The Worst Color Discs in your Bag

I have an S line FD that is this same shade of green. It was my first FD that I ever bought from Discmania and I fell in love with the mold, but it was nearly impossible to find when it landed in the grass. I've since replaced it with a different color.

Artboard+28.png

Fortunately not quite as grassy, but... My first run Gibson green luster Champ Leo3 is a bit similar. It's a bright enough green that it's not bad in most situations. But in lush woods of spring/summer, shaded by thick tree canopies, it has been a pretty tough one to find. I wantee a backup anyway, so I picked up a pink luster champ Leo3 from Infinite that will stay in the bag for greener seasons. The green one will come back out in the fall and winter, or courses with more dirt that grass and foliage.

I have a Gumbputt Blunt that very closely matches the color of sandstone that can be found at Diamond X. Fortunately I only really throw it for lay-ups and half runs within 200', and it does a great job of sticking where it hits (that's the whole point). So I never have too much trouble finding it.

Gumputt's and the other discs in that same plastic come on only hard to find colors. A local, Friend has some of the Gumputt's and Blowfly's and most of his are the classic navy blue they show on the DGA site with the 2 Gumputts as his main putters or the Blowfly in navy with one in the color of a traditional red #2 pencil eraser, a Blunt Gumputt. I have never seen colors that would be real easy to find for those Steady Ed plastic putters. I think the type of plastic or rubber used for the Steady Ed plastic putters can only be found in colors that can blend in easier with the surroundings.

One of my worst was my first DD Truth. Fell in love with the disc and beat it into a straight laser beam. Surprised it made it that far as it is an lucid purple and quite translucent. Got tired of looking for it on errant shots. Funny thing is I took it out of the bag because I didn't want to lose it because I like throwing it so much, but taking it out of the bag means I don't throw it. Replaced it with a bubble bum/white swirly fuzion truth that is very easy to find but haven't gotten it to the sweet spot like that purple one.

Second one was my moonshine river. Loved that disc but it was pretty clear and with that river glide, when it went off track or clipped a tree it went deep. I don't remember actually loosing it though, but it is no where in my bag or box of discs. Might be sitting right in one but I can't see it.

My bag is primarily bright oranges (still pretty visible in the fall leaves), pinks, whites and a few light blue with white bursts. I finally put my foot down on new discs and regardless of how good they feel, I will pick one of those colors or just wait to find the right color down the road.

My putting putter is dead on grass green though, but I don't throw it over about 50'.

i have a clear smoke color X3 that I have to look for at least once a round if throwing it. I keep taking it out of my bag then throwing its replacement in Lake Marshall and it keeps sneaking back in. Sisyphean. :)

I throw some green, but I try to make sure I pick up some kind of dayglo chartreuse if I have a choice in it - why does it seem like the discs I find in the proper configuration of weight, plastic, PLH etc are green?

I don't mind clear - I think I would choose a natural clear beauty over anything honestly, just because you almost never see them these days.

I was a fan of black for a bit, especially in putters, but they heat up excessively in the sun and are terrible to find in any sort of brush as you can imagine. Pretty easy to spot in the field comparatively.

Swirled are notoriously bad, probably the new most-lost disc over the factory tie dyes. Oh well, I even like the poopy ones to be honest.

I've no problems with swirled plastic.
There are no tie dyed discs in my bag... for a reason.
Hardest colors for me to find are:
plain yellows that aren't particularly bright.
dark colors (e.g. dk blue, maroon, dk purple, black)... so I really don't bag them.

I try to use discs that provide good contrast to the season, and may even favor one disc over another on a given shot to make it easier to find if the shot doesn't go as planned.

This thread reminded me that I found this Wraith a couple of years ago, can't imagine how someone lost it. Took it out for some field work yesterday and it's kinda mellow for a champ Wraith, flies great. Gonna put it back in storage now.

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_185331.jpg
    IMG_20190730_185331.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 66
I was going to mention my olive green Z-FLX nuke, but...ahhh...I just lost it this morning in knee high weeds. And given that it floated over a fence and down a hill into said weeds, I have no idea whereabouts to look within the 5000ish square feet it could be. Was going to return with a weed whacker and/or machete, but then thought that given the coloration (point of this thread) maybe I'll just abandon it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to mention my olive green Z-FLX nuke, but...ahhh...I just lost it this morning in knee high weeds. And given that it floated over a fence and down a hill into said weeds, I have no idea whereabouts to look within the 5000ish square feet it could be. Was going to return with a weed whacker and/or machete, but then thought that given the coloration (point of this thread) maybe I'll just abandon it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why do brands still want to make discs in the harder to find greens? I can see the spring green/highlighter green color but outside of that do not make green.

This thread reminded me that I found this Wraith a couple of years ago, can't imagine how someone lost it. Took it out for some field work yesterday and it's kinda mellow for a champ Wraith, flies great. Gonna put it back in storage now.

I like the LGBT+ colors Because I am Bisexual. I can see how it would be hard to find in the right setting.

Bad colors

OK, I found a disc that is a poor color choice. Dark brown lucid Trespass. The thing looks like mocha coffee. The disc itself is striking to look at, but damn near impossible to find anywhere you throw it. I was throwing in weeds/dead grass recently and had to keep a good eye on it.

Seriously, why would you make a dark brown disc? I also have a Zeus that's grass green.

The brown Trespass was probably the hardest to find disc I've ever encountered.

I have a Tournament Stag that is basically purple/grey and it disappears like crazy.

I have a dark brown Thief. Probably the worst colored disc I own. I buy way too many dumb colored discs. I own a lot of clear ones, forest greens, dark gray. That brown Thief is definitely the worst though.

I have a black KC Roc. I bought it cause it looks really cool. After a couple times throwing it and spending more time looking for the disc than playing, I put the disc in storage. I could have traded it in, but i kept it cause it looks cool!

I haven't bagged any salient disc in 5/6 years but this is the hardest to find disc I've ever bagged.

Attachments

• E0F64F89-7E3C-425D-9FDD-605EFBA2EC60.jpg
    E0F64F89-7E3C-425D-9FDD-605EFBA2EC60.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 24
I do not remember if I have posted in this thread or not, but I really like the recycled plastics from all manufacturers. That had resulted in a few discs that are a problem. One of my Terns looks like they used St. Augustine grass juice to color it. Several other discs look the same, but with brown pine straw.

I bought a few of the LE black K3 Bergs (ghost stamp) and they're the first black discs I've thrown in 20 years for a reason. Even on a good upshot I'm spinning in circles trying to locate it.

I'm sure the matte finish doesn't help, my buddy throws a black Star Firebird that somehow we always easily find...maybe it's the gloss finish and red foil stamp?

Latest posts