• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc stats from my last 27 rounds

auzcar

Birdie Member
Hello people!

I did this for my own viewing pleasure, but maybe someone else can find it interesting. Stats are attached. I did this on my phone and hopefully you can open the picture and zoom in enough to read the stats, otherwise I'll fix it later.

In the beginning of the season I rebuilt/arranged my bag according to the classic US-S-OS template in each speed category. This meant bagging more molds and discs than I usually do. I did this with the intention to track how often I threw every disc to get an idea of what type of discs I rely on, which ones I almost never throw and so on. Why? Because it might help me in building a simpler bag catered to my game, and also stats is fun.

Originally I had four stabilities in each speed category but decided to narrow it down to three. First off, so that it's clear what US-S-OS even means, this is how I defined it. Also note that this is how the individual discs actually fly for me, not how they are intended to fly or how the flight numbers say they should fly. (RHBH)

UNDERSTABLE:
Discs that when thrown flat or on a small hyzer will flip up and then turn some more and have a finish to the right of the line it was thrown on. The turn should be greater than the fade.

STRAIGHT:
Discs that when thrown flat or on a small hyzer will ride straight and then either finish on line or slightly to the left. Smaller to medium fade. These discs might have some turn, or they might not, the important thing is that the fade is equal or greater to the turn. They should also be able to hold all the lines pretty well, if it flexes out of an anhyzer hard it's too overstable.

OVERSTABLE:
The discs should have firm HSS and absolutely no turn. Thrown flat they should fly straight then fade hard and thrown on an anhyzer they should flex out. Shouldn't be affected by wind much, if at all.

I will show what discs/molds I've used but keep these definitions in mind since they tell you how the discs in that category actually fly for me, which is the important part.

For those interested, these are the discs I used. If there's a number of discs listed in one category it's because I've bagged them both or because I've swapped between them, but they still all fly like the definitions above. Discs primarily thrown and most often in the bag is put first.

PUTTERS
US: Electron Envy (beat in)
S: Eclipse Envy

MIDS
US: Fuse
S: Hex / Reactor / Buzzz

FAIRWAYS
US: Crave
S: Undertaker /Teebird3 / Anax

DISTANCE
US: Wraith (beat)
S: Destroyer (beat) / Wraith (fresh)

I have two home courses (of which most rounds are played on), one shorter and heavily wooded and one longer, more open and usually windy course. I decided to make two groups of courses to see what the differences might be, in one group I put shorter wooded courses and in the other group I put longer open courses. This is blunt, I know, but maybe still fun to analyse.

SOME THOUGHTS:
- Overstability = predictability and this shows, I rely a lot on my overstable discs simply because they're accurate and I can control where they land if I have room to throw them.
- I almost only use my mids to throw straight, if I want fade or turn I step up or down in speed. Why that is I don't know, probably familiarity and trust in the putters and fairways.
- Surprisingly to me the stability on the discs thrown doesn't change much inbetween the course types
- Not surprisingly I throw faster discs on the longer courses, duh…
- Firebird is by far my most thrown disc and the cornerstone of my bag.
- My game would probably be just as good with only 8 discs:
Putting putter
Straight throwing putter
Overstable approach
Straight mid
US fairway
Straight fairway
OS fairway
Moderately OS distance driver

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220718-210936~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220718-210936~2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 62
Even when viewed at max size the attached image was just too small.
It sounds like you got some good information from this, but since I have no idea how you throw I don't see how it would help me...other than the fact that it may illustrate that throwing less discs may be advantageous! :D
It could be helpful for someone who throws very similarly to you, but you didn't indicate your throwing style, typical distance, rating, etc...
Looks like you put some thought into this "experiment" which can definitely improve your game!

It sounds like you got some good information from this, but since I have no idea how you throw I don't see how it would help me...other than the fact that it may illustrate that throwing less discs may be advantageous! :D
It could be helpful for someone who throws very similarly to you, but you didn't indicate your throwing style, typical distance, rating, etc...
Looks like you put some thought into this "experiment" which can definitely improve your game!

Yeah and I get that, I just thought it could be fun to share the data, it was never my intention to make it educational for others to improve their game.

For reference this is me summerized as a player.

- Rating: Fluctuating around 920
- Golf distance around 140m/460 feet (BH)
- I throw mainly BH but have a servicable FH as well up to around 100m/330 feet
- My strength is my driving and distance, and I basically get progressively worse the closer I get to the pin

I've never been a fan of this type of bag style. But it's interesting for what you used it for. I see posts on reddit and other places "what is my bag missing???"
The bag is missing somebody to properly throw the discs and execute the shots.

har har har.

I prefer to run on a core lineup style of discs, then swap random things in and out to find out if there are other discs that replace core discs, or complement my "serious" bag better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTHy0CuyjoE

I made a video about this a long time ago.
Jeebus, I didn't realize it was 25 minutes.

If I remember, the video was about why you should do an in the bag to help build your bag, as you're forced to talk about what discs do and you'll see the holes you have?
It was a while ago.

I don't have anything productive to add lol.

I did think its funny that you put your teebird3 into 'stable'. I have this green metal flake teebird3 that is one of the most overstable things I have touched, and it has stayed that way. I don't think any human can turn this one over.

Latest posts