• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Approaching island holes

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
The past few times I've come across island holes or open field sub 300' holes, I noticed i have been trusting overstable discs throwing a hyzer line, rather than throwing straight at the basket. I worry about early/late releases, or throwing on a bad angle, which is why I've been leaving my straighter flying discs in the bag.

Is this strategy normal and okay to do? Should i be practicing more straight shots? How do you all approach these scenarios?

Overstable spike hyzer is the most consistent shot. I'll choose this most of the time as long as the line is available.

Nothing wrong with practicing the straight shot, it's just harder to execute consistently.

Overstable spike hyzer is the most consistent shot. I'll choose this most of the time as long as the line is available.

Nothing wrong with practicing the straight shot, it's just harder to execute consistently.

Couldn't have said it much better.

However, my preferred method is load the disc onto the u-boat. Drive it across the pond, engage the targeting system and launch the disc into low earth orbit dropping it on to the basket.

No, honestly. I generally just skip the hole unless its a straight water carry off the tee pad, or I'm throwing poorly.
I dont care to loose discs and have them not returned.

Couldn't have said it much better.

However, my preferred method is load the disc onto the u-boat. Drive it across the pond, engage the targeting system and launch the disc into low earth orbit dropping it on to the basket.

No, honestly. I generally just skip the hole unless its a straight water carry off the tee pad, or I'm throwing poorly.
I dont care to loose discs and have them not returned.
Here in the near desert environment, our courses have fake islands. The basket surrounded by flags or a barriers. You'll lose a stroke but not a disc thankfully

Here in the near desert environment, our courses have fake islands. The basket surrounded by flags or a barriers. You'll lose a stroke but not a disc thankfully

Rollers all day.
hahahaha.

I like those holes though honestly, and in that case, hyzer all day unless you have a back stop.
If its a backstop style hole, then I'll throw low punch shots at the backstop/hill.

Spike hyzer is your friend and I think the most common throw for an island green. The benefit of a spike hyzer is the disc won't skip OB after landing safe. A flatter hyzer will work if there is a barrier around the island to catch/stop the disc from sliding/skipping OB.

One more vote for the hyzer. It affords the biggest margin of error.

Playing it with a low glide putter or midrange also makes the skips smaller.